If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you

>if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

What did he mean by this?

The tormentor becomes the tormented. People become what they love and hate, because their mind focuses on it. The hall of mirrors folding in on itself. Madness.

He was talking to god.

Nietzsche, at his height read, is an artist variant of the philosophertype. He offers postulates of potential existential truth, not definitions. Get it by now, demonrace.

It's pretty obvious what he meant if you included the whole quote.

first time opening goatse.

Doubt everything

More like: "Be careful what your own motivations are for going to war with others, because they might end up turning you into that which you are warring against"

Makes no sense, desu. If I hate f.e. gays or black with all my might, I don't become either of them.

keksimux

All these responses are shit. He was talking about "nihilism" or Chaos, which we can almost experience, but ultimately do not. We dread it, but at the end of the day we are inherently moralists desu. Nietzsche was anti-nihilist.

maybe read the man in the high castle

Thinking about nihilism all day, even hypothetically, also hollows you out after a while.

Depends what about gays and black you dislike.
If you say blacks are too violent to coexist with white people and you chimp out while trying to reach your goal, you are become a nigger

that's where you're wrong

If I take Nietzsche's philosophy to its conclusions, what happens?

What will I look like? Be like?

you would be a fucking revolutionary
probably like jeremy hammond in jail

the more you think about how other people think, the more you think about how other people think about you, then the more you think about yourself like other people think about you

bertie says byron's corsair would be in jail

think napoleon crossed with mohammed

You actually do.
Homophobia is closet homosexualism.
You hate the hateful for his hatred.

this argument can be even extended to blacks.
you probably hate them because of their "primitivism" yet the most primitive urge of all is racism

That you're a weak(willed) piece of shit.

>hating gays makes you gay
>racism is primitive
This fucking mental gymnastics

terrible meme

Hating makes you yourself a hateable person.

Although N.'s quote is itself taken out of context because it's so widely applicable and poetic ... the original meaning, besides what it might seem to mean taken out of context, IIRC, is that if you stare into the (nihilistic) abyss (of lack of standard universal values), this will begin to affect you profoundly until you become a nihilist yourself.

>Hating makes you yourself a hateable person.

maybe i hate so much because i love so much. why can't people understand this? :(

because it doesn't make any sense :(

If you are bigoted with extreme prejudice against these people you consider undesirable, you yourself become an undesirable hateful ass

Bad is the opposite of good
I love good things
I hate bad things

That's because you're wording it stupidly.

The hatred you feel towards degenerates will eventually turn into a degeneracy.

>racism is primitive
>mental gymnastics
The only gymnastics here is you trying to have this discussion without knowing what primitive means.

only correct answer itt

>Homophobia is closet homosexualism.
yeah nay
you're watching too much TV

Only one way to find out