>>8946316

t. illiterate redneck alt-right STEM-cuck

You really showed us

I see the STAAR test is just as dogshit as the TAKS test.

The article is actually talking about how badly concieved the questions were and how stupid it is to use a multiple choice test to prove reading and language skills.
IDK how you jumped to the assumpions that all philology is unfalsifiable bullshit.

Also, related to you assumpions (but not to the article)
>A text may be subject to more readings than what the author intended
MORE NEWS AT 11

>/pol/
>reading past the headline
You are giving OP too much credit

Wow you sure blew the fuck out of seventh grade standardized tests, those cocky bastards sure had it coming.

>Pseudo intellectual academia-media-publishing industrial complex hangers on ON SUICIDE WATCH (oh wait, they have no shame).

Are you always a faggot like this?

ah shit guys turns out authorial inent is not the golden standard of textual readings

oh no

help

>actually defending this
looks like OP struck a nerve. Get fucked academicucks

Whatever you say OP.

No, you just didn't read/ understand a Washington Post article, and I mean that on a surface level. No one is defending it, you just either can't or won't read. And now you're throwing academia around like it's a bad thing... jesus.

>getting so butthurt that you chimp out and force your estrogen snark in every thread matter how unrelated
this ain't reddit honey
I'm not OP. Academia is still for cucks. Cuck.

Whatever you say OP.

I'm really grateful for this article, I've constantly encountered some of the most bullshit, subjective multiple choice questions on standardized English tests/practice AP exams I had to do that it pisses me the fuck off. There's still a few questions I remember fondly in which I definitely insist that the AP/whoever made the test was themselves wrong and forcing their own shitty interpretation on it.

Every interpretation can be "right" or "wrong" depending on the criteria. But the BS is that the academia-media-publishing industrial complex wants you to UNQUESTIONABLY believe THEIR ONE INTERPRETATION OUT OF

INFINITELY MANY

and ignore your own.

THATS MY BEEF, not positivism or wittgensteinian-anything

>Dose of reality: test makers are for-profit organizations. My poems are a whole lot cheaper than Mary Oliver’s or Jane Kenyon’s, so there’s that. But how would your vulnerable, nervous, number two pencil-gripping seventh grade self have felt opening your test packet to analyze poetic lines such as this:
>I’m just down with a sniffly case/of sudden-self-loathing-syndrome … an unexpected extra serving/ of just-for-now-self-hate.
>Seriously? Hundreds of my poems in print and they choose THAT one? Self-loathing and self-hate? Kids need an extra serving of those emotions on testing day?
>I apologize to those kids. I apologize to their teachers. Boy howdy, I apologize to the entire state of Texas. I know the ‘90s were supposed to be some kind of golden age, but I had my bad days and, clearly, these words are the pan drippings of one of them. Did I have a purpose for writing it?
>Does survival count?
Women should be banned from writing poetry

>not having every single one of your test and final exam questions already answered and available on science-forum.com

hah plebs
god bless american university

>cheating
truly the lowest of the low

Thanks for responding, I definitely agree. Unless you meant to respond to someone else or think I disagreed?

>ctrl+f
>search "cuck"
>4 results
>sage, report, close tab

>being triggered by memes
I bet you're a female too

no, i agree with you and not with the pseuds on lit

enjoy paying over $200 to take your gre

>there's all sorts of great poetry in the public domain
>they pick "I’m just down with a sniffly case/of sudden-self-loathing-syndrome … an unexpected extra serving/ of just-for-now-self-hate."

what the fuck

I dunno, those questions seemed typical, age-appropriate, and to have clear answers. Can't tell if the author is joking.

They're doing the students a favor. Most kids naturally hate anything that they're forced to do in school, so it's better that they read shitty poetry at school and read the good stuff on their own than make them prejudiced against great poets by giving them garbage tests about them

I can't speak to the middle school staar tests but the highscool staar English tests set the bar embarrassingly low. Aside from being too easy they are well made though. The people crying about them are stupid babies.

> multiple choice
> ????

when i was in school we had to write a text to tell what the author was meaning and underly it with arguments so that any answer could possibly be right if you had solid argumentaiton.

Sorry user, that's too hard to grade.

>philology
Wut. What does philology have to do with anything OP said?