>literally nothing interests me
>don't even look at books anymore
>at most I'll read click bait articles now and shitpost

Anyone else know this feel

This isn't the 'feel' board, you pathetic frogposting piece of shit

Harsh but 100% fair

no, you're just stupid

Same for movies as well, OP?

Try nonfiction and an involved, serious topic like physics or law.

I was in the same spot as you a few years ago.

Desu everything-lit, history, politics, science etc

Might be right about the movies

do the math bud. have you been reading 2 books from the canon every week since you were 14?

start reading poetry

Do you need a trigger warning for a cartoon frog?

I'll double this recommendation. I was 25 when something similar occured (so you're a bit of an early bloomer op).

In this case, really, I don't think it's literature itself that is getting old (similar to how a good meal will always be appreciated by the body, if you're a reader, books will always be in your life, even if they have to return to you), but instead, it's a combination of 'you' getting older and moreso, your 'routine' getting older.

If you spend a huge amount of your time reading, then by now your body has lost all sense of any of the novelty that once came with sitting down with a book. Your body is instead reading every 'new' reading session as "here we go evaporating again" (a feeling compounded by reading things that aren't particularly challenging, or if you're just reaffirming your own beliefs as you read, which we often can't help but do). And yeah, getting older is part of it too. As we try to do even things we know are good for us, what once came as play is now replaced by your jaws clenching as focus vaporizes.

A big part of this is conditioning and all that jazz, but too, it's that we're at least semi-conscious to the idea that we're allowing our bodies to fall into the Pynchian line of regularity/routine/complacency in our habit. So we can read all the Bataille/Evola/Plath we want and more than anything, our bodies are 'reading that' as "here he is, sitting in a chair again. File it away boys"

If there's an answer, it'll probably result in a lot of questions for you. What worked for me was laying off reading for a while, and focusing on the other stuff. If you don't have any, find some. Aristotle's Golden Mean after all can refer to the balanced life.

Basically. I loved to read and felt that I needed to constantly learn since adolescence.

t. autist

Pls Kys

Have you met /tv/ ?
It is time for you to ascend to the next level big guy. The age of kino is upon you.

>Somebody makes a reasonable claim against something
>Haha u triggered brah?! xD

This gay meme needs to die asap

>This isn't the 'feel' board, you pathetic frogposting piece of shit
>reasonable claim against something

>literally getting upset at memes on Veeky Forums

It's about wanting literature threads on the literature board. There's clearly a correlation between these frogshitters and shitposting. The OP even said it himself

This is literally a "DAE know this feel :(" thread, complete with a fucking Pepe image. This garbage belongs on /b/, and you faggots are why this board has gone to shit over the past 2 years.

I doubt you've read a book.
In fact I wouldn't be suprised if you've just read 1000 books worth of r9k posts.

Sebastian?

I know this feel, but I've come to believe the internet and the culture of distraction is the cause.

In-depth interests die when they are drowned in a sea of instant gratification, sound bites and superficial blips of information.

This. You have to block out shallow interest entirely. It can't even be for five minutes a day. I was on that path before the election, and I was really making progress, but then this clusterfuck of political retardation pulled me back in.

There are likely eras and places you've completely overlooked, yet because you've read so much you're completely confident you've read it all. Have you read the Chinese and Indian epics and poets? The Shahnameh? Medeval literature? Fatigue sets in when you're within your comfort zone.
Also travel and get laid, go to museums, eat good food, literature is fantastic but it can't be your everything.

>DAE
Go back to /r/eddit

>reads over 100 books every year
Sure thing bud

>Also travel and get laid, go to museums, eat good food
consume, consume, consume

when did you realize you were a living meme for industrial liberalism?

Sebastian's read over 2000 and he's not a whiny faggot about it.

good post

>Also travel and get laid, go to museums, eat good food
Don't do any of those things. Instead, hate everything and learn to live with it.

That's not actually that hard, unless you have an active social life.

I work a full time job (3 shifts) and read 98 books in 2016.

Everything we know is based on what we take in from the senses you underaged faggot.

your espousal of empiricism has not the remotest thing to do with my post

are you gore vidal? he hates EVERYTHING

It means the basic day to day of life is consumption, and spouting "consumerism brah" like a sixteen year old that just discovered System of a Down doesn't change that fact.

>duuuude just like, get laid, and travel, and eat food, and shit
You're a fucking meme. Go post another selfie to Instagram, cuck

Adorable. I hope all those books you surely read all the time will help you grow up one day.

The life of a dog is consumption too.

just like how exercise and eating right is a meme, amirite?

and they're happy.

Enjoy your happiness.

you have no idea what consumerism means

you're too dumb for this board, go back to

You're a meme of consumerism. The "travel, get laid" shit is a platitude for dumb people. Not everyone wants to be a posturing, hedonistic sheep.
Nope.

You can't "unsheep" yourself without consuming, you damn sillyhead.

I accidentally got laid a bunch and I went to italy once, does that mean I'm a sheep now?

shut up cuck

>serious replies intimidate me

I know rich people who travel. They are mostly either unfulfilled or alcoholics. The ones who aren't are idiots.

Consumerism isn't consumption. You're basically a meme of a normal who blows money on worthless garbage to make himself "happy". Go to Facebook.
epic! upboated

Traveling, sex, good food, visiting places that provide art are "worthless garbage"? What are you even talking about. Seems like you're trying to argue with me about something that is not even the topic.

again, you have no idea what consumerism means

you're either arguing in bad faith, or you're mistaking the mere act of consumption with the ideology that the consumption of ever more transient luxuries is the good (a meme created by advertisement agencies)

Hard subjects like physics work for me. It's not as stimulating as anything I enjoyed when I was in my late teens, but it's something you just get used to.

Life isn't a TV commercial.

so the problem with OP is not that he's spending the prime years of his life in his room by himself miserable and shitposting on a taiwanese baseball cap bulletin board? that ideally he should be spending more time in there if possible?

They're things you enjoy while either young or stupid. Which one are you? In the long run, all you have is your life's work. Everything else is background noise, if it's still there at all.

The solution to being a lazy sack of shit isn't becoming a neurotic, consumerist normalfag.

If you relate these things to a "TV commercial" then that is entirely your own personal problem.

travel doesn't mean dropping thousands on a shitty caribbean cruise

Not really. The neurotic impulse to consume more and more isn't your own. You're repeating meme phrases that advertising has shoved down your throat as something inherently good.

It's entertaining how this post both correctly interprets the one it's responding to (by saying 'consume consume consume, user's criticising consumerism!) and then completely misinterprets it (if you think about it, we're consuming things all the time!) in a single sentence.

What's so neurotic and consumerist about going outside and realizing the world is far bigger thing than yourself?

You cannot grow as a person without what you call "consumerism."
It's not like I recommended OP to buy a new iPhone. It's about new experiences.

that's pretty much exactly what it means these days

people talk about how they love travelling as though they were Magellan, when they're just dropping thousands of dollars to go shopping in Milan instead of in their own local mall

"travelling" is as much of an industry as McDonald's, the difference being that it's an acceptable interest for an "urban, educated, hip" person to have

traveling means going from here to there. rest assured user you don't need to buy a shitty rick steves book in order to go to another place, you can keep your misplaced sense of dignity and still get new experiences.

>the difference being that it's an acceptable interest for an "urban, educated, hip" person to have
All you are proving is that you're a completely unhappy, bitter fuck.

enjoy your happiness then

>in which everyone ignores the literature part and it devolves into edgy teenage marxists arguing with idiot shitposters

>well, i like what i like, so i don't care what you say
typical, tired teenage response

Not that user, but trying to 'grow as a person', 'expand your worldview' etc seems a somewhat neurotic thing to be doing. Suggests you're not satisfied with yourself.

But anyway, there are also non-consumerist ways to do that, eg going for a walk.

OP is literally not satisfied with himself, that's the point.

>Suggests you're not satisfied with yourself
Oh, like most people on earth? Surely it's not worth talking about then.

>get new experiences.
lol, there is nothing "new" about it, you're visiting some sterilized location, following the preordained path for tourists, buying things you could have bought at home, all while you take pictures which you post on facebook to boast to your friends (though you pretend it's not a boast)

every "experience" you have is bought, and a million other people have been down the exact same path. you're plastic, not a real person with a soul

"Going for a walk" is interchangeable with "traveling", actually.

user asked what was neurotic about it. I suggested an answer.

So do you agree that there are non-consumerist ways to 'better yourself'?

Of course. Unless you consider traveling exposing yourself to new experiences to be "consumerism." Though my point still stands, consumerism isn't always inherently a bad thing.

>literally every place that is not your immediate surroundings is a tourist trap
grow the fuck up

It's s new experience to you and that's something.

Look I've travelled on every major continent and I've come to the conclusion that anything worth seeing has already been marketed, commidicized, and sold to a few hundreded thousand before I arrived. I accept that but am glad to have experienced it to move on to the smaller towns, meet locals, forge relationships, and perhaps learn something new. Ultimately travel fuels wanderlust and the chance to gain experience not possible between the pages. If it's ultimately lackluster then take a look at your company, mindset, and itinerary. It should be an open living book. I'm sorry for your if it's not.

>Unless you consider traveling exposing yourself to new experiences to be "consumerism."
That would be a bizarre definition of 'consumerism'. But it seems to be exactly what this post was saying, which is why I was confused.

I said "what you call consumerism", not "consumerism". Because you, or another user, deemed traveling etc to be an act of consumerist slavery.

He's not wrong though???

Not really worth it, but for the sake of pointless arguing... you started the 'literally everything is consuming stuff' thing with and .

And 'travelling' in the conventional sense (people will generally be pretty confused if you use it to mean 'going for a walk') obviously does involve spending quite significant amounts of money.

Basically, seems to me user was using the standard meanings of 'consumerism' and 'travel', and you were moving the goalposts all over the shop instead of actually challenging user's points.

Underrated post.

I wish I knew how to escape this.