Hurrr consumerism and being a wage cuck are sacred <3

>hurrr consumerism and being a wage cuck are sacred you need to learn to love your miserable living conditions:^) be compassionate to everyone even people who are being cunts to each other ^_^
>Alienation is just our default setting
>hurr this is water
Is the final purpose of the modern liberal intellectual to make these kinds of weak defenses for the awful world that Capitalism has created?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Reminder that most people on lit couldnt interpret green eggs and ham

Holy shit that green text explains a guy I know too well and he is a huge fan of DFW. What is the water thing about though?

it's a sort of fatalism

Nobody knows about the Kenyon Commencement Address?
That's like one of the most well-known DFW works.

I've heard of it before but what is the gist of it?

Never resonated with me thought it was kinda depressing when he started talking about the lady working at the grocery store.

>the worldview of a retard drug addict who killed himself after crying himself to sleep every night all his life doesn't hold water and isn't worth the paper it's printed on

how old are you that this is surprising to you OP?

Pretty much what I said in the OP.
He basically breaks the truth to the young privileged expensive college kids that life involves alienated labor and consumerism and then basically tells them that the only way to live is to get the fuck over it and do more work and "choose how you think about things :^)"

Disturbingly accurate

The only thing ive read by him was Infinite Jest, and your post's implication carrots don't line up with the morals at all.

I'll read KCA now, though.

DFW disproved fatlism for his undergrad thesis

He didn't really but w/e

read good old neon

that should spruce up this potboiler for you

I read that thing. It fucking sucks. Why did he feel the need to invent a tensed modal logic to response to Taylor's argument?!

read Pale King nigga
it spells out what he was trying to say in TIW much better

Since when the fuck has the left wing been about defending capitalism? It's the exact opposite.

Fuck u op and fuck u guy in the pic

>it's an "American doesn't know what liberal means" episode
Hate reruns

Are you aiming that post at yourself? A left liberal typically believes that the markets are not to be trusted.

>Is the final purpose of the modern liberal intellectual to make these kinds of weak defenses for the awful world that Capitalism has created?
David Foster Wallace is a true capitalism apologetic. He believed that suffering and isolation are the true conditions of man and sought to make men into martyrs rather than encourage them to live. A boring Calvinist mindset that exults in self deprecation, an intellectual equivalent to religious self-mutilation. Every thing he wrote was in the style of confessional, but his greatest sin was not one that he confessed to. The worst thing I can say about David Foster Wallace is that he was boring, just like all the other yuppies.

America is politically stupid. It's intentional.

I think I have colon cancer now.

i still never found out if this is real or just meme'd

holy fuck this can't be real

It's pretty quick.

youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI

I go back and forth on it.

>it's an "American doesn't know what liberal means" episode
Hate reruns

Hi I'm David Foster Wallace,

But you can call me Dave, since I really value being a capital-O ordinary person. I've written a ton of books, fucked scores of wet tight puss, and made a load of money despite never holding down a full-time job for more than a couple days. But what I've realized after all this time, and all the drugs I've taken and wild parties I've attended and days upon days of reading and convincing college sluts to puke on each other in my bathtub is that the actual meaning of life, and the goal we should all strive for, is not empty hedonism or the kind of slacker lifestyle which has benefited me for over four decades. No way, man. What we should all aspire to instead is a life of working 9-6 in low-prestige job which grants us no social respect whatsoever, makes us seem like limp-wristed beta males to every girl we approach and which leaves no time nor energy for any personal ambitions, including literary ones, we might privately have. Dudes, if I can refer to you all that way, just trust me when I say that pushing that boulder up the hill, like the way old Sisyphus did, provides way, way more enriching a life than drifting for years in grad school, striving to achieve fame and then reaping every last benefit that fame allows you. Just trust me brothers, it's the best way to live. This is undoubtedly Water.

I've read Pale King and this is what he argues for:

his greatest sin was that he was really a disgusting narcissist right? that he basically thought he was jesus?

kinda but not really. The book actually has kind of a mean-spirited ending. Basically life is a pointless paradox, meaning is relative, people are traumatized and illogical, the only happy people are mentally ill people like stecyk (stay-sick)

maybe mean-spirited is the wrong word... it's definitely a tragedy though.
maybe you couldn't tell.

>I didn't get it

Of course you would react in such an angry way. You are a Last Man, a cancer upon this earth, you were met with the full brunt of the truth and instead of accepting it, you chose to write a childish angst thread like the little LAST MAN you are.

Enjoy being a LAST MAN forever, or should I say, a loser!

i think the scene where Shinn (get it?) realizes that bird cries are really more likely cries for murder and war than pretty sounds is pretty much the moral of the story.
people are really narcissistic and evil is the point he's making. remember the backbone story? that's a thinly veiled story of david's life.

>le i read a wikipedia page so i understand the entirety of a man's life

What's it like acting like a woman? You pansy cunt.

the chris fogle section also contains a large portion of david's veiled real-life experience after his parent's divorce
also the backbone story is the "kid who wants to kiss every inch of himself" story in case you were wondering. david is both the kid's father and the kid himself but you figure it out.

The central story is essentially about a narcissistic self-detached stonerbro drifter who learns to admire obscure, anonymous office workers working for the wider good despite the crushing boredom of their jobs. The animal metaphors appear throughout, including the first chapter which likens insects "always working all the time" for their fellow insects to the workers he would later describe at great length in a very empathetic if a little overdramatic way. He humanizes the "Suit" character of the 1990s, despised by too-cool-for-school edgelords who dismiss the lives of anyone working in a corporate environment (i.e. their dads). The book is great, but the speech at Kenyon was literally fodder for existential cuckolds.

To unironically prove that he could

Did you just assume anons gender??

right. i remember that line in the scene where sylvanshine is in the mr.squishee truck "creatures just did what they did".

interestingly this is the same company from his story, but it's now defunct which i think is neat when you consider what that story was about and the fact of david's death

in light of that you gotta find all the phantom and ghost appearances to be interesting... m sure you know how it comes around that excorcist-prank scene...

but i also don't think youre right in some ways. I don't think the narrator learns to admire any of the characters... they're all way too flawed.
all he does is allow us to sympathize with them while he also paints a nasty picture of their/our true natures.
on paper, what you said is what i think he wanted to do. but that's not what he did.
his story was much sadder than that.

the toni ware scene at the end, in my opinion, is more or less the other synopsis:
-traumatized human does erratic selfish thing to innocent person for what she wrongly believes to be a just reason. She then goes out and mails cash-on-delivery wrapped bricks (the book itself, as fogle states at the end of his "novella": a gift you already own)

the meredith rand story has a similar moral, while the other concluding scenes all help to paint an ambiguous picture of paradox, confusion, and subjective interpretation while this idea that "boredom" can be defeated is demonstrated by glendenning's realization as well as Drinnion's levitation (which is also possibly reference to david's noose?)

the last scene is basically just one of those "you're breathing right now" kinda tihngs.