ITT: We post the books we want to read this summer. I'll start

ITT: We post the books we want to read this summer. I'll start

>Introduction to Linear Algebra - Strang
>Probability Theory: The Logic of Science - Jaynes
>The Mathematical Mechanic: Using Physical Reasoning to Solve Problems - Levi
>Vision: A Computational Investigation into the Human Representation and Processing of Visual Information - Marr

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Chriss
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>want to
You won't with that attitude

Why is every book in every pic similar to (and including) the one OP posted a fuckin meme.

No one but edge lords trying to circle jerk each other reads that shit.

Just fuckin dog shit.

What the fuck do you read? Head first design patterns in java?

I'm trying to learn group theory. Fucking galois and his direct product groups confusing my ass

Working my way through this.

Analysis : I'm gonna be working through Tao's & Pugh's Real analysis texts (Already had a course with Rudin)

Linear Algebra : Schaum's Outline and Linear Algebra Done Right

Complex Analysis : Schaum's Outline and Ted Gamelin's book

Same actually

Good luck finding a job that needs that kind of math

Why is there always a bible in those reading lists ?

Anyways,
>Introduction to quantum computing - kaye, laflamme & co
>Classical mechanics - Goldstein
And maybe
>The art of electronics - Horowitz
to go with the completion of the Sedra & Smith and the Baker's on CMOS, but i'm not sure i'll have the time/it will be worth

Your handwriting is legit, user. Perfect for maths, desu.

Good luck on your endeavors. BTW how many hours a day does it take to understand a paragraph out of that book or do one of its problems?

>Liu - Algebraic Geometry and Arithmetic Curves
>Serre - Linear Representations of Finite Groups; Local Algebra
>Szamuely - Galois Groups and Fundamental Groups

Hopefully
>Algebra chapter 0, Ruffi
>Finish general topology with Munkres
>Algebraic topology by Hatcher
>if I finish, then onto vector bundles and K-theory by hatcher, or characteristic classes by milnor, which is what my masters research is going to be about

so you decided to go for algebraic instead of differential topology ?

Most jobs only require hs-level math. Very few jobs require math above undergrad-level. The point of learning advanced math is to give you tools to solve problems and to offer a new perspective to look at them. There's a reason math graduates are welcome to many fields, it's their problem solving ability.
And algebraic geometry is pretty comfy.

t. butthurt CS grad getting BTFO by math grads in data analysis

Don't waste your time, it progresses at a snails pace. Just read the arduino documentation and read a beginner electronics book

You honestly think he's doing that with the goal in mind of finding a job with it? Fuck man, he's just trying to have fun learning algebraic geometry.

>Algebra Chapter 0
I started it last December, so far its the only algebra book I really like.

To show that the entire list is a meme

About 70% sure, but I still want to do the first two regardless, so I'll have decided by then

D:

It was so pricey...

> to understand a paragraph
Not long, I have previously read other books on AG. My goal with Hartshorne is make sure my foundation is solid before I move on to more modern material.

>do one of its problems?
That can vary significantly. Some problems are really easy, others can be much harder.

Seeing the Bible in these lists always makes me crack up

Why, there's nothing wrong with reading the bible.

Classic text, Vakil's notes are also good, what specific field are you working towards? Arithmetic geometry, number theory, complex geometry?
I'd recommend simon's new book series on analysis, its pretty amazing.
You mean like mathematical biology, theoretical physics, financial math, data analysis, machine learning, and more?
You a langlands guy too user?
Try bott/tu's book, it's a nice blend of algebraic and differential topology, same with tom dieck's book.
Download your books online user, try libgen or something, if you really like em, then bye the book. I mean seriously some math books are over $100, that's ridiculous, hell I wouldn't do it if books were dover cheap.

As for me, i'm reading Reed/Simon (all four volumes) and Simons new five volume analysis text. Already familiar with a good chunk of the material in both but I've heard very good things about Simon's style of writing and want stronger/more diverse analysis background, I've actually almost finished reading the first volume of each series and have thoroughly enjoyed both. Also plan on perusing a few physics/geometry texts, namely Naber's two volume set, Jost, Nakahara, Frankel, Choquet, and fomenko, not really a proper read, just seeing which ones I like. The things I'm most exciting about reading though are Milnor's text, I've finally got all of them and want to read them all> For the most part I set my expectations way to high to complete all of it, but at the very least I want to finish Simon's book by summers end and the rest before the year ends. (just copyed my response on the other summer thread.)

>what specific field are you working towards?

Derived Geometry w/ a view towards physics. I am going to work through Huybrechts' book on Fourier-Mukai Transforms next while simultaneously reading through a book on Homological Mirror Symmetry for motivation.

Nice, a good set of books for mirror symmetry is the one by the clay math monographs 1 and 4, it nicely covers much of the physics and math needed for the program, though I imagine you already know a good deal of it. You plan on going the route of lurie?

>clay math monographs 1 and 4

Yeah I have 4 and already read through half of it. But it didn't prove any of the important theorems on derived categories of coherent sheaves, and I realized I couldn't on my own so I decided to go and strengthen my foundations via Hartshorne and later Huybrechts.

>You plan on going the route of lurie?

Haven't planned that far ahead.

Any other good mirror symmetry books you know of?

>Duncan - Conceptual framework of Quantum Field Theory
So I can understand QFT better beyond just calculating shit.
>Becker, Becker, Schwarz - String theory and M Theory
I want to learn something about string theory.
>Finish Geometry, Topology, and Physics - Nakahara
I had a few chapters left. Maybe I'll read some real math books on geometry/topology later.

I should probably read Wald at some point too, and try to find a good source for stuff related to topology in condensed matter physics.

No, I don't think there are many out there. And I think the clay books are the best anyway.

>jobs with that kind of math

A ton of them, like research scientist at Jewggle so you can study type theory, which is entirely algebraic geometry abstractions.

Every top hendge fund or quant trading firm generally hire for algebraic geometry and information theory expertise. Banks will also take individuals who study stochastic calculus to a high level for their derivatives research teams.

Hell, just taking what you know from grad level algebraic geometry and writing a library abstracting away the complexities of making your own types would be worth a lot of money in the finance world.

why do quant firms or hedge funds want people with algebraic geometry expertise, aside from algebraic geometry being perceived as the most difficult field of math?

*hedge

Because it is critical to the work they do, like building models and analysis on said model. Many times these models are filled with higher-dimensional objects and the PhDs in algebraic topology/geometry find invariants for them.

Every top hedge fund chief manager is usually a PhD in algebraic geometry en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Chriss

Another obvious job pathway is Elliptic Curves.

Anybody if they want can teach themselves advanced calculus and land a job on a derivatives team. It's a comfy 9-5 job, pays usually half decent. You can get a math degree P/T while working there, then move directly into their quant trading department. There, you will have coworkers that get hired away to the top of the top hedge funds and they put in a reference for you at those places, so in other words they take you with them where you make the real money.

Do that for 6 years and retire never having to work again. Go back to school and do research all day long, living off the interest from your pile of money from quant trading.

Computer Science grads should avoid the bay area like the plague too and parachute directly into Wallstreet instead. Same deal, start at Jane Street Capital doing algorithmic trading, one of your coworkers gets hired away somewhere and recommends you, now you're making like 3x what any Google employee makes.

How can you even get hired at one of those places without a PhD from an elite institution though?

Zee's book is a great second course in qft, so is weinberg's three volume set. For the math side of things fomenko's books are geared toward physics, there's naber's two volume set, or deligne's two volume set.
Fair enough, it'd just be nice to have a selection of sorts.

I had already went through Schwartz's book, I just wanted a deeper understanding. It seems Duncan's book is sort of inspired by Weinberg I-II but more condensed, maybe?

It would be neat to be able to read Deligne's set but I forgot a lot of math from when I was in school. Maybe someday.

>and Simons new five volume analysis text.
Holy moly.

Gonna recommend The Art of Electronics from the OP
You don't need to be an electrical engineer to understand it, but it will make you very well versed in electronics.

Some good texts that serve as prep for deligne's books that start from the ground up are choquet-bruhat's two volume set and charles nash's two books (also the other books I mentioned), you might wanna give them look.
It's actually a really great read, much better than folland (real and harmonic), royden, and possibly rudin.

Anyone know what the best book is for neural nets?

its winter where i am but im working through this. finding the questions at the end of each chapter take me about 20min each - so finding it tough but getting through it