Tfw rejected for publication again

>tfw rejected for publication again

Ha ha ha tiptop meme my friend ;)

at least youre qt

me too. probably going to trunk this novel, even though i had been working on it for five years and was certain it would be my "big break."

personal rejections and comments about how they enjoyed it make the final sting of "but i'm going to pass" all the more painful. on to novel #3, i suppose, although the passion that infused #2 isn't quite there yet. i hope it shows up in editing.

Is there nothing you can save from that novel?

not really. maybe someday ill salvage a short story or a character. if my next two novels both fail ill go back, revise all three, self publish them on amazon, and be a family man

>too lazy to write an agent about your book

At least learn the basics.

get a lit agent or make friends bud

I want to know more about your novel, user, as someone who's never managed to get an agent to read through a whole manuscript of mine :(

What genre was it? Which agents were kind and which were dicks? Do you know why they passed on it (either because they told you or because you have a hunch)? When you say you were working on it "for five years," what does that really mean? When writers say that isn't it more like two years of writing and three years of breaks?

TIA, hope you're still in this shit thread.

It was poetry submitted to a poetry journal, but thank you for your ignorance.

Man, you're here often; I don't know whether or not that's a good thing. Exactly how often do you submit for publication?

Almost weekly. I'm very prolific, and submit under a new name every time to avoid bias.

Post what you just sent out -- see if you get "rejected" by Veeky Forums or not.

Hold on, you're submitting poetry? Not genre or lit?

Would you like a recent poem that was accepted for publication?

Yes, that's right. I occasionally submit short stories as well.

I'm not the guy you've just asked, but I'm interested in what you've got. I would like to see what it takes to get some poetry out there.

I asked for some samples a few threads ago, and you never delivered; do you remember? What are the temperature of your feet?

feles bad

Better not be that fucking daveposter again

>Dear user, after careful consideration we regret to infor-

Thank you for submitting your story to ___. We read it thoroughly. However, we have dec-

I don't know what that means, but I usually write in blank verse or free verse.

I have no ego.

No, I just post uliliiliia as I consider him a major influence on my work and personal philosophy.

It feels bad at first but you get used to it.

Here is the poem:

For days we cross the highest plane.
I think of sea borders far from these stretches
of dust. This country's edge invisible as a trip line
or culture—a snag, a sudden immersion.

I long for a river to swim in
but we pass quickly into night with a crackle
of water-like light sliding over rocks
the sandy colour of peeled peaches.

By morning, my wet clothes hung to dry
In the window have frozen solid. The women
in my room have fine rivulets of blood running
from the softly steaming heat of their breath.

My cold skin is translucent, a blue hue in it
could be the stain of movement or a bruise.
Still it's home to me, like the remembered burn
and tickle of dusty carpet in sun, small mammal

howls, a forest along the sill, a window
to sit in. Framing is everything,
is the paint on my nails, turning feet from slugs
to sirens and the maraca

of my pulse, the invisible line behind me
and that wide red lake turning into sky
as birds rise and I part these rows
of bones to tell someone where I'm from.

>Wrote maybe 5 or so short stories in early twenties and tried to have them published in various places without success.
>Reread them years later and there all totally un-publishable garbage.

Holy fuck what was I thinking. I'm actually glad they didn't get published.

>It feels bad at first but you get used to it

you mean your poem? how long does it take to get used to it because I'm still cringing

Yet I am published and you are not.

The way you write your posts makes me think you're the same guy that pretended to be the Kiwi poet now pretending to be another. why always kiwis?

Other people have been emulating my posting style, but I am the genuine "uli-poster".

You're still claiming others' work as your own, on a weeb imageboard no less. Why?

I'm not plagiarising others' work. I wrote this poem:

I don't believe you. The bio of the poet who wrote that piece is:
"In 2013 Morgan Bach undertook an MA in Creative Writing at the IIML. She was the recipient of the Biggs Family Prize in Poetry, co-editor of Turbine 2013, and has had work published in Sport, Landfall, and Hue & Cry. ‘The fallings’ is from her debut collection Some of Us Eat the Seeds (VUP). There are some photos of the book launch on the Unity Books website."

I do not think that this person would write what you have written in this thread.

You'd be surprised.

Only proves you own the book.

Oh well. You're the one who isn't published :^)

>Yes that's right, I occaisonally submit short stories as well.
The thing is the market for poetry works best when the publishing house you are applying for knows you have a pre-existing audience.

Do you submit in person or go the anti-social way and just send an envelope and hope for the best?

Can't really explain my situations and experiences due to PR reasons, but one of the best methods one can get a unstable product published (and poetry is unstable in this market) is through active communication with the publishers and editors at the house you are applying for. If all else fails, you can pay them up front and sign a contract to buy most of your unsold copies in order to "fake sales", so they can break even and you can get your book out there.

Lots of NYT Best Sellers do this, although many of them have shares tied to book retailers who can artificially boost their sales enough to justify being printed.

Do you have spare cash to accomplish this or are you limited in budget and relying on this to break in?

I am actually, in physics :^)

OHHHH GET FUCKED ON BOARDWALK FOUR EYES

>Do you submit in person or go the anti-social way and just send an envelope and hope for the best?
That's my approach. I submit under a new name every time to minimise bias for or against me, as a matter of principal. I think this is the best approach.

That is where a lot of your problem stems from. Impersonal submissions tend to be far more easy to reject, since you aren't rejecting a person, but basically returning a book back to its sender and thinking nothing of it. While there have been situations where sending them like that has worked in favor of you, showing up in person guarantees that you have the full attention of the editors and publishers, and they won't be tempted to "quick reject" you since you aren't just a book title on a "to-do" list.

How many different publishers have you tried?

I think there's a misunderstanding; I only submit poems and short stories, not books.

Well, where do you hope/plan on having your items sold at? Brick and Mortar stores, anthologies/compilations, or individual selections online?

>someone thought they could make money off of selling my work, that means I'm good!
l o l

The best poets are recognised for their talents, no for how many books they move.

Most of my work isn't monetised.

>Need to send query letter
>No relevant publication experience and I went to a literally who university
I'm just banking on the strength of the prose at this point.

Publishing companies wont grab your work if its a waste of their time, money and resources. Your work "might" be good but they aren't going to invest so much resources into bringing a product out to an audience that's not there.

Do you have a following yet?

thanks for posting that pic. I like it a lot.

I respect you more than any MFA who skirts by on charisma alone.

>Publishing companies wont grab your work if its a waste of their time, money and resources. Your work "might" be good but they aren't going to invest so much resources into bringing a product out to an audience that's not there.
I'm not sending my work to publishing companies though. I'm sending them to literature journals.

>Do you have a following yet?
A small one, under my real name.

Okay, you're getting fucking annoying now. Just explain everything you're doing so I'm not misunderstanding everything your doing. Submitting [Poetry] and [Short Stories] via [Passive Submission] [Not For Profit] to [Literature Journals] to [Prove Your Worth.] Anything I'm missing?

There is no fucking way a lit. agent—actually, several—waded through an entire manuscript, then declined to represent. There is no way that ever happened.

Pro-tips for all you unpublished noobs:
>1. Send query letters to every single lit. agency and agent who's ever published a work you respect or is similar to yours in tone, theme, etc.
>2. 90% will ignore you. 10% will ask for the first 15-45 pages. This is presuming you're actually a quality writer and your query letter wasn't retarded.
>3. 99% will have those treatments rejected. If you get a request for the full manuscript, you are likely getting published. If you get more than one request, a bidding war is unfolding.

I worked for Frances Goldin in the Nineties as a proofreader and assistant editor and I have never once heard of any author making it to manuscript without being published.

Yeah, in a fucking academic poetry journal at some backwater public school. You're also fucking fat and ugly. Tie-dye doesn't work on anyone.

A fairly insufficient response from a "published" poetess I mean shitbird.

No, I was agreeing with you serving that guy, not against