"You have a cast iron skillet, right? I could never be with someone so bad at cooking that they have to use nonstick..."

>"You have a cast iron skillet, right? I could never be with someone so bad at cooking that they have to use nonstick..."

Yeah, I have one hanging above the fireplace at my cottage for decoration.

>greentext with quotation marks
Fuck outta here you dumb whore

>have several cast iron pans
>have to clean them with fucking chainmail and industrial degreaser
>spend almost half an hour every time
>all I wanted was some eggs and bacon

LOL you NEVER use soap to clean cast iron. because cast iron is porus

just rinse the bulk of the dirt of then re oil. and heat pan in the oven. if you do this then the pan(s) will out last you

I could never date a stock image.

You do realize some people cook different things, right? That doing what you suggest would mean that your burgers taste like fish, your vegetables taste like burgers, and your eggs taste like vegetables?

This is why the cast iron fanatic community has a reputation for not having a balanced diet.

yeah that's fine if I decide to make pan pizza and have to plan it a week in advance, making my own dough and stuff. I'll pull the huge pan for that and it's easy enough to clean but it sucks for daily cooking desu.

what the fuck is the benefit of using a cast iron skillet anyway? Please enlighten me, I'm curious

o-ok

There is none. Nu-male millennials like them because they're poor and can't afford anything better.

it can be made to do a lot of different things poorly if you're willing to spend 15+ hours a week rubbing flax seed oil into the pores and reciting sheryl canter quotes

making stuff as inordinately complicated as possible makes me a smart genius

for more insight on this form of mental illness head on over to /g/

Enjoy your iron on your food.

LOL

this, the occult rituals required for regular upkeep aren't worth making burgers or steaks without a grill or meme versions of oven baked food.

making daily meals in it is just horrible, I have no idea how people in the 19th century did that.

I thought you just scrap the stuff off once you use it and do the oil thing like once a week?

yeah I love making food then spending the next 20 minutes immediately scraping shit off the pan.

if you actually want to eat then clean good luck because once it cooks down all that junk is going to fuse itself into the pan.
then, because it's so rough and porous, you're going to basically file the surface and have to season it again.

Why not just use a stainless steel pan?

What if you just don't clean it so roughly? Get off the major stuff with a few good scrubs then leave it

ITT dorks who don't take care of their iron

seriously, just cook with it, let it cool a little then rinse and brush scrub with hot water. when the crud is gone, wipe a dab of oil and heat on the stove. literally takes 2 minutes.

You use an open fire in your kitchen, right?
I could never be with someone so bad at cooking they had to use an oven rather than controlling the temperature themselves.

Cast Iron pans are for try-hards.

sounds like hell

>You use an open fire in your kitchen, right?
Dude I wish I could do that. Chicken is 1000x better on open flame than in the oven. You wouldn't believe how many oven fuses I've popped because I try to get the temperature as high as possible.

it really depends what you cook, if it's properly seasoned, some stuff will just come off with a paper towel.
I like making bacon and have specific pan for bacon, so I just wipe it off, no problem.

but if you make something like a pizza that has tomato sauce and cheese and grease and you leave it long enough to eat, then cleaning is hell, and you really have to get all of it off.

That actually brings up a good point, cast iron is great if you're camping or if you're in a cabin with a fire stove.

I just bought an be these and you tell me this??

Can't I just use oil everytime I cook instead of seasoning it?

And I thought it was easy to clean. I thought it was non stick after you season it.

So it's more a matter of not being an idiot and if it needs a clean then clean it? Why do you cook bacon in a separate pan? The extra flavours would be nice right?

hahaha look at this guy he fell for the meme

if you wanted non stick and easy to clean you should have bought a teflon pan

iron pans are for people who want to cook and finish a steak properly.

>shutterstock
>quotation green text

I heard those are toxic....and they aren't really non stick.

What I should get is that square copper pan I see on TV all the time.

tbhwy desu teflon is only really useful for sticky shit like eggs or curries and maybe reaaally thin filets of fish. meats like pork, beef, shrimp, fish, garlic bread, etc all come out great in iron if the cook is worth a shit. teflon you gotta worry about warping or scratches or dents, and it can't go over a fire. dumb.

A seasoned pan doesn't take or give flavour any more than a teflon pan. Some retards confuse """seasoning""" for just keeping the pan dirty and greasy, leading to misconceptions like you can't fry fish in a pan without the next thing tasting of fish and similar nonsense.
>but if you make something like a pizza that has tomato sauce and cheese and grease and you leave it long enough to eat, then cleaning is hell, and you really have to get all of it off.
A thick seasoning of properly polymerized oil should have no problem with tomato sauce spillage from a cooked pizza. Cooking the sauce itself might be a bad idea, but if you have trouble making deep dish pizza or cleaning it off afterwards YDIWM.

>A seasoned pan doesn't take or give flavour any more than a teflon pan
But if you're cooking bacon and just wiping away the stuff after, some of the bacon grease will be left behind right? That's what I meant.

polymerized oil is just what it sounds like. a plastic-like coating. if you're JUST wiping with a paper towel, yes, bacon will be left of the pan. scrub under hot running water using a vinyl brush to get the bacon off without destroying the polymer. don't use steel or copper wool. the gunk will come off, the polymer "seasoning" will stay.

But why would you leave bacon grease in the pan like a retarded slob? Sieve the grease and store it it the fridge like you do duck fat, tallow or all your other flavourful greases.
Letting your pans impart flavour through a coating of rancid animal fat from your last cooking session is just stupid.

>But why would you leave bacon grease in the pan like a retarded slob?

millenials. children of ignorant boomers who bought the space age pan meme.

While I agree with your post 100%, there are some people who confuse seasoning a pan with keeping it perpetually greasy. Some people will even go so far as to recommend wiping iron or steel cookware with a thin coat of oil before putting it away.

That method does stop the pan from rusting, but it's totally unnecessary if the pan was properly seasoned in the first place.

this is a good source of iron in your diet. For reals

so when you pour off the bacon fat it is 100% gone right?
no need to wipe it or anything huh

Were you dropped on your head as a child or something? You wash the pan. You always work with clean pans. You don't store 'muh bakkun' in your greasy pan - you store it in your fridge by pouring it into a container and putting the container in the fridge. Then you apply water, brushy-brush and soap to your pan, so it's nice and clean for your next cooking session. Polymerized oils are not soluble enough to be damaged by mild detergent.

God damned, do you even read?

Browning meat
cooking smashed burgers
bacon
sausage
baking bread
crispy fried eggs basted in hot fat if your pan is good enough.

no acidic foods really
it's not for everything but it's very good at a few things
use stainless or carbon steel for anything else

there are a multitude of easy to follow videos telling you how to get the most out of a cast iron pan, old or new.

thin layer of veg or flax oil over the whole pan
oven at 500 for about 4 hrs
let cool
done

as with any pan, clean immediately after use
rub inside cooking surface with thin layer of oil, put on medium heat until smoking

wala a pan that will last you the rest of your life.

when you treat the pan afterwards by coating with a thin layer of oil and heating to smoke point the oil breaks down and bonds to the metal.

>use stainless or carbon steel for anything else
Carbon steel carries the exact same type of seasoning and has the same exact weaknesses as cast iron, with some additional ones as well. If your sauce it too acidic for a non-enamel cast iron pot or pan, a carbon steel one is no better.

>dropped on his head or something

He was homeschooled by evangelical christian parents.

sorry probably should have said "stainless and carbon steel"

>4 hours

No. The oil should smoke, and it's a smelly process, but 4 hours will destroy the seasoning. 30 minutes at 500F is plenty.

That doesn't make any more sense. Do you understand that what is commonly referred to as carbon steel is stiff, high-HRC, non-stainless steel?
For acidic sauces you need stainless or enamel. 'Carbon steel' doesn't go anywhere in any form in any sentence to do with tomatoes.

soak it overnight in soapwater and it'll be easy to clean the next day :^)

>The oil should smoke
Hm, well, initially yes, but only barely visibly so. It can be a sign that you're burning the seasoning. More importantly, it should _stop_ smoking, while maintaining temperature.
>and it's a smelly process
No. That's a sign that you're burning the seasoning.
>but 4 hours will destroy the seasoning.
Fucking nonsense. 500°F is only 280°C. That's well within what the oils will take without charring. To strip a pan back to silver grey you can almost double that. Four hours is needlessly long, but it doesn't hurt and 30min can be decidedly too short depending on your oven. A best case electric, circulating oven might get by with 30min - but just barely.
>.t has used +550°c josper oven to strip pan once

I have both. They have their uses. Get over yourself.

What? If your cast iron is still porous after seasoning it, you're doing something wrong. The whole point of the seasoning is to prevent the pores of the iron from catching the food, making mostly non-stick. The seasoning is also water and soap proof, it is not scrubbing proof. There's a reason why you use salt for cleaning the stuck on stuff.

>No. That's a sign that you're burning the seasoning.
I use olive oil, not flax. Lower smoke point, but it comes out okay. YMMV.

And this is how I learned that Veeky Forums doesn't cook.

bacon
potatoes anna
steak
dutch baby
grilled cheese
bacon
corn bread

You should use either vegetable oil or canola. The higher smoke points also mean that the polymer will have a higher tolerence for heat, instead of just crumbling away or flaking.

Sorry, doll, I'm not a biscuit bumper.

Three Griswolds and a Lodge.
Not sure what to do with the #14 though... Massive pan.

Because it's a bitch to clean. A seasoned cast iron pan is non stick enough that you get it all off in a few rounds of a brush rather than breaking out the scrubbers and elbow grease.
It's like teflon, except it doesn't warp, doesn't leave plastic in your food, can be heated above luke warm and doesn't turn into unsalvageable, carcinogenic non-non stick if you it accidentally gets a bit hotter once.

Different tools for different jobs.

If I am cooking a delicate food that sticks easily and I don't want to make a pan sauce then I'll use a nonstick pan.

If I am making a dish where I want to generate a fond to deglaze and make a pan sauce then I'll grab the stainless steel pan.

If I am doing something requiring a good strong sear then I'll go for the iron pan.

where in your post does it say anything about cleaning.
you say just pour off the grease to reuse it

>you say just pour off the grease to reuse it
As opposed to sloppy cleaning of the pan to impart bakkun flaywore on your next dish, like user originally suggested. Trail of posts, retard - follow it.

I'm not the guy you're replying to, but it's it fucking common sense that when you're done using cookware that you wash it?

>no acidic foods really
spotted the guy that didn't season

>he's too retarded to use stainless steel for everything, even eggs.

Step aside for the alpha.

Stainless steel for everything.

>Cast Iron
>Wipe out pan
>Scrub with salt
>Spend 2 hours applying and heating oil after each use
>Make house smell like shit
>keep away from water or it may instantly rust

>Non stick pan
>Soak in soapy water for 30 seconds
>Wipe with sponge
>Done

>Quality stainless steel pan
>Does everything cast iron does except better
>Does everything non stick does without carcinogens in my food
>Rinse in hot water after cooking
>Remove bits still stuck with spatula
>Wipe with sponge
>Done

>>Wipe out pan
>>Scrub with salt
>>Spend 2 hours applying and heating oil after each use
>>Make house smell like shit
>>keep away from water or it may instantly rust
Gee, Cleetus, if we're just going to plain make shit up why not:
>teflon pan
>chemical reaction
>house burns down
>fambly dead
>locked in syndrome vegetable in nursing home for 60y

None of what you described is even remotely true. If it was, do you really think anyone would use cast iron pans?

They're used by a niche group of fedora wearing fountain pen using straight razor LARPers.

>while on the subject of making things up, here something else!
Wow, you're sure trying hard to distance yourself from that group. I think the lady doth protest a bit much.

They have a large thermal mass - terrific for searing and the like as the temperature won't drop from contacting a cold steak.
They don't break easily.
After a good deal of use, they become nonstick due to polymerised lipids, with no need for gimmickly teflon.
Also contrary to belief, far easier to clean. Case in point, i was camping in a cave and cooking some pheasant in my le creuset pon a large open fire. When finished, I was asked by the missus how to clean it, and suggested that she throw it first in the fire, then the sea.
Cast iron dutch ovens are fun.

Every time I see "dutch" oven I think of that scene in The Sopranos where Anthony Junior learns about the "dutch oven", the act of farting under the blankets and cover your wife with them

I'm going to call dutch ovens Cocottes now, they are ruined forever

Who the fuck breaks skillets?
Only time I've heard of one breaking was a woman beating an intruder with one

Unf nice

I only use carbon steel.