Simple shit, you gotta read to this before you can be considered a man

Simple shit, you gotta read to this before you can be considered a man

>you gotta read 200 pages of awful prose to be a man

No

If topical relevance is all it takes to be considered a masterpiece, all those countless god awful politically charged drama shows on Shotime and NBC should be considered masterpieces as well.

It's good. Try out 2084 too, they're kind of related.

what should i read to it?

1984 is brilliant. It's like the matrix but for books

Animal farm

No. No, I'm sorry, but the Matrix is not a good movie. It's dumb fun, which can be fine, but it's not the same as reading. 1984 has more depth than that. Like there's actual subtleties to it that you've gotta work out. 1984 is more like A Clockwork Orange but for books. If anything, A Clockwork Orange is more like 1984 but for film.

Is this book really considered scfi?

>A movie is not like a book

Wow no shit dumbass

Well, as it took place in the future (relative to its release) and features strong themes of technology and advanced social control that didn't yet exist in the author's time, yes.

>be a character in 1984
>announce the exact same paragraph the narrator wrote 5 pages ago while describing the setting and political atmosphere

Orwell a shit

why be a man when you could be a god?

>tfw for once Ive read the book lit talks about

I think the book was alright, with some new policies being suggested in the politics, and while living in a 1st world country where the government tries to tax everything and has retarded rules for a lot of shit, this book was still quite relevant time wise, even if it was written decades ago.

Why be a god when you can be a dog.

why be?

Linking to /pol/ was a mistake.

I came from /r/books

I'm sorry, I couldn't tell the difference.

Don't feign offense at the comparison to pretend a stronger connection and understanding of the work than you have. Your writing gives you away, like here:
>No. No, I'm sorry
>Like there's actual subtleties to it that you've gotta work out
Strongly reminding of the mentality of a pretentious redditor.

Thanks user, that genuinely means a lot to me. It's nice to see *someone* appreciate the things you do.

Why does reading this book make you manly.

I thought it was good, didn't enjoy reading the chapters of goldstein's book though. Yea it helps explain how the Party was operating, but it was an absolute borefest. Ending redeemed that part in my opinion.

A Clockwork Orange has its own book and unlike 1984, it isn't blatant anti-Soviet propaganda.

I bet you don't like the articles in Moby Dick either you useless pleb.

Moron.

Good post.

they made us read that twice in High School, it wasn't that good. But it was better than Fahrenheit 451 which they I had to read 3 different years

>Wasn't that good

But it is one of the most important books you'll ever read.

>>announce the exact same paragraph the narrator wrote 5 pages ago while describing the setting and political atmosphere
I haven't continued reading it since.

The problem with 1984: it's too topical.

It was relevant in the early post war when empires were on the rise and the military industrial complex and advanced means of control and nationalism were on the rise. When the nation and ideology as government was waxing. However in our modern era it's simply not as relevant.

Politics in 1984 were three world spanning empires fighting an eternal war. The national government had all the power and was adept at manipulating the citizens. This was relevant at a time when the USSR was on the rise and had taken much of Europe. However things have changed and the national government doesn't have as much control as it used to. 1984 simply isn't as relevant as it used to be.

it's a bit cliche. Animal Farm and 1984 are his worst books actually

>worst books actually
>worst
>inspires countless threads here
>Known internationally by people who have not read it
>Is frequently used as a critique of oppressive, surveillance happy governments across the globe
>Is the reason why the word Orwellian is in the goddamn dictionary
>Freedom is Slavery. War is Peace. Ignorance is Strength
>Worst is Best

>implying 1984 isn't total rubbish and that phenomenology of spirit and écrits are not the most important books i'll have to read.

Do you even sniff?

I thought the goldstein book was one of the most interesting parts, along with the O' Brien conversations, because they're what separates the actual text, where the party does what it does for these complex but still perverse sociological reasons that can make you look at human history in a new way, from the general public's perception of 1984, which is an invasive government being ridiculously evil for no reason whatsoever.

Hell if more people could just carefully read the sections on double-think and newspeak it would go a long way to people not slapping those labels on every piece of political terminology or idea they don't like.

Ayn Rand spawns countless threads here and we all know where that leads.

Alright. I'll be the one to say it.

1984 is underrated. It's pretty good. It's just praised to the crack of heaven and back by Reddit autists, which -- I admit -- makes even me buttmad. But it's not actually that bad.

holy fuck, trolls pls go, youre hurting my already damaged mind. some of its 'subtle' but plz, for my sake..

I can't tell if the replies to trolls are also trolls. O, but that I were not caught between two such certainties...

Is there any value to reading 1984 today?

I've already read Animal Farm, which was an obvious satire on Stalinism and the Soviet Union, and Brave New World, which warns of capitalism and entertainment used to distract us from The Important Issues.

But I've seen 1984 referenced and quoted in so many articles and essays that I probably know all the ideas it tries to convey and what Orwell was trying to tell the world already. I can't help but feel that I wouldn't get anything out of reading it.

Even though you're likely gone, I have to ask: where is that line from?

Also, what if none of the posters are actually trolls? Scary stuff.

My brain you dongle. I was expecting someone to either laugh at the joke or call me a pseud for making it, at which point the real joke would be in the first sentence -- that I was a replying troll.

>awful prose

Terse =/= Awful.