Just finished Asimov's 'The Stars, Like Dust'

Just finished Asimov's 'The Stars, Like Dust'.

Holy shit, what a terrible book. I feel offended, actually. It has to be the worst last parahraph in literature. It has to be the most boring Sci Fi romance in history.

For sure not the best work by Asimov but it's not that bad, I could say it's an average Asimov work

>the Foundation series book 6
???
That's Prelude to Foundation

If you write as much as Asimov wrote, you're bound to generate some very crappy books every now and then.

This cover's offensively bad, and I don't think it's the artist's fault.

Well, he could have invested some time lapidating the books before writing 3 books per year, or something like this.

I mean, i really like his plots. I think they are very well done. But, taking Galactic Empire series as a parameter, the way he describes the sci-fi elements, the recurrent techonology (neuronic whips, visi-sonor, blater pistols), his social conservatism and the way he describes environments, objects and people are very boring.

I just he would be a better screenplay writer than a romance writer.

But i really like his short stories.

*i just feel that he would...

You don't read Asimov for having a glimpse of the technology of the future or bizzarre and incredible planets with their relative population...but for enjoying space-political thrillers with many science details (mostly).

Yeah, i like space thrillers. But in Asimov, it's like a medieval thriller. He's so damn conservative that if you replace planets for feudal castles, very little would change. He doesn't incorporates the tech into the social life, people behave as they were in 1400's.

Yeah, but the thrillers are cool, overall. I think he conceive a complex story with some exciting turnarounds.

As for the science details, i think that sometimes they go unnecessarily deep, making the reader ignore the meaning of the information.

>He's so damn conservative that if you replace planets for feudal castles, very little would change. He doesn't incorporates the tech into the social life, people behave as they were in 1400's.

Yeah totally true, in fact despite being probabily the most famous sci-fi writer ever he isn't even one of my favorites despite I really liked some of his works.Btw I think that that "medieval" thing is done partially on purpose, a negative view on the human nature.

Yes, i think it's the way he sees the domination relations (but it's a very superficial perspective).

But what makes me feel bad about his books is that it doesn't looks like he's trying to get better. It's like he's always following a romance formula and he never really "evolves" his society conceptions and his writing concerns.

It seems that he just changes the objects and the characters and creates a new book.

Yeah, he's not my favorite and i really liked some of his works too, but he's a very cheap "scientist author". I rather read a book by Carl Segan.

well that is sort of what would happen if we started spreading out into the galaxy, it'd be just like old history times again

It's a prety ugly cover, but I guess it was the trend of covers at the time. I have a copy from the 60s or 70s with this cover, which is pretty decent but has nothing to do with the story.

Also it's an awful book and I regret reading it.

The Gods Themselves is Asimov's best work.

Sure, if we start living in Mars we will return to the Middle Age society.

What a random cover. Is that a portal?

I think a lot of Asimov's books have nothing-to-do cover, but that's not really his fault.

I didn't know he wrote sci-fi, too

Asimov isn't sci-fi? Why?

I meant Carl Sagan, kek

Also I suggest the book this anonsaid, it's kind of different from the other and for sure one of his best ones imho

Oh, yeah. I've read only 'Contact', it's nice.

He wrote around 10 books per year. Fiction and non-fiction.

he still didn't deserve them aids :-(

>Asimov
>good
Asimov is dreck. Hard sci fi in general is probably the worst genre ever, it's only enjoyed by genuine autists or "science is f*cking epic" types.

He wrote so much and never improved one bit. It's astounding, really.

Good thing Asimov isn't hard sci-fi.
That's comfy though.