Professor averages out your grades but gives you the grade he "thinks" you deserve

>Professor averages out your grades but gives you the grade he "thinks" you deserve
>Professor curves the grade moving every ones grade up by a letter grade
What other bullshit have you encountered that managed to give you an A when you know you shouldn't have gotten one? I had both above happen to me recently.

Well the opposite happened to me last year when my school gave my class two letters lower than they were suppose to be giving. I got a B in mathematics while scoring A+ on 11/12 tests. I got a B in English while already studying a year ahead in further education. The grades only happened due to confusion in rating and they were irreversible. I was denied into a good school and felt humiliated.

Where do you live that a "good school" would reject you based on grades instead of some standardised test?

>fail almost all compsci exams
>ged test comes
>teacher calls me in panic, says he gives me enough points so i can take the ged
>thissmellsfunny.jpeg
>now i remember he never liked me and might have done something he regrets

>Talk to professor and show up every day to class (which is 5 times a week) as well as talk to him after school and show that I really like the subject
>He turns my 85% into an A

Iceland

>punish me daddy

You have two universities and both are shit. The private maybe one a bit less than the public one. Just go to Norway.

Not talking about university, high school. There are tons of them and 90% are brainlet tier schools, though some people want to stay in brainlet ones for the memories that they will have with their friends, unfortunately for me I have few.
You start high school 15/16 years old btw, and yes I am underage.

In Denmark the final grades one gets are also included on your papers and they count, when calculating your total average, which is what unis use to sort out those who are not fit for whatever they're applying to.

The vast majority of US schools (and every single good one) value grades over standardized testing

>having letter grades in college
amerikeks i swear

>Other countries even trying to compete in university quality
Please

This
>Took physics E&M
>Attendance, worth 1%
>Homework & labs (got a 100 on this), worth 33%
>A on 1st exam, worth 11%
>C on 2nd exam, worth 11%
>F on 3rd exam, worth 11%
>A on final exam, worth 33%
>Passed class with an A
Granted i did talk to him everyday and i made an A for all the exams in his previous class for mechanics & heat.
You should really talk to your professor as much as possible so you can get the best grade possible.

>discrete math
>""""""professor"""""" gives fractional points. not half or quarter, but literally tenth of a point
>floor rounded

Semester finals

Study 4-10 hours

Get consistent D's

People study for "weeks" and fail

By all rights i should have failed and dropped out a long time ago...

>intermediate physics
>barely show up
>don't do homework
>don't do lab reports
>do well on tests
>he gives me a B when I deserve an F
Part of the reason is that he knew I was studying qm on my own. When I did come to class I took notes to make sure I knew where we were at in the course. I also brought griffiths, shankar, or sakurai for when he got bogged down in calculations or answering questions from the hw.

>yes I am underage

Kek

My Diff Eq professor spoke with an extremely strong accent and was nearly impossible to understand, and he used a student assistant to grade all of the homework he gave. Because the language barrier was so bad, almost our entire class including myself got together every week with the professor in the tutoring center to make sure we all did it right, but when I got mine back it was always a lower grade than the others. The guy grading them kept writing "show your work" despite having shown the same work as all my classmates. Turns out it was because I had smaller (but still entirely legible) handwriting, and since I could fit the problems on a smaller portion of the page the guy thought I was doing less work even though I clearly did all the steps required. It took almost half the semester and several times bringing it to my professor to prove I was showing the same amount of work as everyone else before the guy grading homework finally started giving me full credit.

i hate retarded tutors

>Didn't show up for my final because I'm a fucking idiot
>I did well in the other tests so I pass the course with a C
>Fuck it. I'm doing the extraordinary test to improve my grade
>Go to the professor's office to tell him to fail me so I can do the test
>"Are you crazy? You want an A? Here. Now move on."

Teacher reduced everyone else's grade because he felt I was the only one who deserved an A. Everyone agreed it was fair though.

I once had a teacher who literally calculated the mean of the scores, the standard deviation and put any score on or around the mean as a C 1 std away was a b and 2 std away was an a. Below 1 std of mean was a D and so forth..

gtfo

>first exam: 47/100
>second: 69/100
>third: 89/100
>final:???/100
>final grade: A
The professor said that he doesn't grade on a curve or assign extra credit, so I can only guess that he dropped one of my low scores for the score from my final exam, which i guess was bretty good

>professor for class with weekly labs, doesnt accept lab reports until end of the year
>reports are turned in on the last day in a large binder
>people who had prof before say he never reads them, just checks the name on the cover page and gives you credit
>legend has it a student turned in a binder full of blank pages behind the cover page and got full credit
>another student allegedly handed in a ridiculously long essay on sailing ships and got full credit
>my binder was a lot of copy/pasted stuff from the lab descriptions and a few pictures and tables added in and i got an A in the class
>initially considered just printing the first lab report 12 times and handing that in but never went through with it

>entire class did so poorly on the first test in Calc 2 that the professor gave a bonus quiz worth up to an extra 25% on the test

>took discrete math online
>professor posted notes
>every one is a 200 slide long powerpoint that is just a copy of the textbook plus class discussion prompts
>homework was done on one of those incredibly shitty services that costs an additional $100
>exams were returned with 0 markings or feedback; only the grade was written
>come finals, the professor finally posts the keys to exams (which only covered multiple choice questions)
>example exams are posted as well, but the only problems worked are ones that ask for textbook definitions and not any that require any work to do
I always expect online classes to be worse than attending a lecture considering most professors aren't accustomed to it, but it was obvious that this professor didn't do any work at all after writing everything up the first semester they were hired.

a wierd ass thing (that I actually like) one professor did was give bonus questions in all tests, not just 1 or 2, but lots. usually the total would be 110%. effectively turning a 91% into a 100% on the test. One guy got a final mark of 102% for that class. That was my hardest class till that point so I appreciated the boost in my marks.

How common are extra tests at other unis?

Here the basic layout of grades is 3 tests + 1 project, each counting 25% of your participation grade, then your final grade is 50% exam and 50% participation grade.

Usualy we get a 4th test and only the best 3 count towards your grade, so if you did well on the first 3 you can just skip it.

My real analysis exam consisted of 50% of the final grade. Since I proved the Cauchy convergence criterion, when I was only asked to provide examples and explain it, the prof just gave me enough extra credit to justify giving me an A (100%). It was quite nice seeing him write 60% in the exam protocol, when 50% was the maximum. Other profs would've just disregarded my proof and wouldn't give me jack shit.

>Material science
>Final grade is 0.9*exam + 0.05*test + 0.05*project

I didnt show up for a single class other than the first one where he told us this and got 91% from a shitty project and cramming for 2 days before the exam.

University is a fucking joke.

what,
is your class full of auststic betas ?!

I once got a 100 in a class because of a 3% attendance bonus

Also in real analysis I noticed myself getting away with less detail than other students multiple times because the prof liked me and would assume I knew what I was talking about when I left a step out.

I'm not from America, no such grade-inflation bullshit here.

This. Oh somehow been able to skate through chemical engineering with almost no studying.

The shit mountain is beginning to crumble however.

how does this shit "curve grading" work ? not american, so I have no idea what's this

>americans really believe this

yankee unis are trash

Basically, if everyone does bad on some test/assignment, the cuck professor will conclude that it was too tough of an assignment, and bump everyone's grades up by some amount to keep grades high enough

It's a way professor's adjust grades so that they don't have to balance the difficulty of the test...they can make them as hard as they want.

There's a grade inflation problem in the US, so unless you're getting solid A's, grad programs won't look at your application. This feeds a cycle that causes more grade inflation and lowering standards.

I prefer the French way where a 10 out of 20 was basically good, and everything above it was frosting. 20's being almost non-existent (at least in my short experience)

>I prefer the French way where a 10 out of 20 was basically good, and everything above it was frosting. 20's being almost non-existent (at least in my short experience)

A 10 has never been considered "good" though, only mediocre. It IS a passing grade however

t.french

I hope to god some of these new janitors are on Veeky Forums.

K.

>American universities

>Professor averages out your grades but gives you the grade he "thinks" you deserve
The professor's job is to evaluate your performance. Doing such is entirely appropriate.

>It's a way professor's adjust grades so that they don't have to balance the difficulty of the test...they can make them as hard as they want.
That's a good thing. It means they can design the tests such that they can discriminate between good and extremely good students with much finer detail.

If a professor designs a test such that a typical student with moderate mastery of the material would achieve about a 50% on the test, then it doesn't matter that it's a 50, it matters that they achieved a grade consistent with moderate mastery.

The idea that mastery of the material means you always achieve a perfect score is a fiction, and not a useful one.