Why does American whiskey taste like corn and sugar?

Why does American whiskey taste like corn and sugar?

Scotch and Irish whiskeys taste like whiskey. American stuff seems to be ashamed of being whiskey and makes it taste completely different.

Other urls found in this thread:

thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/28/your-craft-whiskey-is-probably-from-a-factory-distillery-in-indiana
thewhiskyexchange.com/p/31421/lagavulin-1999-distillers-edition-bot2015
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourbon_whiskey
thewhiskyexchange.com/p/14444/laphroaig-10-year-old-cask-strength-batch-003-bot2011
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>established 2013
>their oldest possible whiskey is 4 years old

It was just a random picture really. I mean American whiskey as a whole.

probably because you're drinking bourbon which is literally supposed to be corn and sugar

Why not make real whisky?

Because it's what people are used to really. In the end you're drinking poison that tastes horrible without training yourself to get past the horribleness and get to the interesting parts. Might as well keep making what people are used to.

>Scotch

Mmm, swamp and smoke, delicious!

But I like bourbon AND scotch, different things have different merits, truly unbelievable...

What the fuck is "real whiskey"
Bourbon is made of primarily corn. Rye is made of primarily Rye. And there are wheated whiskey, barley whiskey, rice whiskey, and probably more I dont know about.

All of them are made for a reason, because people love the taste. So dont be an asshole and imagine that somehow using malted barley like in Single malt Scotch is the only way to do it right.

Also have fun with your scotch and its added caramel coloring and reused bourbon cask finishes.

What kind of bourbon did you try? Generally speaking, I am inclined to agree. The literal definition of bourbon is a mash bill of 50%> corn so they are all going to have that element of sweetness to them but some are way higher corn than others. Eagle rare for example is very high corn whereas willett pot still reserve is not. For this reason, I'm not a big bourbon guy myself although I do like some. I absolutely love rye and am impartial to scotch. I really want to try some wheated and oat whiskeys

If that's all you taste then you have a shit palate

Because then it would be whisky, not whiskey or bourbon you mong.

If you want to try wheated whiskeys try finding some Weller antique or special reserve, If not old Bernhiem is the most easily accessible.

Masterclass of course for wheated is Pappy and old Rip Van Winkle.
Or William Larue Weller.
But these will cost up to and over a hundred dollars a shot.

>American stuff seems to be ashamed of being whiskey and makes it taste completely different.

>I drank Jack Daniels today! Why is all American whiskey bad?!
>I ate McDonalds today! Why are all American restaurants disgusting?

You'll look for anything American to complain about, won't you?

Remember to Make Veeky Forums Great Again by hiding OBSESSED threads. Yuroshitters already fucked up their countries; don't let them fuck up our boards. Thank you and God bless America.

if it's shitty quality then we have a right to. don't be mad because european + uk = patrician

My Aunt just bought me a distiller's edition of a 1999 Lagavulin. You'll never taste anything like it.

>their oldest possible whiskey is 4 years old

Not technically true, especially if they're not distilling it themselves like a good number of whiskey companies.

thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/28/your-craft-whiskey-is-probably-from-a-factory-distillery-in-indiana

>a bunch of half drank bottles of booze slowly being killed by oxygen

yum yum

Except I have had it, and about 8 other Lagavulin distillers editions, and the 8 year 12 year 16 year, and 25 year.

its pretty good but I honestly think 12 and 25 are better than any of the distillers editions.
Also heres a link to the 1999 in case anyone wants to buy it

thewhiskyexchange.com/p/31421/lagavulin-1999-distillers-edition-bot2015

I assume you dont ever drink whiskey at bars?
Also inert gas, also moving them into smaller bottles, Also just finishing them after a certain point.

I bet I know a lot more about liquor oxidation than you

I'm not surprised Americans don't like scotch, with their terrible need for everything being sweet.

I fucking love Lagavulin 16, probably my favourite.

There are bourbons, which is what I assume you're referring to as "American whiskey", that aren't at all sweet.

Hell, even the bottom shelf King, Old Grand-dad is not as sweet as Glen Livet's 12 year old bottle.

There are plenty of bourbons that are very sweet, and they're disgusting in my book. I once was given a bottle of bourbon that, I shit you not, tasted like sweet tea and everclear.

Rye whiskey is very spicy, usually dry and full of delicious, complex flavors. As I mentioned before, there are many whiskies that are much sweeter than, say, Knob Creek rye.

The issue with bourbon tasting like corn is that bourbon is basically corn liquor. While it does influence the sweetness and overall taste, if your bourbon has an overwhelming taste of corn, you fucked up and bought shit liquor.

Irish whiskey tastes like fucking water and is the worst.

This is pathetic

>drink corn and sugar
>complain about it tasting like corn and sugar

Wowowowowow.

Whiskey shouldn't be made with corn

Corn is a prominent crop in the US. It wasn't even introduced to Europe until about 1500. Why is it so shocking that people would use resources available in attempt to recreate a product they are used to?

O B S E S S E D

Yuropoors can't help their obsession

scotch is just as sweet as american whiskey especially as its legal to add caramel coloring, which is illegal in bourbon.

He should just pick up some Maker's 46. Pretty decent bourbon for the price and a good representative of American style bourbon whisky.

Because many American whiskeys are made from corn, whereas Scotch is made from malted barley. It looks like Irish whiskey is also made from malted barley, but I don't know what they do to make it different from Scotch.

Bourbon, for example, is required by federal regulations to be made from a grain mixture consisting of a minimum of 51% corn in order to be labeled as "bourbon" in the United States.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourbon_whiskey

Some people like it. I guess it depends on what they were taught to like. Some people juggle geese! Go figure.

You poor bastard, having to drink that swill.

Laphroaig master race here. I once again want to thank Veeky Forums for letting me know that the supply of this masterpiece:

thewhiskyexchange.com/p/14444/laphroaig-10-year-old-cask-strength-batch-003-bot2011

was running out. I got the last two bottles available here, and still have one waiting for a special occasion.