Realistically...

Realistically, why should I be majoring in STEM right now if there are kids in high school who know Calculus III in only their junior year?

I found I really am interested in math, but being 19 and only knowing up to Calculus I is just going to make me lesser than all the others. Same for any STEM profession.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Green_(mathematician)
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugène_Ehrhart
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Know Cal III by junior year
Who cares? Once you get to college you can control how much math you take per semester, if you want take all math classes, you'll quickly surpass all those kids in both knowledge in skills.

I have a relevant anecdote for you OP
>Be a brainlet, taking pre-calc freshman year of college
>Professor was an absolute genius and really cared for his students (gave individual feedback on every problem on homework sets, passed out handwritten notes for every lecture, etc.)
>Joke with my pre-calc professor that I was disappointed I'm struggling with pre-calc at 18 when Newton was discovering law of universal gravitation at roughly the same age
>He was studying at MIT as a physics and math dual major
>Barely keeping up with his real analysis class, the professor wrote the book so he just cruised through material
>Student in front of him kept correcting the professor
>That student was thirteen years old
He looked me in the eye and told me "moral of the story is there's always someone out there better than you, so don't worry about it too much" before assigning me some extra log rule problems
>End up passing with an A
>Sign up to have him for calc next year
>Ends up contracting cancer and dying
I miss him ;_;

>cohomology is genius tier

epic nice get fucked brainlets

>and that student's name? Albert Einstein

Just admit you have an inferiority complex and deal with it like the rest of us. You can do anything you bloody well want to as long as you don't stop yourself.

what kind of brainlet is still on calc 3 as a junior in high school?

At this stage of the game, you probably aren't gonna be the next Newton or von neumann, but that's ok. I went to a small school that didn't offer anything higher than pre-calc. I majored in engineering, did fine, got a good paying job and I enjoy what I do everday.

Did I accomplish everything that hypothetical me with genius supermodel parents that taught me calculus in the 8th grade could have have? Probably not, but at least I wasn't born to some crackwhore in Detroit or something. Just be thankful you have the opportunity to GO to college, take all the math classes your school offers.

I'm in the exact same boat and it makes me depressed tbqh

>P=NP on same level as Riemann hypothesis
P=NP requires language that describes mathematical context mathematically. That meta-math is the leap that'll get us there, but it's likely to be quite the leap compared to the Riemann hypothesis, which stays within the confines of mathematical context.

Realistically, because learning calculus a few years in advance isn't as much of an advantage as you are perceiving it to be.

Nigga I am 26 and haven't even taken pre-calc yet (though I have learned a bit on my own). I'm still going to learn all the maths and be super famous some day and if some faggot 13 yo is being a lil bitch I'm gonna punch him in the face and move along because idgaf. I was a smart kid too but I'm even smarter now so fuck it, plus I'll teach my son everything and he'll finish whatever I started.

God I'm really getting sick of posts like these.

If you're going to be such a little bitch just go jump off a cliff already. Do Americans actually go out of their way to brainwash their children into being insecure man children or is it just Veeky Forums?

That was a very nice story, user

I don't know why I'm even majoring in Math OP.

This board makes me feel like trash, I think I'm deluding myself into depression

Someone who doesn't care about math. I've never done anything past Algebra 2.

>Do Americans actually go out of their way to brainwash their children into being insecure man children or is it just Veeky Forums?
They definitely go out of their way. Once in the second grade I was expressing my sexuality and I claimed it would be 'cool to see a naked girl'. Well, well, well, my parents were called and I was shamed. I almost didn't get to go on the big field trip.

I have a boyfriend now so idk... That definitely didn't help.

>I have a boyfriend now
Nigga wat

>Americans actually go out of their way to brainwash their children
This is more relevant:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkpUbSejcjY

My nieces do this routine every morning at elementary school. It's considered a normal thing down in the States. As for insecure manchildren, that's also Veeky Forums culture no matter where you're from.

that's fucking creepy

Trust me, there will be plenty of jobs for all of you. And never compare yourself to others academically unless you are literally in competition with them for something.

>Why should I do anything when others are doing better than me?

Change your attitude. You're only 19 years old. You have plenty of time to learn and master any subject you want.

>the pledge is weird now

Literally kill yourself if you're American and find this strange. It probably seems a little odd to heathen countries but whatever

>doing the pledge brainwashing
wut

>Newton allegedly died a virgin
>Beethoven was an unsociable, dirty manchild
>Howard Hughes was a recluse with OCD
>The Wright brothers owned a bike shop and possed little formal education
>Kafka and Whitman both worked as wage-slaves for the majority of their adult life

Genius is a finicky, often abstract thing. It isn't the sole determinant of success or happiness. It often comes with great cost. It may not even be evident until 100 years after the fact. Often times, prodigies in youth do not dominate their chosen field.

Focus on what it would take for you to pay your bills, pursue your passions,
and live a well-rounded life. I can guarantee that you're capable of just that.

hedonistic normie

Don't listen to this guy OP. Truth is, you're too stupid for math or science in general. Someone out there is better fit for math. If your mother didn't nurture you that's not your fault, but it's too late. If you began studies at the age of 13, you'd maybe have a chance, but not anymore. There are kids right now who have more knowledge in math AND physics than you will ever have in your lifetime.

Go weld or something

Absolutely nobody cares and within a few years the "unbalanced playing field" will level itself out. It's sadly hilarious to watch IB students walk in with some air of superiority and then end up at the bottom of their classes.

I'm 21 and barely remember basic Algebra.
You're fine

Why's Veeky Forums so kind to beginners but ass holes towards the experienced?

I had a professor who did the same thing. Would be easy and informative on the lower kids but harsh and border-line torementing to the brighter bunch. First thing he told our class was "I'm willing to bet none of you will make a contribution in math. Know that."

Is it some kind of reverse psychology effect?

Taunting. The intended reaction is something like "Oh yeah? I'll show you, you mongoloid!"

I had a few of these. One in math and one in English. Both very smart people, huge role models, but their words did catch me off guard.
English Teacher:
>If you don't think literature is important or you think this is a pointless class, please do yourself a fsvor and drop out of college. I will not stand for ignorance to art and humanity, nor will I stand for the failure to acknowledge STEM as a meaningful part of your lives. Whether you're a math major or an English major, you will probably never end up anywhere worth of note. Realize this.

Math Professor:
>If you were the "big fish" so to speak in high school math classes, welcome to the sea of sharks. Everyone around you here is likely better than you in some way, just so you know. I had a 13 year old probably better than all of you combined. If you're here thinking you're hot stuff, wake up.

First test grade average was a 32%. I think it works for some

Hey, anyone who isn't actively hurting other people and has scientific curiosity is good in my book

I'd say so. i remember that Einstein had professes that hated his guts and always told him that he will never accomplish anything great

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Green_(mathematician)

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugène_Ehrhart

these people started studying math at such big age yet helped alot in development of science and math.

I get that it would be brainwashing if the kids were born into a cult or a corrupt political circle and were similarly pledging allegiance to that organization. However, when it's the belief of a working society at large, it's no longer brainwashing; it's socialization. It's similar to how a cult is no longer a cult once it's widely accepted and functional, much like the rise of Christianity that was once just a cult under a man named Jesus who called himself God, not that different from many modern-day cults. Now that people know what it is and that it's not terribly dysfunctional, its teachings are widely accepted as not brainwashing, but guidance.

If it's agreeable, it's not brainwashing even if it uses the same methods as actual brainwashing. American foundations are agreeable, ergo it's not brainwashing, just socialization.

His parents turned him gay.
Serves them right