What's a good mathematical physics book for undergrad?

What's a good mathematical physics book for undergrad?

>inb4 just take the math classes, brainlet

I intend to study the individual math subjects on my own. Right now I don't have time for that shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

Veeky
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

mathematical physics is just physics

Boas is a good start, most people like arfken and webber at the higher level

How much math have you already taken? There are some books that start from the ground up, others assume that you've already seen the physics side and just need the tools.
Also mathematical physics for what exactly? String theory, qft, condensed matter, acoustics, gr, seismic, or just something very general? How far do you want to go, i.e. learning techniques for solving pdes or learning gauge theory?

I've taken up to linear algebra, calc 3, and differential equations. I'm basically looking for the type of book an undergraduate mathematical physics course would use.

I'll check these out. I always thought Boas was a meme because
>women

Do you mean like a Mathematical Methods book? Mathematical Physics is not the same thing.

Yeah, my bad. I thought the difference was semantic.

>mathematical physics book for undergrad

They're not worth your time. Just read a complex variables book or a tensor/differential geometry book.

>I don't have time for that shit

You don't need math methods knowledge for your other undergrad courses and they won't be enough for grad work. You're wasting time weaning yourself in.

Use Arfken for exercises.
Learn the subject from Butkov or Courant & Hilbert or Riley, Hobson, Bence or whatever you can find in terms of lectures like S. Mauch.
There's no ideal source, so if your prof is not a brainlet he should've written notes for your class.

Either

>Michael Greenberg's Advanced Engineering Mathematics

Or

>Peter Szerkeres' A Course in Modern Mathematical Physics

I recommend the latter if you are not a brainlet, and the former if you aren't dumb enough to fall for the boas/arfken memes, or your an engineer pretending that you'll actually be able to do math physics.

Seriously, do basic research like reading the tables of contents or browsing through the "read me" previews on google/amazon.

Half of these easy ass textbook threads could be solved by just spending an evening googling book reviews, because ~90% of the recommendations are just names coughed up by undergrads who used them or heard they were good, or worse yet, memes. At least go to the Veeky Forums wikia...

But by all means, fall for the arfken meme, but that book is shit, and more like a reference text then something that's pleasurable to learn from. Boas isn't much better. Engineering math methods books usually suck, but Greenberg's really is a cut above in the included content, with only a small amount missing from difference equations, but still covering it.

Lads who may feel dismay, I'm almost done creating my image guides for undergrad book flowcharts, hang in there.

Electricity and Magnetism:
Introduction to Electrodynamics (4th Edition) by David J. Griffiths

Quantum Mechanics:
Introduction to Quantum Mechanics (2nd Edition) by David J. Griffiths
A Modern Approach to Quantum Mechanics 2nd Edition John S. Townsend

Both relatively irrelevant to what OP asked for

Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Physics_Textbook_Recommendations#Mathematics_Resources

Depends on which area you want to look into. Do Landau-Lifshitz first before doing anything else.

>constructive quantum field theory: Baez
>geometric quantization: Woodhouse
>TQFT: Turaev
>quantum braid groups: Nayak
>quantum knots/loop algebras: Witten

Hassani has a good one. Also Szekeres is pretty good.

These books are useless. They barely teach anything at all. For most of the physics you'll do you won't need this stuff and even then you can just look it up. For later theory you'll need math far beyond what these books teach like differential geometry or algebraic topology. You need to learn the math from actual math books.

wew lad

- here is your recipe
learn a bit of differential geometry using something like vector analysis by janich
read any book on lagrangian / hamiltonian mechanics, read / prove by yourself main theorems and do exercises (or start with exercises, usual pendulums examples are good enough to motivate the theory)
use same methods in other fields
end.

>all passion is autism
Fuck you I like books and helping people learn

Arnold - Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics
Spivak - Mechanics
Scheck

No. You're clearly an egocentric normalfag in desperate need of validation.

Boas is a little poor in my opinion, but it's compact (and relatively cheap as I recall). I didn't find it particularly helpful except for practice problems.

Riley, Hobson and Bence is a wonderful book for an undergrad that will cover your needs. I have no experience with Arfken, but know that it is highly rated.

>implying it matters whether I'm a normal fag or not, and that this entire board isn't for validation

My recommendations are solid and at least better than average, but feel free to post your own.