What programming languages does Veeky Forums regularly use?

What programming languages does Veeky Forums regularly use?
strawpoll.me/13100932

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/13100932
css-tricks.com/tales-of-a-non-unicorn-a-story-about-the-trouble-with-job-titles-and-descriptions/
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_vIhjXh1UTpfw8atiA31uP3F4Sjix_ZQ
Veeky
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

R and I hate it

Will python ever just like fuck off?

""""""""no""""""""

Methlab

Turbo Pascal.

>2017
>not writing all of your numerical algorithms research code in node.js
fuck the police

>No Java
What is this shit?

Would you just like die already.

Lisp

assembly

>The fedora marxist is a cs major too

You can't make this shit up

MATLAB O. O

>C is now a meme language
Well shit

Graduated last month. Been trying to learn R because I no longer have access to free Matlab. It's making me want to kill myself. How big of a meme is GNU/Octave? ScyPy? Anything else to consider?

>still coding in C89

We C++17 now.

Excel with no VBA

Just pirate Matlab.

If you can't pirate matlab, octave is a legit alternative, although you'll have the feeling to be coding for a third world country

>can't use the most powerful language in the entre universe
brainlets, in 4 lines of R i can do somenthing that would require 100 lines of java

C/C++ is the only way.

Haskell or Lisp for fun.

>C
>meme language that nobody uses
Top yourself op

Matlab for casual coding

Phyton for heavy lifting

Fortran because of legacy codes in my work, and nothing beats a lean well written Fortran codes in term of how fast they are

english,. mostly i program everyone around to shut the fuck up

Matlab.

If I ever have to do some serious computation without fucking around I'll learn C++ and rewrite the code in that.

binary. just binary. therefore i know all.

>binary
That is not a programming language...

I use octave a lot. It's good.

No need to do even that. New Matlab can convert your code to c++

when you just have to implement things that doesn't belongs to C++ programming paradigm since other languages have;
also, C++ is bullshit, just C or gtfo

C and Assembly.
Fuck C++ objects were a mistake.

Why are C babbies so angry?
Are they lashing out because they're too brainlet to understand how to effectively use zero-cost abstractions?

Personally, i'm lashing out because C is still the only language that allows me to write formally verified code. Also because the ABI doesn't change every fucking month.
But i write my scripts in OcaML.

As an engineer, you're not going to need any programming language other than MATLAB.

Not everything engineers do involves heavy number crunching!
As an engineer you also need VB (to work with data that's already in Excel format) and Javascript.

But oh, how I wish there were a language with the array manipulation capabilities of MATLAB, the ubiquity, versatility and the variable system of Javascript, and the user friendliness of Hypercard!

>java

>Why are C babbies so angry?

Because they think you HAVE to code in C++ like you code in Java.

css & html :^)

>codes

Pajeet detected.

>strawpoll.me/13100932
I use C and Octave. Only open source compilers.

It isn't because I'm against closed source etc, I'm just a cheap bitch who refuses to pay for anything.

I use Verilog a fuckton as an EE

Hijackin for unrelated questions. Anyone in IT know how hard the comptia A+ exams are? I've read Upgrading and Repairing PCs front to back and worked on every operating system except the many infinite linuxes, just the big ones really.
I wanna get my certs soon and this looks like a good start

Octave is extremely easy and I do all my research in it. (Numerical Analysis, ODEs).
It is exactly like MATLAB, except with no add ons. So if you are considering buying vanilla MATLAB, might as well just use Octave.

As a mathematician, I don't have any particular use for object orientation. If I need something computed, it will probably be simpler to just stick in C.

The is that way

fuck off to they have their own questions thread. don't fuck up our board

>Java
Why just why

Serious question to everyone who uses MATLAB: Why do you use it?

I use it, but am interested in other people's responses.

It's not that bad: platform independent coding (where there are JVMs), good performance (a bit worse than ideal C or C++ code), and a massive, massive standard library, and a massive, massive amount of free third party libraries.

I also do C++ at work.

Everything about his post is pajeet

Quick matrix calculator.

>platform independent coding (where there are JVMs),

Complete lies. Java is one of the most unportable languages around. Code written for one JVM often doesn't work for another and there's fuck all you can do about it.

>no C

1989 called, they want their language back.

I typically use C or C++ for scientific computation. I've used Matlab for couple of hand-ins in university but for anything more serious I'd go with C++.

It works well enough for our company on windows, linux, AIX, HP-UX, mainframes, and more. We run on basically every server box known to man.

>le LDI man

God tier signal processing tool box

Fucking savage

Biofag here. Pretty much just python and bash.

>Scanner s = new Scanner(System.in);
>int i;
>loop1: do{
>try{
>i = Integer.parseInt(s.next());
>break loop1;
>}
>catch(NumberFormatException){
>
>}
>}while(true);

Genetics: Python and R.

I do all my heavy lifting in java script

MATLAB, R, and C++

>C++ almost in 1st
What the fuck are you niggers doing, that's a hobbyist language, I don't believe any of you have actual Veeky Forums jobs.

Javascript should always be written as a single word, to avoid confusion with Java which is a totally different language.

The really surprising thing about this thread is that we're the only two who've even mentioned Javascript so far.

0/10

Because the average coder in js is like this:
css-tricks.com/tales-of-a-non-unicorn-a-story-about-the-trouble-with-job-titles-and-descriptions/

One of our mandatory programming courses was in Matlab. Turns out it's flexible and easy to use and I mostly do some simple number crunching anyway. Python is probably pretty similar but I simply never learned it. C/C++ just serves another purpose really.

Possibly the ugliest code in the world, worse than COBOL.

>I program in a meme language
>list full of meme languages

I program in Lua VM bytecode.

Get on my level.

Why don't we have standardized 1:1 programming?

Assigning each one of these letters to a physical button and having them appear on screen after a single press is definitely the best way to put words on screen. Function and goal should supersede formalism and aesthetic. All websites are permutations of a handful of basic elements that can come into being by the pressing of buttons they are assigned to. The plethora of variation would be instantly thrown in the trash if such a standard would be adopted and such a device would be built, just like all aspects of manual writing were thrown away once 1:1 writing machines appeared.

>Assigning each one of these letters to a physical button and having them appear on screen after a single press is definitely the best way to put words on screen.

whateverfuck do you even mean?

Fuck matlab

R is truly an abomination

Heh, yeah. One time i wrote Java code at home, and then tried to run it on a computer at college. it didn't work until i re-compiled it on the computer . ebin

>no c

>This post is near and dear to me and all to similar to many “interviews” I’ve been on. The whole fixbuzz thing is a huge joke. I have never used the or heard of PHP’s modulous operator before or since I failed the fizzbuzz test.
>I’m also learning that if you have mastered all the skills listed in the description then why would you be interested in their company? You’d be at Google or something.
Ben Racicot

>As to why a hiring manager is asking about fizz/buzz. ??????? No clue. When I was a hiring manager, I asked applicants solve a few common problems, but always something directly related to the work they would be expected to do.
>I mean – I would be suspicious of someone who could solve fizzbuzz off the cuff. They are likely to:
>1. have too much time on their hands
>2. had too many interviews asking that question
>3. be unsufferably arrogant
>4. or all of the above.
RioBrewster

Can't make this shit up

Like, was that back in the Java 1.0 days or some shit? Were you using some obscure JVMs instead of the platform standard, i.e. on Windows and Linux the Sun / Oracle JVM? I don't believe you.

matlab

I use Python (and Mathematica, if that counts) and have to use MatLab and C++ for my Job.

I'm interested in dependent types. I try to establish a reading club on the google group for Idris in July and am willing to put in some organizational work. Anyone tell me if they're interested here?
Pic related:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_vIhjXh1UTpfw8atiA31uP3F4Sjix_ZQ

>no C
what a retard

>no AutoIt

How do I learn programming, specifically MatLab?

>no perl
very gay

Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Programming_Textbook_Recommendations#Matlab

>Phyton
honestly, that name would make Python twice as cool

Too bad you weren't around when APL was popular. Single symbol keywords, with custom keycaps for programmers.

You can try J instead (same idea, but uses one or two ASCII symbols for keywords).

thanks for including Forth, it is my tinkering language of choice

but
>no C
I said C++ instead even though it is not allowed in our lab.
Also, the cool kids are switching to Rust.

I cut my teeth on TP, decades ago. All that code that will never run again...

>I said C++ instead even though it is not allowed in our lab.

Why is your lab so autistic?

>Also, the cool kids are switching to Rust.

Only SJWs code in rust.

you don't understand vectorial programmation

R was developed for statisticians , if you aren't one there's no point in using it

No one actually code in Rust, they just talk about how good Rust supposedly is.

>language X can do something in n

I use rust but only in my own time, not for actual work

>VB to work with data that's already in Excel format
I do that with python

C, LabVIEW.
I find C good for data handling.
I find LabVIEW good for GUI and small data handling.

I was reading through that and got to the fizzbuzz problem and before I was done reading the question I knew the answer was modulus math. How hard can this be? That's CS 101-tier shit. As I read on I remembered this gem from earlier:
>Except for JavaScript "engineering" and anything related to algorithms, my technical skills are sharp.
In other words she has to technical skills.

C/C++ when doing anything algorithm heavy, I can't waste my time and energy googling how to compare int to double in java.

What's your job where you use C++?