Funny books

What is the funniest book you've ever read? Has literature ever produced anything that can compete with other mediums like television and film in terms of laughs?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Exploding-Detective-John-Swartzwelder/dp/0975579967
youtube.com/watch?v=qlTjk02bj0k&index=13&list=PL80FCE34666BBDD8C
youtube.com/watch?v=-H5Jkt2M2JI&list=PL80FCE34666BBDD8C&index=14
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

My diary my good man

Hitchhiker's Guide made me laugh out loud a lot when I first read it, but I was quite young at the time, probably like 13.

desu

When I was 16, I used to read "I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell" by myself at my mall's Barnes and Nobles.

I literally laughed so hard they had to kick me out; and this was far more than once or twice. I mean, like, I'd go inside, receive a wary look from one of the attendants that seemed to say "You better not pick up that fucking book again", and then I'd just sit in the corner and laugh my heart out until they had to ask me to leave.

They never did banish me from the store, for whatever reason I don't know, but sometimes I think back to those days and smile. I was such a happy kid.

Well since you mention simpsons

amazon.com/Exploding-Detective-John-Swartzwelder/dp/0975579967

Reads like a simpsons episode.

I've been meaning to give these a look. Dose Swartzwelder's genius translate to straight text?

Technically not a book but i don't think comedy gets much more Veeky Forums-tier than Chris Morris and Robert Katz's Monologues from Blue Jam.

youtube.com/watch?v=qlTjk02bj0k&index=13&list=PL80FCE34666BBDD8C

youtube.com/watch?v=-H5Jkt2M2JI&list=PL80FCE34666BBDD8C&index=14

yes. you'll be laughing the first 2 pages

Catch-22
Ulysses
Gravity's Rainbow, TCoL49
Don Quixote
Infinite Jest
Shakespeare

Tristram shandy

Oh, and yeah, no. I've never laughed at a book like I've laughed at a movie, a show, stand-up, or at something with friends. The most a book can get from me is a chuckle, and maybe I'll reread the joke and appreciate it with a curious smile.

J R is the funniest book I've ever read. 700 pages a laugh on every single one. Did I mention the memes? HOLYYYYYYYY ARE THEY EVER HOPPING WITH FLAVOR MAZOLA NEW AND IMPROVED THE FAUCET DOESN'T TURN OFF SHOE PRINTS UP ALONG THE WALL HOLY POOP IN THE PIANO BAST WITH 1 SHOE WELL AHM AS I WAS WELL AHM AS YOU CAN WELL AHM AS A MATTER OF FACT HOLY

sorrentino's mulligan stew is really funny if you can stomach unabashed metafiction

S. J. Perelman stuff.

I like Nabokov's humor a lot, the taxi puns in Lolita killed me for some reason
Gogol's Overcoat was also really funny in a kind of tragic way
Plus the Infinite Meme had me laughing fairly often

A Confederacy of Dunces and Catch-22 are two novels that had me belly-laughing multiple times.

I also found Douglas Adams very funny when I was younger, but now, honestly, re-reading his stuff barely even puts a smile on my face and sometimes even makes me cringe.

Will never forget "...as I bayed through the undergrowth of dark decaying forests".

This user is SUPER cute.

Thank you, kind user ;_;

Maki is SUPER cute.

I've read A confederace, it was okay. Not a belly laugh though.

The tunnel made me laugh hysterically on certain parts

Candide.

gulliver's travels was a trip. Swift was a bitter SOB

>You better not pick up that fucking book again
kek

certain parts of the quixote made me laugh so hard, but you have also to know the chivalry tradition to get it

Lucky Jim is far and away the funniest book I've ever read.

The Trial--rather unexpectedly I might add--has some very funny parts.

I am a Cat made me laff

I read Hypersphere out loud to my friends and I couldn't breath by the end of the 3rd footnote

pic rel is pretty funny

A Prayer for Owen Meany was pretty funny

matt groening owes a huge debt to a confederacy of dunces

>implying life in hell isnt goat tier

MDE Present's How to BOMB the U.S. Gov't

By Sam Hyde, Nick Rochefort, Charls "Coors" Carroll, et al.

:^)

Pic related.

He sad funny, not angry, virginal and sweaty :^)

It really doesn't hold up.

+1 Catch 22 that shit has gold tier comedy in it

I feel like the same joke is reused a lot though of 'x cat happen' 'x happens'

Only thing that gets me laughing in books is random bits of spaghetti like this shit from Great Gatsby.

I liked Catch-22 a lot but it never got me to LOL (Acronym for 'Laught Out Loud'). Whereas dumb stuff like this catches me by suprise.

tee bee haytch

>getting baited

Is mentioning Pratchett taboo on this board or something?

three men in a boat

No?

How come there are literally no threads ever?

Because its a pretty niche series.

Ur down 2 duck?

'jeeves takes charge' a random compilation of Jeeves stories which include all the best.

Except some stupid story about priests and Wooster betting on the length of their sermons. That story sucked.

The Wodehouse novels aren't as funny as his short stories IMO.

My Twisted World is, unironically, one of the greatest works of comedy ever produced

This is easily the funniest book I've ever read, I was really sad when I finished it because it felt like I was leaving my buddies behind. My gf told me there's a sequel and I keep forgetting to pick it up.

Anything by the Pynchon, tbqh.

His books are like one of those novelty snake cans, you open the book & POP you get a face fulla snakes and you fall back cackling. The mad mind, the crack genius, to do it! and then you think hmmm whats he gonna do next, this trickster, and you pick the book back up and BZZZZZZZZZZ you get a shock and Hahahahahah you've been pranked again by the old pynchmeister, that card. "Did that Pynch?" he says, laughing yukyukyukyuk. Watch him as he shoves a pair of plastic buck teeth right up into his mouth and displays em for you- left, right, center- "you like dese? Do i look handsome???" Pulls out a mirror. "Ah!" Hand to naughty mouth. And you're on your ass again laughing as he snaps his suspenders, exits stage right, and appears again hauling a huge golden gong.

The first third of Glamorama is hysterical.

Also, dirty plebes, he said "literature", not fucking garbage in book form like and .

Anything by Terry Pratchett

This tbqh. The supreme gent could have sold off his dairy has a modern day masterpiece of comedy if he hadn't gone through with the shooting.

“To be a true poet is to become God.
I tried to explain this to my friends on Heaven's Gate. 'Piss, shit,' I said. 'Asshole motherfucker, goddamn shit goddamn. Cunt. Pee-pee cunt. Goddamn!'
They shook their heads and smiled, and walked away. Great poets are rarely understood in their own day.”

From the book Hyperion

Discworld is pretty funny.

This. Lucky Jim is criminally underrated.

Any of Karl Pilkington's books.

I don't care if it's plebby, he's hilarious.

Yeah, but have you checked these dubs?

Holy shit when he described his lotto autism. I was honestly laughing out loud.

I still remember Rodger spilling his drink on others and then running away in triumph like it was an act of divine retribution, priceless

The sequel is not as funny overall but has a few good bits about the German nation, bicycles and wives.

Not going to lie, but "Cannery Row" had me laughing most of the way through. So did the Original Scroll of "On the Road."

I never get tired of this pasta.

Im 50 pages into catch 22 and Ive found it hilarious so far, funniest book ive ever read. not that I would have even tried to read books that were even supposed to be funny, apart from hitchiker galaxy fucking book of shit that wasnt funny at all, though.

I feel bad bumping this pasta but the ending is still one of the funniest things I've seen on here

This one. The personal essays had me exploding with laughter, almost uncontrollably. His attempts at short stories are terrible, though. You should skip those.

Interesting, I just started catch 22 as well and I am finding the humor in it cringe inducing

This.

Also, The Sot-Weed Factor by John Barth has plenty of moments that made me laugh right out loud, and Puckoon by Spike Milligan is stuffed with brilliant jokes and wordplay (although without much of a plot).

Celine

Naked Lunch is pretty funny and disgusting.

The Master and Margarita was pretty hilarious at points. So was Don Quixote.

quality pasta
props to whoever wrote it

candide
american psycho
catch-22

think those are the only books that have made me laugh out loud

>tThat moment you realize that the devil is actually Woland, Koviev and Behemoth and Bulgakov is memeing the Holy Trinity with an Unholy Trinity
Epic shitposting Bulgakov.

Reading American Psycho right now and it's kind of humorous but nothing has made me laugh out loud. Does it get funnier? I'm only a quarter through.

The Disaster Artist is absolutely hilarious if you've seen the Room.

>Don Quixote

im barely through it and ive already had a lot of laughs, this is a great book

there's a scene where he reads a poem to his girlfriend. i was crying laughing. only thing in the book i laughed at. so try your best to get through all the descriptions of designer clothes and wait for that.

Yeah I've started to skim through his descriptions of everybody's clothes. I don't even know what the brands are other than Polo and Versace

I laughed pretty hard at that chapter in Brothers Karamazov where Fyodor Karamazov says all that ridiculous stuff in the meeting with the elder Zossima. Didn't expect that book to be that funny.

I tended to laugh a lot whenever Dostoevsky would have a part with Polish people.

i'll throw in for Don Quixote and Shakespeare. Sometimes in Shakespeare there are these moments that fully illustrate the drama and the comedy of life and I live for those. The same can be said about Quixote

Diary of a Wimpy Kid
>It's not literature
Name a better tragic hero then Greg. I'll wait.

this is legitimately probably the most well written pasta in existence. the creator genuinely has a talent for writing. its better than most things written in critique threads

>The BEE fan is a pompous asshole.
Why am I not surprised?

I know you'll all shit on me for being a pleb but Norm Macdonald's book was genuinely funny and made me belly laugh several times.

The Apple Store

Is it true? A fellow Lucky Jimfag, on my board?

This one?

I went through Steely dan's discography recently and picked Naked Lunch up just so I could understand their name.

pynchon makes you laugh then feel kind of sad you laughed. Then after that you're kind of in this half humoured half morbid state

either the twelve chairs or the golden calf
the first page of the latter is my favourite start of any novel, serious or comic

would you still rec this for a laugh

I was 16 at the time, and literally everything made me laugh. I'm not actually sure if it'd make me laugh now that I'm almost 21, but something inside me really hopes it would, for humor is the only thing that keeps me going some days.

Maybe one day I'll pick up that book and I'll be 16 again, for just that moment.

Only time will tell.

We'll see, muchachos. We'll see.

Anything by Tom Sharpe, Wilt is a great place to start.

I'm currently reading the Third Policeman, by Flann O'Brien and it's quite funny so far in a very absurdist way. Bit it's not only funny it's many things at the same time.
Brilliant
This man deserves more appreciation here

THIS

the part with the flappers actually had me laughing as I read the book