Tfw you fell for the "Engineering is superior to CS" meme

>tfw you fell for the "Engineering is superior to CS" meme
>Did EE, have people tell me that there's jobs EVERYWHERE for it, and that a BS in EE can cuck CS BS holders out of jobs
>the opposite is true

Every EE field that doesn't involve software is in "consolidation," and the salaries of pretty much every job that isn't in semiconductors are far from where even entry-level CS incomes are. Basically now that every Pajeet seems to know Cadence Virtuoso and Verilog, every EE company is trying their best to outsource and H1-B their workforce.

And no, YOU CANNOT GET A SOFTWARE ENGINEER POSITION, AN IT JOB, OR EVEN A BASIC CODE MONKEY INTERNSHIP IF YOU'RE NOT STUDYING CS, EVEN WITH A STELLAR PORTFOLIO

I won't even get started on Mechanical and Chemical Engineering.

If some of you engie students only picked the major for "muh job security," I implore you to immediately switch to CS. I fucked up, badly.

Other urls found in this thread:

bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/chemical-engineers.htm
bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/mechanical-engineers.htm
bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/electrical-and-electronics-engineers.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>YOU CANNOT GET A SOFTWARE ENGINEER POSITION IF YOU'RE NOT STUDYING CS

Keep telling yourself that lie, cs major.

>I didn't get any internships: The Post

>YOU CANNOT GET A SOFTWARE ENGINEER POSITION, AN IT JOB, OR EVEN A BASIC CODE MONKEY INTERNSHIP IF YOU'RE NOT STUDYING CS, EVEN WITH A STELLAR PORTFOLIO
Yes, you can if you're not retarded. Third of entry level positions in big software houses are non-CS stemfags with 1 cs elective and 5 helloworlds on github.
>muh job security
Is excellent for all the subjects you listed, Also your inability to get a first job has nothing to do with job security. Should have been less braindead and gotten better grades and internships.

I got 3 paid internships.

>Visual Basic
I feel sorry for you, user...

I graduated with a 3.82, faggot and have internships under my fucking belt.

meanwhile, my friend with a 2.8 in CS already got a SETI position at Google at 92k starting, and he's graduating in two weeks.

>ChemEng
>excellent job security
bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/chemical-engineers.htm

FUCKING

LMAO

now compare that with MechEng
bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/mechanical-engineers.htm

FUCKING ABSOLUTELY KEKED. i seriously feel bad for chemical engineering students.

Should have gone for the patrician major: Computer Engineering. Best of both worlds.

Unironically this, or Civil for maximum job security. Anyone doing any form of engineering other than these two is wasting their time.

trip dubsman is right

>not being a glorified plumber/hvac guy

fuckin' ez money.

Did you apply to google?

Yeah, last year, along with a bunch of others.

They just went straight for the rejection email.

no phone screening, either. My CS friend who got hired didn't even do an internship, and his portfolio is pretty run-of-the-mill

out of curiosity, what is this friend's ethnicity? i promise i'm not just some /pol/ shill, but google is very very known for giving hiring preference to jews

>I have a perfect resume but can't get a job
Well either you're lying or a terminal autist. EE may be not as popular as CS (what is really), but it's hardly a struggling major. Pretty much every ever so slightly above average EE student from my uni got job offers before graduating.

Hispanic.

>implying illegals can get jobs in major companies

top kek

>OU CANNOT GET A SOFTWARE ENGINEER POSITION, AN IT JOB, OR EVEN A BASIC CODE MONKEY INTERNSHIP IF YOU'RE NOT STUDYING CS, EVEN WITH A STELLAR PORTFOLIO
>second year math undergrads with 2 months of tutorial in java routinely get SWE internships
really made me think there

If it helps, I went to UCSD, and my CS friend goes to UC Riverside.

I don't know how he's cucking me from a school like that.

also OP, EE is a very respected field, it's basically the number two next to CS for a nice starting salary and job opps. Are you sure you're not just fuckign something up?

this may be a stupid question, but don't the big software boyz in california basically only hire from Berkeley and caltech?

>>second year math undergrads with 2 months of tutorial in java routinely get SWE internships
lol no

no, he's right. for some reason, maths students are right in the running with pure cs students for cs jobs.

>inb4 cs is a subset of math

Yeah yeah I know but you literally just get the degree for the sake of people wanting you to have one, you'll never actually use 90% of what you learn at uni

lol yes. a couple of cs electives is more than enough for most internships

it definitely helps. you don't even have to go to Berkeley. they hire a lot from places like SJSU, as well, so the fact that so many of my old classmates from UCSD are having trouble as well, is mind-boggling.

i guess the location meme really is true

literally every EE in my circle of acquaintances got a job except the ones who didn't look

>YOU CANNOT GET A SOFTWARE ENGINEER POSITION
some guys even with 2.8, 2.9 gpa got 70k starting as software analyst (aka codemonkey)

you must have either done really shit, or you aren't willing to move

This. Lmao @ engineering students who think they can get those internships tho.

>do nuke eng
>compete for like 3 jobs across 50 states
JUST
U
S
T

What school? I had a 3.8 when I graduated from UCSD

did you really not know what you were getting into?

b-but muh rigor

>literally every EE student I know from my uni got poached by Intel/Infineon/Siemens/ABB before graduating
Something tells me you're a lying brainlet, OP.

Nope, fell for memes. Luckily my marks and electives ended up allowing me to go for CS postgrad though

you can always join the Navy

...and get paid like 1/10th of your worth. Also, the military paying for school and/or paying student loans for you is a complete fucking meme. They pay for like $4,000 a year or so max.

>...and get paid like 1/10th of your worth
well maybe you should've done something a bit more marketable HMMM

>They pay for like $4,000 a year or so max

This is just straight wrong. t. gi bill welfare leech

really? because a good lad of mine is in the marines and they're not paying his debts nor will they shell out more than 4k a year for him. futher he can only take classes within driving distance of his base (read: he can't take classes)

loan reimbursement =/= the post 9/11 GI Bill

completely different program. its why if you are going to do the military it is far better to do it before you get your degree.

>t. former gi bill welfare leech who is now a federal worker leech

>I saw the phrases "C" and "C++" so it's automatically a CS job

This is ambiguously an EE job, not work for software engineers you nigger

>Cuck Engineering

You are literally cucked by CS major in software and cucked by EE in hardware. Awful choice

Every EE major who isn't a brainlet can get any CS job.

Programming is literally doing logic gates.

Oh thank God this pic gives me hope I don't want to do physics the rest of my life.

I'm a CpE and I got a SE internship. My portfolio sucks, my projects suck, my code sucks and my grades are slightly below average.I feel like a fraud because i've been fluking my way through classes and now through this internship. I'm pretty sure my luck is going to run out soon.

>I won't even get started on Mechanical and Chemical Engineering.
>tfw too intelligent to work in ChemE after graduation

For how long will you be doing CS until the fad weirs out and you are left with the skillset of a 20yo?

EE is much more intelecually rewarding and challenging, with potentially unlimited ceiling. If you get gud you can build particle accelerators in your basement, creating antimatter and constructing the first alcubierre drive prototype.

Are you only applying locally or countrywide like you should be?

>computers are a fad

> a Bs in any STEM field will get you somewhere better than McDonald's

Only meme you fell for m8. Nobody in any industry ever will hire someone without a Master over someone who has one, and both will be beaten by people with Ph.D's. Go back to school and beg for more pieces of paper.

>YOU CANNOT GET A SOFTWARE ENGINEER POSITION, AN IT JOB, OR EVEN A BASIC CODE MONKEY INTERNSHIP IF YOU'RE NOT STUDYING CS, EVEN WITH A STELLAR PORTFOLIO
lol
I assure you most people working in IT/codemonkey positions don't have a CS degree

>Employment Change, 2014-24 600
>600
>60 new jobs per year

LMAO! Holy shit.

it's already too late for me to switch out of ChemEng

Such a worthless major

You know, there's always general engineering positions in places like the military and what not that chemicals can apply for.

H-1B'ing is only truly terrible in CS/tech jobs, because otherwise the profits are big enough to please investors.

if you jump into higher education thinking it would be get rich quick scheme you deserve what you get

>And no, YOU CANNOT GET A SOFTWARE ENGINEER POSITION, AN IT JOB, OR EVEN A BASIC CODE MONKEY INTERNSHIP IF YOU'RE NOT STUDYING CS, EVEN WITH A STELLAR PORTFOLIO
Yes, you can. Easily. It's your problem that you can't learn basic math and programming by yourself. EE is good if you're actually intelligent and has a broad interest. Anyone can get a codemonkey job, you don't even need university for that.
I saw EE dudes at one of my internships in a pure software company, they had no problem adopting.

Honestly, maybe you should do actual interesting internships where you actually do something meaningful. The same with hobby projects. So your skill set isn't zero.

There is a difference between putting a shitty VM on github which was made for the purpose of learning plus 10 other REST API calling code monkey projects and putting 2-3 projects on there where for example you demonstrate efficient audio processing on a smallish mcu or applying machine learning to automatically profile and optimize some inline assembly for you based on code transformation rules.

Really? At my school there are way more EE students than cs. They're dumb as shit though. Actually most people at my school are dumb as shit.

>Actually most people at my school are dumb as shit.
Pro-tip: don't go to shit schools.

this is at UCLA

kek what? that's not a software engineering job.

>3.82 GPA

>it's another "american students thinks his shitty easy as fuck gpa is impressive" episode

nice meme

Really reaching hard

I was trying to highlight the difference between our stats, since a >3.5 is apparently golden for jobs in the US, which turned out to be a meme.

maybe one day your country will have a top 5

"Heh, I bet my EE degree blows those two out of the wat-"

bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/electrical-and-electronics-engineers.htm

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks god im doing Industrial Engineering with a master in Automation & Robotics Engineering. A lot of jobs already, and it keeps growing.

>I won't even get started on Mechanical and Chemical Engineering.

P-please do....

with 300k jobs, the job growth is hardly a problem desu

MSc Automation & Robotics Engineering
> Good, Nice

BSc Industrial Engineering
> Huh, IE is an Easy Brainlet Major.
> Although Operational Research / Financial Math PhD are top tiers.

>IE is an Easy Brainlet Major

Not the same user but that varies from university to university. Here we only have 5 technical classes less than MEs. But anyway, if you find your major hard is because it's not the right major for you. Thermodinamycs, statics and modern physics (elective in IE) were easy as fuck to me, but a lot of MEs failed these classes.

>Operational Research / Financial Math PhD

IE covers these fields. In fact i'm doing my final project around OR.

Wouldn't it be best to get a degree while in the military by taking classes on base/online? That what I was planning on doing, Air Force or army