I want to start making my own sushi but I'm not sure how. Most online recipes just say to get seaweed, rice, fish, etc...

I want to start making my own sushi but I'm not sure how. Most online recipes just say to get seaweed, rice, fish, etc, and roll it up. People I've talked to say you need to prepare the fish properly or you'll get sick, but no one knows how to prepare it

So what should I do? Can I just get a slab of salmon from the deli and roll it into some rice or is there more to it?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/0789489163/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

you need to purchase sushi-grade fish. they expect you to cook the regular fish you see at the grocery store, eating it raw may make you sick.

You need to make sure the fish is sushi grade, which basically means it's cut and cleaned more carefully so there's less of a risk of getting sick when eaten raw. The rice should have some rice vinegar, salt, and a little bit of sugar in it. You can just buy the sheets or nori/seaweed in the Asian isle of a store and you should also buy a bamboo rolling mat to help make the roll neater and more compact. Use whatever fillings you want and it's really not that hard.

Be careful with salmon. The Japanese used to not even eat salmon before a farmed version was introduced to the country, because non-farmed salmon contain parasites.

Other than that, what said mostly. Fish markets are usually a good place to shop, if there are any nearby you, and make sure to ask the fisherman if they're suitable for raw consumption. Fresh fish only. If the eyes look glassy or it has a sickly look/smell, don't eat it.

If you're just starting off on sushi, shrimp is a good place to start. Boiled, tempura, whatever you like.

My aunt was a Japalapadingdong from Kobe. She made a marinated fish-on-rice dish called masusushi. I brought it up here before and one of the weebs knew what it was so maybe they'll be able to explain it better than I can, but I'll try.

The way she made it was soaking fish in a brine of wine vinegar or lemon juice (presumably because rice vinegar and rice wine vinegar were both uncommon/impossible to find in my country back then), water, sugar and salt. She cooked regular ol' sticky rice, put it into a mold, pressed it in place, topped with slices of brined fish and, finally, a lid which fit inside the mold rather than on top. She put a weight on the mold to squish everything uniformly then pulled the mold away (it was bottomless) and removed the lid.
Lastly, she cut it into blocks to serve. No seaweed paper because it wasn't available in my country back then.
If you don't mind cutting the sushi into wedges rather than blocks (or don't mind having a few irregularly shaped blocks), I'd bet you can use a springform pan in place of the wooden mold my aunt used to use.
I'm sure if you look up masusushi on google, you'd find better descriptions and proper measurements for the brine.

Though I suspect you were looking more for advice on sushi rolls rather than this relatively obscure type, I still hope this helps, if only a little.

Not OP, but it sounds like the use of the acid cooks the fish similar to ceviche. So as long as the fish is very fresh it might not be as important to have sushi grade?

Sushi grade fish is almost a scam cause there aren't hard regulations on what "sushi grade" means.

Also to be used in a resturant, raw fish has to be frozen for a certian amount of time to kill of any parasites so fresh is relative.

Start with just making California rolls which don't require raw fish just to get the system down. The hardest part is the rice. Find a recipie that tells you to wash and soak short grain rice and follow it to a t and it should be fine

Well, I grew up in a heavily fish-eating area of a heavily fish-eating country, so that's like fish^2. You can't get fish much fresher than from the fisherman who caught it that morning.
My aunt typically used sea trout or whatever it's called in English.
So yeah: I guess when you're not absolutely certain that the fish is safe to eat completely raw, curing it in acid is a reasonable way to prepare very fresh fish for eating unheated.
Also, I misspelled. It's masuzushi (note the Z). When I googled it after posting, it corrected it to that. When I read up on it, the leaves used to wrap it traditionally are bamboo leaves, not seaweed paper, sorry. My aunt never used either because lol90sEurope.
I haven't had this stuff in forever, so my memory is a bit wonky on exact details which is why I recommend googling.

>The Japanese used to not even eat salmon before a farmed version was introduced to the country, because non-farmed salmon contain parasites.
Hilariously, farmed salmon is even more disease-ridden than wild salmon.

Brazil? Chile?

>sounds like the use of the acid cooks the fish similar to ceviche
Ceviche is notorious for making people sick because the acid doesn't really "cook" parasites to death. A lot of them are resistant to acidic environments. . . .

>ceviche is death

Why, pray tell, do we keep eating it and there is no noticeable uptick in parasite infection?

so is any salmon disease ridden? It's my favorite fish :(

Do not buy "sushi-grade" fish. That's just a marketing term without legal meaning used to sell the same fish for more money.
Almost all fish that is sold in developed countries has been flash frozen to kill parasites, so you should be safe if the fish is reasonably fresh.
Also, due to certain fermentation processes the freshest fish is not the best tasting fish. Most fish reaches its best taste 1-2 days after being caught (time spent being frozen does not count).

Check the frozen section of your local Asian supermarket, you can get a lot of beginner sushi ingredients there. Different types of frozen roe, imitation crab meat, teriyaki-marinated eels that have been pre-cooked, etc. I've never tried using raw fish, I doubt supermarket fish is safe to be used like that.

Don't buy "sushi vinegar," it's a fucking scam. It's for white people who don't know how to make sushi rice and is just pre-mixed rice vinegar+sugar+water. You'll need to use multiple bottles to get your rice sticky enough to work with, and your rice will end up way too sweet. Just buy regular rice vinegar and mix it yourself, it's cheaper, lasts longer, and you have more control over the ingredient proportions and flavor. Personally I just use lots of rice vinegar and some water for my rice, no sugar.

You're going to want to work with wet hands. Cover your work area and bamboo rolling mat with plastic wrap. Keep a small dish of water+rice vinegar+sugar mix nearby so you can re-wet your hands as needed. Have all of your ingredients set out on dishes in front of you before you start working--once you start, you're not opening containers of any kind because your hands will be sticky with rice.

the sushi rice is the most important part

See >lol90sEurope
I'm from Italy.

>"sushi grade" is a marketing term and doesn't mean anything
What about 'grade 1 tuna?' I know that has very strict legal definitions. I've never bought any other fish for raw consumption besides tuna and when I did, it was labled 'grade 1 tuna.' At the time, I did a quick look up on my phone and saw a laundry list of things the tuna must be/have in order to achieve this grade. I don't remember all the points, but I recall the list was really rather extensive.
In case you're wondering, I used the tuna, some frozen roe and various veg to make what's basically a sushi salad (chirashizushi). Was good.

Kind of fucked up to cook it if you are white. Cultural appropriation isnt cool man. Just go to your local sushi joint

top kek

This!
Farmed salmon, unless it's ORA King or Hidden Fjord is all garbage toxic shit. Even the Canadian and American farmed salmon are shit.

See previous quote, even a lot of wild caught salmon recently has been turning up with Japanese tapeworm. Enjoy!

Any fish is going to have parasites. In fact, you can't eat fresh raw fish due to parasites. Anything you buy is going to be flash-frozen. So just make sure you get something that hasn't been sitting out for a while, and you should be good.

But user, some of the best sushi I have ever eaten were made by beaners and gooks.

>tfw no sushi

You're right, but not in the way you think you are

Japanese people don't make sushi themselves, they all go to restaurants for it. No one in Japan but sushi restaurants makes sushi

Makes sense.

Smoked salmon, tuna mayo, cucumber, the egg things.

Can start out with them just to get he feel for rolling them.

That's what I'm doing anyway.

Anyone got any links to books or anything regarding sushi making techniques?

>What about 'grade 1 tuna?'
There may be a grade like this in your country. I am from Germany and I am not aware of any special grades for fish there.

That's not sushi. That's kimbap

For getting the fish you really need to find a good fishmonger. If the only thing a store sells is fIsh, they should know their fish.
When I feel like making sushi, I just go in and tell them. And ask what they have at the moment that they would use for sushi.

I really came to trust mine one Friday night on my way home for work, I came in and asked what was good for sushi, he apologized and said nothing at the moment. There was a Japanese festival going on that weekend at the botanical gardens and a couple local restaurants had pretty much wiped him out. I bought some monkfish and made paella.

I think you mean california roll

first just learn how to make a simple rice ball (Onigiri)
then learn how to make sushi rice

after that I would start with something like tamago nigiri or Inarizushi just something with no raw fish yet before moving on to learning sashimi then making fish nigiri then the various rolls, chirashi etc...

also of course its extremely important to gain a knowledge for ingredients and skill with knives

Me and gf make sushi once a week. I lived in Japan for a while, you don't need fancy ingredients & fancy fish is optional. Take a fresh batch of chilled sushi(any white shirt grain will do ) rice , mix it with a couple tbl of rice vinegar(or normal vinegar with 3tbl sugar)/salt/1 tbl of sugar.

Place your nori on a cutting board, wet your hands when you grab the rice, fill it with a thin 1/4 inch layer of rice leaving 1 inch margin on the left /right sides.

Filling meats you can do tuna & mayo , crab, fried tofu , salmon any kind,

Creamcheese,mayo,sriracha,oyster sauce are some sauces

Filling veg ,grated carrot , sliced cucumbers , green onion,jalapenos

Line it up in the middle, roll the seaweed over the filling and compress . Then finish rolling the whole thing , wet the crease with water to glue it together .

That's a pic of a Maki roll... Fill it with whatever you want, doesn't have to be fish. The rice is what is important.

this is actually 100% true
fish actually has nothing to do with sushi and this is an extremely common misconception
in order for something to be considered sushi all that matters is the rice
sushi is a rice dish

I have purchased this book and I like it so far though I admit I haven't read through the entire thing.

amazon.com/gp/product/0789489163/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1