Reading the scribbles of Latin American """intellectuals"""

>reading the scribbles of Latin American """intellectuals"""

I just thought I'd stop by and assure you that this was in fact a great idea for a thread.

Thank you. I thought so as well.

bump

A region with an average IQ of 80, no wonder their 'literature' amounts to no more than Kill Whitey, Marxism=Good, Gringos=Bad, We Wuz Aztecs plus occasional dollops of gimmicky 'magical realism'.

>American intellectuals

These faggots never read Ingenieros

The truth hurts doesn't it, José.

Crude, but accurate.

we didnt invent Mcgraw Hill, Harry Potter or Postmodernism, blanquitos

you didn't invent anything you dirty fucking spic

you disgust me

igual no inventamos el postmodernismo, blanquita

besitos

yeah I don't want you to mow my damn lawn LOL

Btw, just because the *average* IQ is low doesn't mean there can't be literary geniuses.

Damn why are Americans and Mexicans so equally salty and fucking stupid to be honest. Even Asia has more literary worth than your filthy continent. Nothing good has ever come out of America. Any part of America. The world would be better without you.

It's rude to disrespect Canada like that.

Perhaps not, but with the way the bell curve works, it's about as likely to happen as global communism.

Borges. Borges towers over most American authors (though sadly, over 'all' other Latin American authors. So in a sense, he is rather an anomaly)

Borges is Lovecraft-tier

What did you invent, then?

>Bolano
>Lispector
>Borges

As if anyone cares about DFW outside of America

Shut the fuck up.
Machado wrote postmodernism before modernism even had a chance to fucking happen, that's on how much irony he was on.

>Borges is Lovecraft-tier

Hi user, I'm looking forward to all the growing up you have ahead of you this year!

I should have figured you were a Lovecraft fan.

>As if anyone cares about DFW outside of America

They do in some parts of Europe.

Not a Lovecraft fan, just a fan of good literature.

Did you read Euclides da Cunha, Augusto dos Anjos, Otto Maria Carpeaux, Lima Barreto, Monteiro Lobato, Mario de Andrade, Manuel Bandeira, Mário Ferreira dos Santos, Graciliano Ramos, João Guimarães Rosa, Carlos Drummond de Andrade, Cecília Meireles, Érico Veríssimo, Jorge Amado, Machado de Assis, etc?

>Monteiro Lobato

Had a hearty chuckle.

The airplane?

Yeah, OP, if youre not into Machado de Assis youre a fucking pleb.

>otto maria carpeaux, mário ferreira dos santos
>that heavy level of olavismo in my Veeky Forums

DUDE LABYRINTHS LMAO

Oh yeah... but what about literature?

>that heavy level of sjw in my Veeky Forums

Carpeaux is respected in the right and left wings. Did you read anything of MFS?

I've read Tratado de simbólica and it's absolute crap, apart from some interesting takes on color theory and Jungian psychology. You'd know if you had actually read it too.

Btw, I've read way more recs from Olavo than you can fucking mention. Good luck on finding his endgame though - it's not that hard desu.

its funny the way you shove up brazilian writers as they were somewhat relevant to the universal literature, and not shitty plagiarists
quantity != quality
in fact, its quite the opposite: brazilian literature is almost completely provincial/local and completely tied to its own time

btw, your list is high school tier
cecilia meireles? make me laugh! out of 10 poems, 1 is alright (nothing exceptional)
manuel bandeira has a good domain of the portuguese language, but then you read his poems and most of them are generics and the best ones aren't exceptional
augusto dos anjos is good with rymes and evoking an overused feeling, thats it
carlos drummond de andrade its probably the best of his generation, his poems are good but, again, nothing exceptional

brazilian poetry is fucking garbage when you compare to others country poetry

daily reminder that every nation owes a literary debt to Ireland that it will never be able to repay

>Borges
>good
>literature

No one cares, Paddy.

Drummond is great, Olavo Bilac is also pretty good, Manoel de Barros and Oswald de Andrade are good too. You're sort of plebeian, but you've got a point.

Machado de Assis is one of the greatest writers ever to live though.

>be a boookish Argentinian kid
>grow up reading Shakespeare and Schopenhauer
>travel with papá to Europe and meet avant-garde writers
>come back to Buenos Aires with no friends nor qualifications
>become mildly successful writing mediocre stories about gauchos and detectives
>develop reputation as pretentious douche
>don't feel content with current work
>start writing about DUDE LABYRINTHS LMAO
>massive international success
>hailed as the greatest writer of the century
>bluff in every single interview
>everybody buys it
>tfw people value the persona of Borges over actual merit
>tfw attempts to point out the mundanity of work come off as even more vain
>tfw published a book under a pen name and was treated as a lowly impostor
>tfw denied a Nobel by leftist academia
>tfw only wanted to write humble pulp stories
>tfw died blind and trapped in own labyrinth
>tfw all because of DUDE LABYRINTHS LMAO

>le bell curve

>You're sort of plebeian, but you've got a point.

>Hay un nombre, Borges. Sí, escribe sobre literatura. Borges, para mí, no tiene la estimación que tiene para los demás. Ahora, estoy dispuesto a admitir que sea la excepción. No creo, en absoluto, que lo que lee el escritor llegue a formar parte de su propia vida y que sustituya en cierto modo a las experiencias. No. Lo que sucede es que eso, si se suma a una serie de características personales, produce un objeto muy adecuado para la sociedad de consumo, y entonces, qué sé yo, el instinto maternal de todas las histéricas del mundo se vuelca sobre un “sieguesito”, “pobresito”, “ansianito”. Eso gusta mucho.
CELA SAVAGE AF SENPAI

lmao americans truly believe this

Carpeaux is GOAT, MFS is shit, if you want good brazilian reactionary authors I point you to Eduardo Frieiros and Adonias Filho, and I'm as leftist as they come.

It's true.

what labyrinth are u talkin about?

You say that like postmodernism is a bad thing.

it literally is

modernism was the apogee of literature and post modernism is its fast and unavoidable decline

Englishman here - Who?

Pleb. I've seen copies of Consider the Lobster sold in London bookshops.

>and post modernism is its fast and unavoidable decline

Nice opinion

Good post. Brazilian writers are awful.

L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N

More seriously, we had every single DFW book in the non-London bookstore I worked at. However, only one copy of each with the exception Consider the Lobster, which is something I always found strange.

Spanish is the greatest language.
Latin American prose is better than any other prose by default just because of the use of spanish.

>Spanish is the greatest language

Spoken with all the gusto only a Spanish speaking mind could whip up. "Greatest language" is a frame game only Latin Americans would get caught up in (As opposed to Spaniards and some Argentines, who are too self-assured to so nakedly project inferiority complex as you just did)

>implying its not french
>implying its not german

>Argentines
>Exempt from Latin American Shit

I don't read literature from the American continent. Europe has more masterpieces than anyone could hope to read in their lifetime. Why would I waste my time on an inferior literature?

>Latin America includes more than 20 nations: Mexico in North America; Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama in Central America; Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Chile, French Guyana, Paraguay, Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay in South America; Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, and Puerto Rico

Paulo Freire, a brazilian, its the third most cited guy in social sciences

>Kill Whitey
>implying white college students aren't the ones pushing the whole black lives matter scam
>implying white guilt isn't pretty much an american thing
>implying people weren't literally praying for a fucking shooter to be white

>Marxism=Good
You're right with this one, even tho most "intellectuals" don't really pick a side on economic models. Che was a mistake.

>Gringos=Bad
Also right, but it kinda is the universal feeling towards America. Don't really know why.

>We Wuz Aztecs
Most intellectuals blame Spain for not erasing pretty much any traces of native traditions. Vasconcelos and Paz express this on some essays.

Augusto dos Anjos is alright, Jorge Amado and Erico Verissimo are alright. The others are garbage. Machado de Assis is overrated, he writes well but his stories are boring fucks.

And a bloody commie that couldn't eliminate iliteracy. Hell, he could've copied USSr model but he failed at that too

>Most intellectuals blame Spain for not erasing pretty much any traces of native traditions.

kek, seriously? American critics would get crucified if they tried to complain about "native traditions."

>Still third most cited

>The others are garbage.

Are they actually?

>praises Jorge Amado
>disses Graciliano Ramos and Guimarães Rosa
lol yeah

>implying it's not English

If you want to read good literature from the past 200 years, America is the place to go.

Are there translations of Carpeaux?

Yeah, that does seem kind of odd. Maybe Euros consider Wallace a "novelty" and don't actually read him lol

>“sieguesito”, “pobresito”, “ansianito”

what does this mean?

Euclides da Cunha escapes all criticism due to pretty great narrative non-fiction in a dry witty 19th century tone.

Are we not the product of Europe? It seems the fault of the mother when a child grows up poorly.

>t. american

I'm glad we can all come to the consensus that there is no such thing as a good Latin American author.

who are you talking about?

>>tfw published a book under a pen name and was treated as a lowly impostor

tfw you plebian pathetically ate that bait

Something like poor little old and blind man

> A region with an average IQ of 80,

That means they are smarter than the ancient Greeks

> kill commies, capitalism = gud, east= bad, we waz Romans plus occasional dollops of gimmicky 'magical realism'

Now you know how I feel in every western lit class. Do you know how disappointed I was with Oedipus' tales? Literally a faggot who made stupid decisions then cried about it like a girl, yet there's tons of essays talking about how 'brave and courageous'he was.

Oedipus is nothing but a long drawn out Mariah Carey song, the rest of Greek literature a cheap copy of Babylonian mythos.

I can listen to one faggoty underoath song and get all of Shakespeare's 'brilliant' (not) themes in one minute,
about superstition and how life sucks.

Holy shit literature majors should kill themselves

>A region with an average IQ of 80
that is not how IQ works, homo

Jesús, Camilo, esa mierda fue casi esquizofrenica. ¿Qué coño le pasa?

Yeah, but doing a mocking takeoff of how latinoamerican accent sounds for spaniards

Cela siempre fue un hijoputa como persona. Y no parece que perdonase a Borges que éste despreciase públicamente al panorama literario español de su tiempo como parvo y mediocre.

>That means they are smarter than the ancient Greeks
What makes you say that?

>Y no parece que perdonase a Borges que éste despreciase públicamente al panorama literario español de su tiempo como parvo y mediocre.

Como si no fuera verdad. Franco mató a quemarropa todo el talento que crecía en España; y los que no mató, se fueron. Cela es casi una excepción. Gala, a lo mejor.

Are you seriously trying to deflect the fact that Latin American literature is shit by saying that all literature is shit? Lmaoing @ your life.

He's projecting the low quality of Latin American literature onto authors from the rest of the world. Sad, if you ask me.

Yo creo más bien que Franco aniquiló cualquier posibilidad para una escena cultural, una infraestructura, un mercado, sostenibles a la larga. Que frustró toda oportunidad de constituir una tradición literaria española contemporánea, un "canon". Pero el talento florece en cualquier parte. Umbral o Benet son muy buenos, por ejemplo. No sé si hay alguien en la esfera hispanohablante que haya intentado lo que Julián Ríos. Otra cosa es que sean comprendidos o apreciados. Un americano de clase media seleccionado al azar sabrá quién es Faulkner y probablemente haya leído algo suyo; al menos, sabrá decir de qué van Mientras Agonizo o El Ruido Y La Furia. Qué decir de los latinos y sus superestrellas del boom. Un español de clase media, de 40 o 50 años, sabe quién es Umbral, con suerte le sonará Benet, pero los que han leído algo suyo o saben algo de su obra son cuatro gatos. A Umbral y Arrabal se les conoce por haber salido en la tele haciendo de literatos excéntricos. Arrabal tiene más éxito en Francia que aquí. Los únicos autores de la época que es más o menos conocido son Delibes y Cela, y al segundo más por su personaje mediático que por su obra, igual que Arrabal o Umbral. Creo que lo de que Franco dejó a España huérfana de talento desde el 39 hasta el 78 es sólo cierto en parte. Otra cuestión es si la atmósfera de la España postrepublicana ha dado lugar a autores cuya perspectiva sólo puede entender un español (y eso no tendría por qué ser malo).

>Julián Ríos

Is this one of your famous Latin American authors?

Nah he a spaniard. He kinda tries to make a spanish Finnegans Wake with every novel. Nobody here knows of him. I think he lives in France.

I want to refute this but can't.

>ITT: uncultured rednecks posing as intellectuals

>ITT: Latin Americans agreeing that their countries have no intellectuals

FTFY

ITT: People who have accomplished nothing attach themselves to people that didn't waste their lives based on regional locations of birth for a brief sense of accomplishment.

Stop wasting space and write, faggots.

Some of us here actually read. Crazy, right?

>His stories are boring

go fucking play god of war or some shit, you philistine