Does anyone have any advice for studying or paying attention in class for someone with what is medically known as ADHD...

Does anyone have any advice for studying or paying attention in class for someone with what is medically known as ADHD?All through middle and high school I can remember studying maybe once or twice and I never payed attention in class. I hate the medicine they prescribe but I'm a little worried going into college that I won't be able to perform as well as I'd like.
NOTE: Whether or not ADHD actually exists is irrelevant to my question.

ADHD is a meme

Why bother with college if you arent going to pay attention?

There's no such thing as ADHD, you just need to fucking pay attention and stop talking your dumb classmates fagot

i bet you wear oakleys

Is ADHD that distraction thing?

If it is, and if you are going to a non-shit uni's non-shit major then you should be fine. If you made it through highschool where people are always talking, playing or doing other retarded shit, then you can make it in uni. You will enter rooms were everything is completely fucking silent. Every person is very quiet and just writes quietly while the only person speaking in the entire room is the professor.

And if you go to a non-shit exclusive major that will have small classes then even better because odds are students will be spaced around the room so you will not have to sit next to anyone who could potentially distract you.

t. second year college student in pure mathematics taking classes where there are as little as 5 students in a classroom made for 50.

Ur a faggit.

And OP, if you're bright, you can coast through high school without ever making an effort, barely doing homework and just relying on tests. It's what I did. But college is different (assuming you do STEM). You might be able to pull that shit for a year, maybe two, but it won't really fly after that. And those are the years you need to be top of the class if you're trying to get into a competitive major.

I cannot concentrate on lectures but I learn quickly from textbooks anyways. If you stay ahead on your work and make sure to get help from TA's and professors when you can't answer something then you'll be fine. If you can't find a way to get yourself to study and do your homework in advance, you will fail. Do not do your shit last minute like me. Another tip that might work for you is find somebody stupider or lazier than you to teach the material to. That technique gave my lazy ass a 3.6 my freshman year when I was taking mostly intense weed-out courses (calc, physics, chem, programming). Teaching is the best way to learn.

>if you're bright, you can coast through high school without ever making an effort, barely doing homework and just relying on tests. It's what I did. But college is different (assuming you do STEM). You might be able to pull that shit for a year, maybe two, but it won't really fly after that
Yes this is exactly what I'm worried about.
>Another tip that might work for you is find somebody stupider or lazier than you to teach the material to
That might actually be a good idea.

>calc and programming are _intense_ bro, like woah

>>Another tip that might work for you is find somebody stupider or lazier than you to teach the material to
that's what i did, lol

They are at my school. They're intended to separate the brainlets from the, uh, not brainlets. They basically just made the material more in-depth with more homework than the norm. I started in the second calc class and honestly, I didn't think it was very hard. The CSE department here is super competitive (3.7 gpa average) so the intro to programming classes are suppose to be pretty hard. I mean, I thought they were easy but apparently my grades were impressive.

The difficulty of courses and material varies a lot between universities, in case you've never noticed.

Although, out of all of the classes I listed, I thought calc and intro to programming were the easiest, so I see your point.

You should

Personally, I have never been able to overcome my inability to pay attention. I'm usually half-there during class. I counter this by studying often outside of class. I only work 20 hours a week though so YMMV.

I usually just sit on my phone during lectures because I take notes from the book prior to class. If you can't pay attention in class (like me) you just have to find alternative ways to keep up with the pace of class.

I'm a 3rd year Mech Eng student at a Top 10 Uni. I do work hard to maintain my GPA though. You won't make it if you don't work outside of class.

If you really are struggling to to pay attention even outside of class, then you'll never make it. ADHD is a meme. Just stop being lazy.

Oops, ignore the last line and any typos. Am drunk.

You need to develop good study habits now, while you can. You should avoid partying if you want good grades because you're already in a precarious position with your lack of study habits.

I liked teaching people because it held my attention pretty well. I don't know how bad your adhd is but the people I knew with it could concentrate if something managed to hold their attention. Conversation seemed to hold their attention pretty well so this idea was a byproduct of that.

I'm also more motivated to do my work if I feel like somebody is relying on me.

I cannot stress enough that you need to develop good study habits right away. If you don't, it'll be even harder to do later.

Also, the material at university is going to be way more interesting than most of high school so that might help you a bit.

>I cannot stress enough that you need to develop good study habits right away
I want to, but I don't even know how to start. What are "good study habits" and how do I facilitate them?
>Also, the material at university is going to be way more interesting than most of high school so that might help you a bit.
This is what I hope.

When you receive a homework assignment, attempt to finish it in the same day, or at least do a reasonable amount for that day. Finish your homework as soon as possible. If you cannot solve a problem, you need to get help from either a fellow student or the professor. You cannot get help last minute most of the time. Do more studying than just a few hours the night before. Study for hours every day starting several days before a test. If you manage to do this, you will get good grades, unless you're an irredeemable brainlet, which is unlikely.

As for how to facilitate them, I have no idea. I failed at trying to develop good ones. I would have failed out of college if I wasn't as bright as I am. I have my own issues though, you have a pretty good chance of being able to develop good study habits. Maybe someone else can give you better advice towards this. I'm just trying to help motivate you and give what little advice I can.

Neurobiology student here, ill give you my 3 cents.

Meds help. I take very small dose concerta, and the difference is huge. Before it, I performed at an average level, but where other people would take hours because they needed to read something 4 times or write it down or some shit to memorize it i just couldn't focus past 2-3 pages of a textbook at a time. With the meds, i can stay focused for hours on end and it's gotten me way ahead. Helped me get my phd spot, fill-in my math gaps (my calc was non-existent few months ago) and i've even gotten the focus necessary to start reading up on philosophy like i always wanted (finished das capital vol 1 in a few months of spare time reading, now reading hegel's phenomenology of spirit)

all i'm saying is, if you can get your hands on meds try them. and give them a month or so, it's not only what they do while you're on them that helps but also the long term changes they produce. even a small dosage will make a huge difference, you'll feel like you switched the game from hard to easy.

hope i could help

and to all the "adhd is a meme" retards, you have to understand what constitutes a neurological disorder. if you think adhd is a meme, might as well say clinical depression is a meme.

I tried concerta and vyvanse briefly when I was in ninth grade. The concerta didn't really feel like anything and the vyvanse made me hyperfocused, moody, and I had a sex drive like a madman (had to excuse myself from class once to masturbate in the bathroom.) I didn't like it.

>if you think adhd is a meme, might as well say clinical depression is a meme.
But they do say that.

Oh and I mean medically of course, not recreationally.

Taking drugs as a kid. Ruining your brain.

in that case, if any neuronal pathology is considered a character trait, why wouldn't i take a pill that corrects this otherwise uncorrectable character trait?

>when i was in ninth grade

your brain chemistry has changed since then. id give concerta another try if i were u

That was a long time ago and there are a lot of different medications all with varying effects.
Keep trying at it. I got lucky and 10mg Adderall XR is all I need, with basically no side effects.

I mean maybe but I don't want to go through another episode of switching out medication and doses and experimenting with my body to see what works. I just don't know.

>guys tell me what to do
>well i dont wanna do anything rly lel

you're a retard then. either accept you'll need to expend x3 times the effort other people will for cognitive labour, or man up and take your meds. or quit academia

I know the feeling, it took me forever to get the right mood medications. I was on and off SSRIs for damn near 8 years before I got a new doc that figured out I had bipolar, not regular depression.
It's worth it though. The difference in clarity and understanding is night and day with ADHD medications, and most of them are short-acting. That is to say: If you have a negative reaction, you'll know right away and you can just stop taking it. There's no 6 week buildup time like some other kinds of meds.

Thanks for posting
I've got some serious ADD
I was in college in my 30's I would study with double hearing protection to eliminate sound distractions
This meant earplugs then muffs over top
It would work well for a while, but the other problem is short term working memory is horrible

Eventually I got on the adderall and it changed my life,