Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2gu9l_TqS8I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

he looks like such an annoying and creepy dude in that pic

Didn't Joyce and Beckett do the same tho

harold bloom does this so much imo

Fucking philistine

How dare he

You just sound insecure and envious. He's not the type of writer to always be referencing books he's read like John Green. It shows he's read them in the way he's influenced by them but I don't see how this be a bad thing.

What the fuck are you fucking talking about? Borges is by far one of the least pretentious authors ever to have lived. He's one of the few people who you can tell are actually well read who don't obnoxiously drop the same four or five references again and again.

I know you're just trolling but good god did this slanderous post madden me.

You didn't get it.

He was trying to bring new methods and lights to old authors. He says so himself in his interviews but I wouldn't expect a pleb like you to understand!

lol so true.

and yet, just reading books is not enough...

>Borges is by far one of the least pretentious authors ever to have lived.
Look, I love Borges but this is just not true. The guy was a huge cunt, which is widely known in Argentina and elsewhere. He was definetly one of the most well read men of his time and loved to use this position to shit on everything he pleased.
I mean we're talking about the man that mantained that after reading Don Quijote in English, Cervantes' text seemed a bad translation.

That's because he's a critic, retard.

tlön uqbar orbis tertius is basically lovecraft/poe: the short story

and that is why latinamerica will never be something: because they create out of other peoples creations, while real people create out of their own real lives.

Serious question, why is Spanish culture so garbage? Did the Muslims rape them into retardation?

decline catholic church = decline of latin-america

I really need to stop browsing Veeky Forums during american prime time

I hope you realize how much fucking Shakespeare stole from antiquity

Most people ITT are just trolling. Calm down.

me too, i've read so much stupid shit today its hard to believe

It's about idealism and philology

>Look at the neat ideas I came up with. Let's explore them: the author
Ftfy

>Anyone who doesn't like a classic novel is pretentious
I understand that the concept of "opinion" is taboo on Veeky Forums, but Borges isn't the only one who had an issue with Cervantes text.
It's more pretentious to blindly praise something that you have issues with, just because it's a classic.

This level of pretention should be a banable offense on Veeky Forums

yall faggots getting triggered and im comfy as fuck because borges is just untouchable.

youtube.com/watch?v=2gu9l_TqS8I

they should do it too, instead they steal from theirs contemporaries

This really runs contrary to any of his biographies or friends description of him. Can you find a source describing his pretensions and unhumble attitude?

so hes basically argentinean bloom?

bingo

yes, but he integrated it into his time and life to make something out of it whereas this hack just sat down, read his ass and made some personal mythology pout of touch with his time and life.

daily reminder that
>steal
>invent
>create
are buzzwords designed by hacks for hacks that they will never achieve any nothing in their whole life

>I mean we're talking about the man that mantained that after reading Don Quijote in English, Cervantes' text seemed a bad translation.
lmao
only borges could come up with some shit like that

I don't hate Borges but I feel like this is the truth. Even when he's talking about how he doesn't think highly of himself, and how he uses a simple style because those who write excessively ornately are usually insecure that they have nothing to say, he sounds really pretentious.

It's a little bit like ... "Yeah, I may be one of the most well-read persons living, and everyone is heralding my works as the bridge between modernism and postmodernism and they've had a huge influence on South American writers, but I know writing is just a diversion, and all my stories are just pretty surfaces I make to amuse myself BTW. Here's my new collection of short stories with a little foreword to that effect."

I feel like he'd be more likable and relatable if he wasn't so passive-aggressive and just admitted his works were fucking genius.

If you really want to see some stupid shit you should see what that cranky old fucker had to say about Whitman

Borges was never awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature, something which continually distressed the writer.[7] He was one of several distinguished authors who never received the honour.[93] Borges commented, "Not granting me the Nobel Prize has become a Scandinavian tradition; since I was born they have not been granting it to me."[94]

Behind all that humility, is a man angry he wasn't given the Nobel Prize

Fucking curmudgeon

enough mind games man. he was just being polite

Out of all the retarded comments in this thread this is probably the most moronic of them all, and I'm counting the bait attempts too.

Well, Pierre Menard's version of Don Quixote is clearly better.

>lmao im the voice of a generation: The Author

He kind of does that in the Uqbar story but for the most part this doesn't describe him.

Kek

>Hay un nombre, Borges. Sí, escribe sobre literatura. Borges, para mí, no tiene la estimación que tiene para los demás. Ahora, estoy dispuesto a admitir que sea la excepción. No creo, en absoluto, que lo que lee el escritor llegue a formar parte de su propia vida y que sustituya en cierto modo a las experiencias. No. Lo que sucede es que eso, si se suma a una serie de características personales, produce un objeto muy adecuado para la sociedad de consumo, y entonces, qué sé yo, el instinto maternal de todas las histéricas del mundo se vuelca sobre un “sieguesito”, “pobresito”, “ansianito”. Eso gusta mucho.
Borges BTFO by ma boi Cela

Qué ortografía tan mala ome gonorrea ome.
"cieguecito" "pobrecito" "ancianito". Si va a criticar a Borges, crtíquelo al menos con buena ortografía faggot.

Are you retarded? That's written by Camilo José Cela, a spaniard. Not me. He writes "sieguesito", "pobresito", "ansianito" just in order to mock latin accent.

>Watch me beautifully recite this obscure poem out of context of our conversation by fucking memory

God he's such a pseud!

>butthurt spaniards mad about their dwindling world influence in everything cultural

who cares

oh... so that what it is...

How come all his ideas involve necessarily namedropping Plato, biblical quotes, and latin incantations? We get it, nigger, you studied latin. I swear latinists are the vegans of literature

he was blind here