Popular regional cuisine that makes you question your area's judgement

Popular regional cuisine that makes you question your area's judgement.

Southeast Pennsylvania: Tomato pie. It's exactly what it looks like, a near cheese-less pizza served cold.

Every locally-owned restaurant here has at least one completely disgusting potato dish that has no place existing because LMAO IDAHO POTATOES EVERYBODY LOVES POTATOES

I had the misfortune of having to drive through the bottom 1/3 of idaho in the late summer a few years ago. It smelled like rotten onions literally everywhere you went.

yeah that's probably the sugar beet factories.
Smells like a morgue without refrigeration.

>served cold

>SE PA
>Not choosing the cheesesteak

Seriously, I'd take a roast pork on a seeded with provolone and greens any day of the week over greasy burnt cow flank topped with cheese jizz.

100% agree. Memesteaks could disappear from this area and I wouldn't give a shit.

Maybe if it was like a side? Breadsticks with baked on marinara?

>Boohoo I have things that are popular
Fuck off

That looks great.

I just think it needs something else, you know? They're alright, just very plain.

>Boohoo I have things that are popular
>Fuck off

>be 12
>shit your pants in class
>everybody knows you as shit-pants
>grow up
>become bio-chemist in pharmaceuticals
>invent 1 pill that cures cancer, AIDS, all flu strains and the common cold
>rid the world of all these things
>die
>people find out about your death
>"hey, isn't that the kid who crapped himself in 7th grade?"

that's what it's like

Lancasterfag here.

Every tomato pie I've had has been served hot. And they're more like eating a tomato-heavy quiche than a pizza.

But don't you see? Shitting yourself WAS your life achievement.

I don't think we're talking about the same thing. The tomato pie I'm referencing is noting like a quiche and everything like a cold cheese-less pizza. It's more native to the Philadelphia area so it may not be as popular past Chester County

Exactly. Not everything has to be groundbreaking or revolutionary. They might know you as shit pants all your life, but you'll be remembered by name.

I love tomatoes (the sauce is always my favorite part of pizza) and they're finally in season so I might try this.

in SE pennsylvania MCdicks actually serves scrapple LOL. look it up

I love Texas and it's food but Frito pie doesn't appeal to me at all

>invent disgusting regional fat fuck meme dish only flyovers like
>everyone who's not the """city""" of shitadelphia hates it
>"y-you're just a contrarian!"

Try some real regional dishes some time like a cup of clam chowder or some 'go 'za

I remember the Travel channel having multiple sandwich rankings with this fucker winning basically all of them (at least the ones it was eligible for).

Saint Louis metro. Pizza's crap
>cracker crust
>square cut
>cheese won't bond to crust

Toasted ravs are GOAT tho

You can walk into any italian bakery and find a tomato only pizza. Served cold and super oily it's tasty. There's also a version that is just baked dough covered with olive oil and olives.

In my neck of the woods this is referred to as red pizza and white pizza respectively.

Yuck. I live in PA and hate tomato pie. Scapple on the other hand... Mmm, pig assholes, guts, and lips taste absolutely phenomenal!

Cold pizza is superior, no cheese pizza isnt

I'm from Rhode Island. Stuffies are flawless.

Tomato pie is fucking delicious you mong

italianfag here
jesus christ, DELETE THIS

Montgomery county here where the fuck does is there a mcdicks that does that

Fuck off, wop

Looks like I had a mild stroke but I think I got the point across

NYC

Katz's Pastrami

The meat only has the illusion of looking juicy and nice because of the pink curing salt. It is dry and flaky (after all the effort they put in, they boil it for god knows how long), too salty, and too expensive. Jesus christ, $22 for the pastrami sandwich before sides and tax. And allow me to emphasize too salty. Not only is it unhealthy but also just downright unpleasant.

I know other local people are all "new yorkers don't eat at Katz's", but the pastrami isn't a New York thing, I don't know what is.

*if the pastrami isn't a New York thing

South Carolina
I don't get these or that sweet potato and marshmallow concoction I see everywhere

>they boil it for god knows how long

Oh ffs, pastrami is hot smoked which is why it seems salty because the cure wasn't leached into the boiling water like with corned beef. However, it seems to me they should soak it in several changes of water to reduce the salt a bit. That's what I do when I make pastrami at home. It's saltier than boiled corned beef but less than going straight from the cure to the smoker.

Well, chimichangas and cheese crisps are from Arizona. And, I know that Navajo fry bread and tamales have been made here forever. According to my Native Am friend, the traditional Indian tamales were made with cottontail rabbit (pic related). I guess Jackrabbit (which is actually a hare) is too tough and stringy.

Anyway, that shit is all good, so I can't help you OP. I guess the Natives don't like eating nasty shit like you hillbillies.

user, I'm pretty sure that they hot smoke the pastramis then boil them until tender.

NC fag here, sweet potato and marshmallow is delicious. Most places put way too much salt in the brine for boiled peanuts and it fucks them up pretty bad.

That rabbit tamale sounds interesting. Is it similar to the mexican style with pork or beef? I guess you wouldn't have a recipe?

Hmm, I guess they're doing it that way to shorten the process because mine come out tender after 6-8 hours on the smoker at 225F. That does seem kind of jewish of them.

I unironically just moved to Boise because I heard great things about it and the /out/ opportunities are endless in Idaho. Fuck big cities, Boise is the perfect size for me and I love it out here. Also, I like potatoes but I've heard the good ones get exported or sold to restaurants instead of being able to get them in the grocery stores. Hell of a winter we had out here, here comes the heat.

You should be strung up and quartered for not liking boiled peanuts.

NEPA reporting in. Never heard of this before. Sounds gross.

Go back to Norristown you illiterate

Provell can suck a big black one

Katz's wasn't really dry when I had it, but if you're ever in Montreal you gotta try shwartz's. Cheaper, juicier, and just way better.

looks like 'go 'za to me