Obama just quoted to kill a mockingbird during his farewell address. is he Veeky Forums?

obama just quoted to kill a mockingbird during his farewell address. is he Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

theculturetrip.com/north-america/usa/articles/barack-obamas-10-favorite-books/
youtu.be/udrKnXueTW0?t=41m59s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Maybe his speechwriter is not a complete pleb.

nope. proves Obama was a basic bitch normie all along.

That's a small wrist.

Law professor who went to Harvard quotes a children's book. So patrician.

Always has been desu
theculturetrip.com/north-america/usa/articles/barack-obamas-10-favorite-books/

You don't get to be Burger King without reading a few books first

actually patrician choices.

He is a great man.

Strong Capooid genes, barely anything Congoid in there
That's not so bad desu

Anyone have the thing he wrote about TS Eliot in college?

Where's the Quran?

>muh dick

typical nigger

>In Xi’s two-hour talk, Guancha reports, the president reminisced about his youth, and how much he loved Hemingway’s The Old Man and the Sea. On his first visit to Cuba, he specifically visited the locale where Hemingway wrote that novel, and on his second visit, he went to a bar Hemingway frequented and “ordered Hemingway’s favorite drink — rum with mint leaves and ice cubes”. We suspect he may have been referring to a Mojito. The report continued with the the lengthy reading list Xi had disclosed previously:

>“…Krylov, Pushkin, Gogol, Lermontov, Turgenev, Dostoyevsky, Nekrasov, Chernyshevsky, Tolstoy, Chekhov, Sholokhov, Montesquieu, Voltaire, Rousseau, Diderot, Saint-Simon, Fourier, Sartre, Montaigne, La Fontaine, Molière, Stendhal, Balzac, Hugo, Alexandre Dumas, George Sand, Flaubert, Alexandre Dumas (fils), Maupassant, and Romain Rolland… ‘Not to exaggerate, I read all the classic literary works I could find at that time’.”

>With his stunning litany of high-brow European tastes, Xi also recalled reading The Red and the Black and War and Peace, and confessed that he likes Pushkin’s love poems and Lermontov’s A Hero of Our Time, and preferred Tolstoy over Dostoyevsky. He said he was overwhelmed by Hugo’s Les Misérables and Ninety-Three, and was a fan of Cézanne and Degas.

>New additions to his list of authors include Byron, Shelley, George Bernard Shaw, Dickens, Goethe, Schiller, Heinrich Heine, Walt Whitman, Mark Twain, and Jack London. Xi, evidently, reads rather a lot.

I goch you:

>I haven’t read “The Waste Land” for a year, and I never did bother to check all the footnotes. But I will hazard these statements—Eliot contains the same ecstatic vision which runs from Münzer to Yeats. However, he retains a grounding in the social reality/order of his time.

>Facing what he perceives as a choice between ecstatic chaos and lifeless mechanistic order, he accedes to maintaining a separation of asexual purity and brutal sexual reality. And he wears a stoical face before this. Read his essay on Tradition and the Individual Talent, as well as Four Quartets, when he’s less concerned with depicting moribund Europe, to catch a sense of what I speak.

>Remember how I said there’s a certain kind of conservatism which I respect more than bourgeois liberalism—Eliot is of this type. Of course, the dichotomy he maintains is reactionary, but it’s due to a deep fatalism, not ignorance. (Counter him with Yeats or Pound, who, arising from the same milieu, opted to support Hitler and Mussolini.)

>And this fatalism is born out of the relation between fertility and death, which I touched on in my last letter—life feeds on itself. A fatalism I share with the western tradition at times. You seem surprised at Eliot’s irreconcilable ambivalence; don’t you share this ambivalence yourself, Alex?

Please remember that this is not a scholar but a kid in Harvard trying to get laid. The dude's a baller

Also, if you want any external sources on what he's talking about. I would check out any collection of essays regarding Modernity in general. The top three that come to mind are Calenescu's "Five Faces of Modernity," Modernism Ed. By Malcolm Bradury and James McFarland, and this final one I can't stress enough to really dig into this separation from perceived motive driven and ultimately corrupted 'objectivism' was nothing but a voice for the elite--in this ways modernism was a reaction to the 'scientification' of academia--anyway the book is "Literature Against Itself," Gerald Graff, it's a fucking gem.

>xi.jpg

kek

they forgot the communist manifesto

Top kek. Hi dad.

>this guy's one of those university communiss types...

>tfw you'll never be a part of Xi and Obama's high level Veeky Forums discussions
why even live.

game over, murrica

Meanwhile

> A feature in the Sunday Times this weekend recalled an occasion in the 1990s when Trump wanted to watch the Jean-Claude Van Damme film Bloodsport during a flight. However, Bloodsport is a long film – 92 minutes long, in fact – and Trump is a busy man. His solution? Making his son fast-forward through all the boring bits, like exposition and dialogue, until he was left with a relentless 45-minute supercut of broken bones and knuckle sandwiches.

What is the point of posting that without context? He could simply be namedropping.

I he black?

Meanwhile

> We hadn’t been airborne long when Trump decided to watch a movie. He’d brought along “Michael,” a recent release, but twenty minutes after popping it into the VCR he got bored and switched to an old favorite, a Jean Claude Van Damme slugfest called “Bloodsport,” which he pronounced “an incredible, fantastic movie.” By assigning to his son the task of fast-forwarding through all the plot exposition—Trump’s goal being “to get this two-hour movie down to forty-five minutes”—he eliminated any lulls between the nose hammering, kidney tenderizing, and shin whacking.

It was from a private letter to a friend. Part of an ongoing discussion.

How the fuck did Xi have access to those books in his youth? You'd think Mao Zedong would have banned them.

He was probably the son of one of the party elite.

Great taste and effective mode of consumption. Can other presidentshits even compare?

In which case you need to summarise the complete letters or post something that doesn't need context.

he probably read it in high school t b h

Haha, wow. Listen, you little /pol/lock, no matter how much you want to deny it for political reasons, Obama was a very well read and studied president. You can easily tell from the text of that letter that he has at least casual familiarity with all the people he mentioned.

Maybe you didn't like his policies but you're acting like a straight up whiny bitch right now. You idiots won the election, good for you. You have a president now that considers his own ghostwritten self help book second only to the Bible in terms of literature. I couldn't be more happy for you.

Please stick to your containment board.

>Obama was a very well read and studied president.
He's been getting lit with Jay-Z and Chance the Rapper every week for the past two years. Obama is a normie pleb.

>quoted the harry potter equivalent of his youth
>Veeky Forums
cool meme

Did no one consider that Obama may have made the reference so that America would actually understand it?

He operates on another level.

Doesn't matter
Still not Veeky Forums at all

FOURTH DIMENSIONAL CHESS

I read it in high school, as did hundreds of other kids in my grade, it's pretty pleb

Haven't read TKAMB or the sequel, but didn't the new book make Atticus turn out to be a racist?

TRUMP STILL WON DEMOCRAPS

>last two American presidents and president-elect are barely literate
>some ching chong chinaman smokes all of them with his high-brow literary taste

It's over for the white man.

I can't wait until trump takes the podium on the 20th and looks right at this skinny bastard and his ugly family and says "You're fired"

He was a good president. I'm glad I voted for him twice.

Very generic, mediocre choices. Absolutely no surprises. I'm not even /pol/ but people have been jerking him off for no good reason over his whole tenure as president.

so many dead white guys...

>During his time working in rural China , he walked 30 kilometers to borrow a copy of Faust from an educated youth that he knew.

Xi is true patrician.

>America would actually understand it?
So you're an optimist, then?

>Team of Rivals
>poster for Spielberg's Lincoln

He actually said before he was president that his favorite book is Steinbeck's In Dubious Battle. He's also a fairly good writer if you look at his love letters to some lady named Alex

>I haven't read Eliot or Yeats
>I can hardly understand poetry
>if I don't score in the 99th percentile LSAT in three weeks I probably won't ever get into an ivy league school

I'll never be lit
I'll never be President

>Emerson

:D

>Where the Wild Things Are

:\

for michelle

Of course he is! Where have YOU been?

Did we all just get BTFO?
youtu.be/udrKnXueTW0?t=41m59s

lmao you dont have to be lit to be president, you can be flagrantly unlit and get elected. the presidency is a joke now.

m8 trump is so lit, his favourite book is Too Corinthians

>airport fiction that owes its undeserved prestige to affirmative action
>actually a good book
>kill whitey with a sanctimonious veneer
>soccer mom lit
>actually a good book
>actually an okay book
>feminist mewling
>kill whitey with slightly more muted sanctimony
>local library book sale lit
>a book marketed to and read by actual human babies
4/10, that's being generous

>reads Hemingway
>sits on nukes
>gets cucked by putin in chrimea

Honestly how could he manage that? Nixon and Kennedy would just fly a b2 over the area and ruskies would pull out. Dumbest move of his presidency.

>DUDE DON'T BE CYNICAL LMAO

>"m-my legacy won't be utterly repudiated and overshadowed by the man who comes after me... r-r-r-right g-guys? look at these misleading stats someone wrote for me"

he's pathetic.

How can one man be so based

If you know your enemy and know yourself, you cannot lose.

Obama is the greatest president ever look at the new guy still throwing Twitter tantrums like a 14 year old girl lol.

Obama will go down as the greatest president ever, next to Lincoln and the Roosevelts.

This new guy has never read a single book in his life, I can't wait for strong winds one day his feminine hair flop is inevitable.

Obama is literally nothing but class, truly a stand up guy. New faggot is nothing but trash, filled with orange baboon raging lies

I like you, user

>I couldn't be more happy for you.

Thanks user, I am pretty happy. I'm going to enjoy eight amazing years of leftist weeping and moaning about how their stupid bank shill didn't get elected. Trump's not even in the White House yet and the butthurt levels have been off the charts, I can't wait to see what happens in a couple weeks. You have to understand that watching leftists get upset is like free entertainment for me, and since Trump is so good at creating these freakouts I can forgive the fact that he's a pleb.

that book is 8th grade tier, of course not

I also like you

Trump is a fool. He's already disgraced the name of the United States.

You don't care about this country at all. You have no real sense of patriotism or national pride if you like Trump. All you have is a broken twisted nostalgia for a country that never existed.

As a former member of the US intelligence community, I can say that my disgust for his disregard of vital intelligence is based in solid fears about the kind of uninformed, idiotic movements he's going to make in the next 4 years.

If you think the US and Russia can live in complete peace during a Trump presidency without simply letting Russia invade and intimidate nations all over eastern Europe, then you need a serious reality check. Maybe you should read a book about it.

Putin is a wolf. Trump is a walrus that thinks it's a lion.

>Trump is a fool. He's already disgraced the name of the United States.
he was a better option than hillary and realistically only one of these two would win

>You don't care about this country at all. You have no real sense of patriotism or national pride if you like Trump
again, the other option was worse

>All you have is a broken twisted nostalgia for a country that never existed.
never existed? you're out of your mind
trump supporters may magnify the glories of the past, but its undeniable that america today != america yesterday

>As a former member of the US intelligence community
this don't give you any credit to predict what is gonna happen in the next 4 years... if you said you had a crystal ball maybe...

>If you think the US and Russia can live in complete peace during a Trump presidency without simply letting Russia invade and intimidate nations all over eastern Europe, then you need a serious reality check. Maybe you should read a book about it.
i don't care at all about europe

>hillary
Hillary Clinton is not a fox or a lion, true enough but she isn't a buffoon and will listen to advice from talented, intelligent people. She's also extremely intelligent and exceedingly diplomatic.

What you've done by selecting Trump over her is taken someone that knows significantly less than her on these issues but who is also completely intractable to anything that does not conform to his preconceived notions.

I'm very good at reading people. The reason Putin supported a Trump presidency is because he's unpredictable and likely to weaken the US and NATO's long term strategic goals.

>never existed? you're out of your mind
trump supporters may magnify the glories of the past, but its undeniable that america today != america yesterday
On racial issues it certainly never existed. Italians and Irish were not considered white until we saw an increase in the spanish/latino population.

Economically it only existed for about 10 years because literally any other country in the world with industrial capacity had it destroyed by WWII.

Even before NAFTA was signed, manufacturing was less than 20% GDP. Today it's like 12%. Trump isnt going to return is to the 1950s economy without destroying the rest of the world's industrial capacity. That's literally the only way you will return to that state.

>i don't care at all about europe
Because you don't understand international politics. Europe is a buffer for the US. Eastern Europe especially. We have bases and interests there specifically so we won't have to worry about encroachment into actual US territory by Russia. The same goes for China. Taiwan, Korea and Japan are there to act in containment of a power that could one day rival the US.

The US's international position stabilizes the world. Most Americans know nothing of war and as such do not seek to avoid it. They literally cannot conceive of a world where they don't have heat and running water and are thus unafraid of losing it.

If you let another power gain the strength to rival the US you risk the possibility of a war on our soil rather than our enemy's and mark my words, that war is coming in the next 40 years. The question is whether it's fought in China or the US.

I don't need to read this thread to know it's cancer.

>creator of ACA and the Auto Industry buyout is a communist

this post makes it worth it Also, has anyone noticed The Red and the Black slowly moving up into meme territory? im ok with this

this isn't the blue pill or the red pill, what is it m8s?

It's the "taking into consideration a number of ideologies in order to form a well rounded opinion about the state of the world" pill

Or, if you'd rather, the "read a goddamned book" pill.

This, packaging a rigid ideology into a meme like "xpill" is a sign of intellectual decay, to say nothing of what it means for people who actually embrace said meme.

>preferred Tolstoy over Dostoyevsky

Was with him until then

Absolutely patrician

Too busying getting stuff done in real life to read

All of his warnings fell on deaf ears since everyone in the country either
1) No longer respects him or what he has to say
2) Will try to take his advice seriously, but since mainstream political thought across the spectrum requires people to see themselves as recipients of truth rather than interpreters of fact, the pluralism that Obama calls for is impossible, and the hope he prescribe is useless

>this is the man that will save us all

tybx

>TTIP
>communist

patrician af

Complete fucking memester!!!! I read this shit months ago and it's obviously fluffed up bullshit to make him seem "smart and worldly". Same thing as Putin riding around on a white horse or going on long walks alone at the death of his judo master, what a fucking ponce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

t. Barack /Hussein/ Obama

>Despise the bourgeois liberalism
>Becomes the image of bourgueois liberalism

Hmmmm

Obama is almost a classic conservative.

Don't be fooled by distraction issues.

>when you went to Harvard and have reading contests with Karl Rove but you've gotta pretend to be a redneck so that hicks will vote for you