How do I stop the barbell falling forward on the way up

How do I stop the barbell falling forward on the way up

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/9L5jOvJl5IY
youtu.be/V1XDZ6dyZEY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Add a vector to counter the forward force.

That's what I'm asking

squat plug

Try low bar squat
>get stronger

Tense up your abs on the way up. Use your core, not your back.

Put it between rails so it can only go up. However, the ability to keep it in place normally is part of the weight training. Any machine that guides the weight for you is essentially a crutch.

Should I get a belt then?

Need to fix form to get stronger

No, the reason you're failing is either that you're not activating your core, or that your core is too weak. If you get a belt it'll just be taking the place of a strong core, and you'll always have a bitch core.
Deload and work your way back up if you can't do the weight right now because of muscular imbalances, but don't use other things to try to make up for having bad form.

I thought belts helped activate the core more, that's what layne norton says anyway

They don't activate the core more, they provide a wall for the abs to push out against creating even more intra-abdominal pressure (and hence torso stability).

You need to keep you chest up

activate your glutes. push your knees out laterally.

let your hips fall lower, keeping knees out and weight on heels.

If you find this hard, elevate heels to accommodate.

Higher you squat, teaches bad habits.

A belt helps, but elevated heels are better for this.

My picture is on the way up. I squat to parallel usually

If you have bad technique you shouldn't be squatting the weight you currently are.

As for balance, try to focus keeping weight on your heels. Arch your back as much as you can (arch backwards, not hunch).

How much should I drop. I'm only doing 190 there

Holy shit I thought I was on Veeky Forums, why the fuck would you post this here

Probably 135 or so to perfect your technique. Slowly work your way up while maintaining technique.

I only squat 2x per week though it would take months to get back to where I am

When I originally posted I thought I was in fit

Drive out of your heals

you are putting your chest down to keep balanced. you need more rom in alot of areas, especially ankles.

he can't because of poor rom

Realistically...

Why is lighting weights like this done? Are there parts of the body that can only be exercised in this way, or is it 100% gym rat show off bullshit?

Squats are probably the best exercise for overall body muscular conditioning. They hit your core, your quads, hamstrings, glutes, back, all the good stuff.

bar should be directly over midfoot for the entire lift.

you lean forward because so much of your weight is behind you

widen your stance a bit, push your knees out and externally rotate the legs at the hip joint so that you sit more "between" your legs rather than behind them

pic related is an extreme but it illustrates the point -- if you want bar over midfoot your body has to be balanced (forward and backward) around your midfoot as well

>gym rat show off
world's strongest man has a massive squat.
squatting isn't the ONLY way to get strong, it's just really efficient, and non-brainlets like efficiency.

and by "knees out" i mean out to the sides. don't let them collapse inwards or it's snap city. don't overdo it of course -- like 30 to 45 degrees is enough. you will need to turn your feet out so your knees can track with them.

pic related another example what we are talking about.

Not that guy but I think some people are just built differently. Personally I have no problem squatting all the way down with ankle rotation, but my center of gravity is never over the center of my feet. Maybe I have a heavy ass or something, but my CoG is always at the very very edge of my heels. If I'm not leaning all the way forward I will fall backwards.

That's only for unweighted squats. The weights actually change everything. I can lean a tiny bit forward with the barbell and be perfectly balanced.

I mean imagine a barbell in her shoulders in the left pic. She's only balanced there as it is because her arms are outstretched. A barbell on her shoulders will definitely make her fall back.

>my center of gravity is never over the center of my feet
use your hip joint. again look at based Lu here >She's only balanced there as it is because her arms are outstretched. A barbell on her shoulders will definitely make her fall back.
a barbell is much heavier than her arms -- she would only need to lean forward like 1 inch to balance herself

Here is the full rep

This particular exercise uses practically every muscle. Every one.

get some wl shoes

and a belt

you gotta go like an inch lower

You didn't even go below parallel. Doesn't even count as a squat. You should definitely deload. Only do weights that you can do. You won't be getting back up there if you deload, you'll be getting there for the first time.

How much should I deload

>empty gym
How I envy you

It was a sunday, I'm literally the only one there on sundays

If you've been half squatting this whole time you should see if you can do an ATG squat without the bar at all, and if you can try with the bar and move the weight up as much as you can while going as low as possible.
I know this sounds demoralizing, but you haven't actually been doing the exercise. I don't know your actual mobility. And the difference in weight you can do half squatting to full squatting might be a bit drastic, since you haven't been working the extra muscles you use when you go all the way down.

How I envy you

stretch more my dude, try these youtu.be/9L5jOvJl5IY and youtu.be/V1XDZ6dyZEY

ATG is a meme. Parallel is fine.

didnt' break parallel, doesn't count.

feet a touch wider, point toes out ~15-30 degrees, knees track outwards (in the direction of your toes), this will open the hips. follow these guidelines and you will find it easy to break parallel.

failure to break parallel is not only failing the lift, it is very bad for your knees.

as for the deload, well, it's fucking babyweight, you probably don't strictly need to deload, but you DO need to start doing the actual exercise, i would recommend a mini deload doing 1 plate until you figure it out then you can move back up to your current max by 10 lb (or even more) increments

you'll know you did it right if the next day your hip adductors (inside of your thighs where your leg meets your body) is sore as fuck after having been exercise for the first time ever by a proper squat.

t. DYEL

The guy is doing 1.6 plates there, deloading to 1 isnt a mini deload, thats like 40%

mini in terms of time, not weight

Thats still like 4-8 weeks depending on how often he squats

t. 1p8 atg squatter

You are doing a high bar squat as if it's a low bar squat

t.1.5 pl8 quarter squatter

lower the weight. it's too heavy for you.

Ask Veeky Forums, However because I am Veeky Forums.
Lower the weight, practice straightening your back, preferably no weight, then with perfect form lift the goddamn barbelle >.

Try putting a 2.5kg plate beneath each heel, really helps the ankle mobility which is where the leaning forward comes from.

It's a bit too heavy so you let your back take some of the weight. Either lower the weight or just push through it until you get strong enough to do it properly.