Hi Veeky Forums, I'm bored. Anyone in Melbourne want to meet up and go to the Federarion Square book market on Saturday?

Hi Veeky Forums, I'm bored. Anyone in Melbourne want to meet up and go to the Federarion Square book market on Saturday?

Other urls found in this thread:

fedsquare.com/events/fed-square-book-market
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I would, if I didn't have a family and a strong fear that you would murder me. Or even worse, be an awkward person.

I will meet with you

No murder
Cool, when and where and how?

I will be dressed as a bouquet of roses.

>No murder

That's what a murderer would say.

When
14:00
Where
The art gallery
how
in my wheelchair

I'll just stay there all night tonight so as not to miss you.

What possies can you handle in that chair?

all of them

Fuck yeah, I won't be able to sleep tonight!

Like all nights.

It's cold out here.

So what is your name?

Depends on who's asking. I get called all sorts of names. My pals call me Toothless Gillard.

Can I call you Gummy Gill?

That's what my OTHER friends call me...

i would come but i'm working whole day and have something at night :(((
if you're at melb uni this year we can hang

Am I your other friend?

Please tell me you didn't go to Xavier?

Lit meetup sounds pretty cool. I'm down for this.

Not a 10/10 qt fembot however...

I'm down for it OP.
What time?
We can meet on the corner near the infomation building

fedsquare.com/events/fed-square-book-market

From 11

unfortunately no i did not go to xavier

Is it even still on?

If you're willing to meet a leb then I'm down for it

I would, but I work. Also, I'm scared of murder, as the other user said.

I'm a femanon, but honestly why would I trust the men of Veeky Forums?
That means I'm probably at least twenty times more likely to get murdered.

>scared of murder
Why the hell would he invite you to fed square to murder you?
Worse thing that happens is he's a sperg.

See

>anons scared of murder

Do you honestly think those type of people browse Veeky Forums?

Also, fuck off Dom

Also the likelihood of being told I can't actually read is quite high, considering the place this is, and the gender I am.
>tfw the other women I know read YA or nothing and the men who read hate me on principal

>user doesn't know I carry a pocket knife

Also any Canadian / QC user that wants to talk / meet up?

If we meet please be my gf

OP, Is this thing even on? Your link says it has expired
Yeah, I thought that was covered quite nicely by "Worse thing that happens is he's a sperg"
Why even post in this thread if you have no intention of coming? (you)'s

While we're in a melbourne thread. Are user's ready to give up darts with the insane prices they're going to? Anyone know any little stores that sell black market darts cheap?

I'm trying to gauge how many Veeky Forums anons are in Melbourne to figure out the likelihood of meeting one in my daily life and maybe finding a bf who actually reads good books and will talk about philosophy and literature and politics with me.

Also considering that it's a Melbourne thread, what are some good bookshops in the CBD? I usually go to Readings, but it's a bit out of the way.

I'm sure you'll find someone special at Melbourne uni to help you stroke your ego.

90% of it is shitposting and the other 10% is mental illness. Don't take it seriously.

Post books

Hipsters and SJWs? No thanks.

Nice pun, but I don't send or take nudes. If I wouldn't do it to a bf (not that I've had a serious one. Just a little thing when I was 14 which only resulted in one kiss and lasted a month), why would I do it to Veeky Forums? It's too slutty.

In all honestly. Have you even met anyone who "talks about philosophy and literature and politics" that doesn't come off as a pretentious asshole a lot of the time? Not being cynical it's just my personal experience. And I'm not saying that I'm above the rest or that I'm well read.

Excellently crafted bait. The word SJW is a bit of a giveaway though. I'd avoid it except when baiting dumber audiences like /pol/
This one is so obvious that it's either written by another person or you're getting desperate

Well, I have met my parents, who talk about those things without being pretentious. So I aim for that. But I guess it could be an age thing. I think the key is to not take yourself or it too seriously, and remember that fun and laughter and silliness are good too.

>waah people don't believe I read
>won't even post one book you enjoy

Not the guy posted but you can't really tell if it's bait or just ironic self deprecation anymore.

Yeah I guess you're right. Funny, I know a guy who would be perfect for you.

Who cares about replies? I wasn't being serious here Anyone who needs validation from Veeky Forums replies needs help.

The other stuff was true, albeit a bit tongue in cheek (wording wise) at in The sentiment is true though. I would like a Veeky Forums type bf.

Gee, it's almost like you're autistic and can't tell when someone is being serious or not.

Post texts or gtfo

Oh, you weren't making a book/boob pun?
Well in that case, in no particular order
>War and Peace
>Dead Souls
>The Brothers Karamazov
>Le Mythe de Sisyphe (read in French)
>The Age of Reason
>Middlemarch
>To the Lighthouse
>Wind Up Bird Chronicle
>A Confederacy of Dunces
>Naked Lunch
>The Tale of Genji
>The The Heike
>Journey to The West
>Meditations
>The Iliad and The Odyssey
>many more. You're asking me to condense many years of reading into a few lines.

Beautiful image, just replace "8 layers of irony deep" for "a Hegelian".

fuck lads i'd go but too busy tomorrow.
good to know that some melbournians are browse lit though

Not bad taste desu, Murakami is overrated though.
>Le Mythe de Sisyphe (read in French)
kek'd, that's so stereotypically Veeky Forums. Are the translations of Camus really that bad? I've only ever read him in French, but I don't feel like he has incredible prose or anything.
Tomorrow is Thursday

Not that other user.

>Le Mythe de Sisyphe
>Meditations
>Naked Lunch

So, Absurdism, Stoicism and complex-to-read works? Read the "Mūlamadhyamakakārikā", get the one translated by Mark Siderits/ Shōryū Katsura and, good luck with that. I'd assume you would like "The Book of Disquiet" by Pessoa too, though not for the same exact reasons as the other.

Alright, thanks for the recommendation(s).
I really like the French writers, but the Russians are my favourite. I'd love to learn Russian, but I grew up in the country and the only options were French and Indonesian (fucking useless language).

I read a lot of him when I was 15, and really liked it, but haven't touched it since. I was just spouting from the top of my head. There are plenty of other books I've loved over the years.

I read him in French because it was easy (highschool french desu), I did find that it was quite different in translation.

So which exclusive private schools did we all go to?

Also, after looking it up, double thanks. I've been meaning to look into some form of Buddhism, because I don't know much about aside from the whole 'rich man went to poverty voluntarily and sat under a Bodhisattva tree and reached enlightenment' creation story, and I've read the Bible, Qu'ran, Torah and parts of the Vedas, the Mahabharata and the Ramayana. I feel like there's a bit of a gap in my religious knowledge.

oh true. is this thing even on though?

approx. 7-8k per year private school

i'm not that bad am i?

The real question is, will a magistrate avoid sending you to prison when your QC mentions what school you went to?

Why do you need a private school? I went to one for a while but was desperately unhappy, because there was very little true intelligence, just a lot of spoon feeding and good facilities (and the people sucked). I switched to a state school and was much happier, and got an ATAR well into the 90s.

I read him in high school french too.
Our teacher was this eccentric old lady who wrote her PhD thesis on Camus. We did a lot of stuff on the Algerian War which was pretty interesting.
Have you read Stoner? That's my favourite book of all time.
Select entry state schools > Private
The website says it isn't. Has anyone been recently?

Coincidentally I just borrowed Stoner from my library to read for the first time.

Best library in Melbourne?

I'm quite partial to the Baillieu even if it was better before the renovations started.

>I know a guy who would be perfect for you.
Oh? Are you at Melbourne Uni?

State Library desu. It's so classic. I work in libraries and most actual public ones are havens for centrelink fiends, parents who can't control their kids and retards.

Most of them don't even have many books and focus on having computers and recording studios and vidya and shit.

What do people even do in libraries these days?
It's so much easier to download books than to go to a library and hope they have it. The only times I go to them are to study in groups or for events.

See

I'm down but I'm pretty sure I'm a sperg. Also I only just got into lit so I'd be very lacking in conversation.

Stoner, Meditations, Blood Meridian, Infinite Jest, The Stranger I've read since the start of the holidays so I'm making some headway. Currently going through Kants Critique of Pure Reason.

Is that embarrassing?

>Is that embarrassing?
Only if you let it be. Stop caring what other people think of you.

Sorry disregard Infinite Jest, I read that in my last year of high school don't know why I mentioned it.

What are you studying at uni this year?

Good point, I suppose my fear is misplaced but surely you can relate to being surrounded by elites when you're merely a beginner.

Media and Comms major 3rd year, decided to pursue a philosophy minor this year. Unimelb.

Sure, but what are you reading for?
If it's for your own betterment rather than the admiration of your peers then it shouldn't matter.

Yeah but I'm not considering reading, I'm considering going to a meet up. A social situation that requires you to relate to your peers. Maybe I should just ask for recommendations or something.

>2pm
I think it would be done by then, starts around 10 doesn't it?
lets contact them and find out
you can read books?
we will check first thing tomorrow morning, its wednesday and this isn't till saturday fucking relax
I can definitely talk politics
Minotaur for science fiction & fantasy, just ignore all the retards there for the pop culture merch
Paperback Bookshop and Hill of Content at the top of Collins St
Metropolis Books in the Curtain Building
Embiggen Books on Little Lonsdale
Resistance Books in Druids House
Basement Books on Flinders St
>tfw I made it my mission to photograph a hundred book shops for librarything to get a gold medal on my account

Is Basement Books something like Basement Disks (one of my favourite music shops in Melbourne)?

Politics in the /pol/ sense?

No lol. You'd spit on me on the street if you knew who I was.

I usually just go to fucken Dymocks mate. I'll check these out.

>on Saturday?
>tomorrow is Thursday
get out

What? Why?

>Dymochs
Pleb. Melbourne has great indie bookshops.

As someone who hates the image of Melbourne urbanites I've probably avoided these unconsciously.

Well, let's just say I only come to Veeky Forums for the bantz. Not a women-hating/minority-hating poster btw. But I don't read much at all. Why are there so many gays on Veeky Forums though?

You just have to pretend they aren't there and look at the books dude. If you hate them, how do you even leave the house?

It will be when I confirm if the book market is still a thing first thing in the morning

If not maybe we can try something else
Northcote is good, open til 8pm so you can chill and beat the heat
There is a library down in South Melbourne that has a huge stock of fucking Criterion dvds for loan

Fair enough.
I don't think most people on Veeky Forums are on a level where they won't be able to relate to you though. It's just a fun meet up, nothing serious

I live on the Mornington peninsula lad, a bit out of the way. I just often commute for uni.

well they are in a basement
they're the only secondhand bookshop left in the CBD
no
Dymocks ruin books with fucking awful rfid theft prevention tags that they put INSIDE THE FUCKING BOOKS

>Why are there so many gays on Veeky Forums though?
Maybe literary culture is more accepting of homosexuality, meaning gays feel more comfortable expressing themselves

Is anyone else paranoid that they are talking to people they already know but are too scared to talk to them IRL?

Damn, that IS a bit out of the way. Why not move closer in? The myki fairs must be insane.

>no
Good. I don't care if you're left or right, provided you're neither a /pol/tard or an SJW. Well considered opinions please.

Eh, would not say that about Veeky Forums. Especially with all the /pol/ posters invading here.

I have like no money, hopefully this year I will. Also my work is at a winery here.

>provided you're not a [...] SJW

bogeyman of the right and /pol/, to describe anything that challenges them

Is it worse at the moment, or is it just me?

What do you define as an SJW?
It's basically a buzzword at this point.

Uh oh...