What spices and herbs do you think are underrated and should be used more often?

What spices and herbs do you think are underrated and should be used more often?

Salt. Very underated.

Sumac.

i think they're all very well used really. just depends what you are making... I mean, if you only make Italian food i would imagine that you wouldn't use much lemongrass or turmeric; whereas others who make curries and Asian dishes would. so yea, it all depends on you.

>but for a good almost all rounder, id say bay leafs

Juniper Berries

>sumac

Do you mean these berries from the sumac bush (pic related)? They grow in the woods around my house and I've steeped them for an iced drink that's similar to lemonade. What kind of dishes do you use them for in cooking?

Cumin

Its found everywhere in Indian food, but it also works well with traditional European dishes

I enjoy mace. It's good for savory, smokey dishes.

I only took plant taxonomy once, but you might want to look up sumac again before steeping them again. I know certain sumac can irritate skin, and have that inside you can not be good.

Thanks for the warning, you can't be too careful with wild edibles. But I'm certain the ones near me are Rhus glabra, (smooth sumac), not the toxic kind.

>it also works well with traditional European dishes

No it doesn't.

In moderation it does - I like it mostly in some side dishes.

At first I was going to say how that's bullshit since salt is the most used spice there is, but then I agreed with you since most people I know undersalt their food.

Ginger. Only Asian families ever seem to use it, despite ginger being absolutely delicious.

fennel

fenugreek

Chili uses tons of cumin.

Try making glazed carrots with ginger. It's amazon.

Came here to post this.

Dehydrate, use in marinades for tuna, eel, halibut and similar fish before grilling
Bay leaves are terrific because they add a lovely base of flavour without overpowering much. Add to rice and other grains
Delicious with game, as a garnish or in sauce
Fenugreek is cool because of that complex raw curry aroma and works great when toasted fully before use

My vote goes to allspice; having encountered it a great deal in eastern European cuisine, I am having successes incorporating into curries and strangely enough dressings

Ground fennel seed mixed with oil and brushed onto white fish is pretty good.

Allspice and mace are amazing in bread sauce

Cumin is used in Spain which happens to be part of Europe you fucking retard

mace is good in a lot of things. its usually a better choice than nutmeg when its not playing a main role.

Also for me, its gotta be cardamom in dessert food. I love that shit so much.