What other vegetables could I put in beef stew besides carrots and taters?

What other vegetables could I put in beef stew besides carrots and taters?

celery and onion

Celery root
Parsley root

I like rutabaga and parsnip in a small quantity
Just for extra flavour

I'm assuming that onion is in there just because everything needs onion in it

Can someone point me to a good beef stew recipe?

Parsnip, onion, turnip, rutabaga, mushrooms, celery,

Maybe some peas

chop up some fresh maters and toss them in

Not a vegetable but some garlic andRosemary would make it pretty tasty

Fresh (or if that's not available, frozen) peas are really nice in beef stew. You could also try something like green beans if that's more your style. Onions are mandatory.

Chef John does an Irish beef stew that's pretty good and really easy to customize to your liking. Something I picked up on his suggestion is instead of adding potatoes into the stew, I serve it over mashed potatoes.

cabbage
garlic

I put a can of stewed tomatoes in mine also

okra, (mushrooms)

Why would you want okra?
Doesn't it taste like slimey nothing?

Along with what everyone else mentioned, corn, either off the cob or small chunks of the cob.

Why are the mushrooms in parentheses?

Swede

he asked for vegetables and wanted to tread around spergs
okra is easily one of the most underrated veg for an assortment of uses, both culinary and physiological. though yes, you need to mete use to not make a slime monster. the land of stews, new orleans, uses okra in a ton of food

>the land of stews, new orleans, uses okra in a ton of food
Isn't that because it's slave cuisine from Africa?

Parsnips, yams, beets etc etc etc...tubors, gords and root veg all do well in stews.

is that your educated conjecture?

The base of a lot of stews/soups is what's called a mirepoix, which is French for "equal amounts of celery, carrot, and onion, because fuck, that shit's delicious all together." So basically, start there and build and you can't go wrong.
Garlic, shallots, turnips, parsnips, mushrooms etc. Make sure to use some herbs to give the stew body, like thyme or whatever. Also if it's a beef and red wine stew, a teaspoon of marmite/vegemite gives it so much umami, I promise. It sounds horrible but you can thank me later.

Thyme and za'atar

>americans consider potatoes a vegetable

>a europeon pretending to know what a vegetable is

>not knowing the difference between tubers and vegetables

No it's cajun/creole cuisine from when it was a french colony.

French don't use okra
West Africans do

Nigeria is the second highest producer of okra, next to India.

who gives a FUCK. this is a question of its culinary use, which in stews is unquestionable

>french fries are a vegetable

Since when is a tuber not a type of vegetable?

Technically any edible plant can be called a type of vegetable but we differ between fruits, nuts, herbs, spices, vegetables, tubers, grains et cetera.

If someone were to ask you 'did you eat your vegetables today?' and you answer 'yes I just had some crackers' you'd be a silly lad.

Celery, swede, turnip, parsnip, literally whatever's cheap at the store, and dumplings.

this. plus mushrooms

According to the US Congress, pizza is a vegetable. You're not calling them "silly lads" are you?

congress is probably the biggest collection of silly lads to ever exist tbqhf

rolling for this. Celeriac is amazing. Try making your bolognese with 2 parts carrot, 2 parts celery and 1 part celeriac

Peas, onion, celery, parsnip, turnip, rutabega. For a pleasing celery-like flavor, see if you can find some lovage and put a few crushed leaves into the stew for a strong, but crisp taste.