How does a little tiny seed turn into a big huge plant? Obviously its a biology, but when?

How does a little tiny seed turn into a big huge plant? Obviously its a biology, but when?

Other urls found in this thread:

scholar.google.com/scholar?q=molecular seed germination
youtube.com/watch?v=TfYf_rPWUdY
dev.biologists.org/content/133/21/4163.short,
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I've asked similar questions about the driving forces behind embryology and I can never seem to get a good answer.

Yea this is a really neat and good question.

A-are you fags confused about the mechanics of cell division and differentiation?

Why do you only visit Veeky Forums when your highschool is out of session for the summer? Why dont you post when your highschool is in session?

I'm an undergrad biology major on study leave.
Sue me for asking what part of plant growth you don't understand.

I understand your pain man. Biofags and chemfags are treated like shit on Veeky Forums, for some reason.

In the simple seed.

Moisture causes seed to leave it's dormant state.
Seed uses the energy stored in it to immediately produce root growth
Root 'finds' nutrients and the stem of the plant begins forming, along with its leaf.
Leaf bursts through ground, gathers sunlight
Continue process.

we dont take kindly to any form of stamp collector

;)

What do you mean by that? I apologize, I just don't get how the phrase is being applied here.

Life defies the law of conservation of energy.

He doesn't like empiricists because he's a high schooler leaving for university.

More importantly, how many of your breaths are now locked up in plants?

I've always wanted to do a small experiment where the only air a small plant gets from seed to full grown is my breath when I exhale. I figured I could breath into a large container like a weather balloon or 5 over the course of who knows how long then germinate a seed in a chamber that's hooked up to the balloons. That would give me some buffer for producing more balloons filled with my breath.

A carbon fixation experiment like this would be a neat high school science project (I miss those).

You describe what happens....but how does it happen?

You don't need many breaths. Look up garden in a bottle. Essentially, an entire bottle contained with moisture, soil and potential for green life will completely "overgrow" the inside of a bottle in the span of a few years.

How does a plant become bigger? How does a zygote become a human? It's basically asking the same question. These are the questions asked by developmental biologists and they study the intricate molecular mechanisms underlying growth, differentiation and cell communication

>Moisture causes seed to leave it's dormant state.

There are a lot more triggers than just moisture. It also depends on seed type. There's oxygen, moisture, nitrogen, pH level, temperature, temperature swings, light, and some even require smoke-derived chemicals, (like "karrikin" for pyroendemic plants).

Microbes in the soil are what produce the CO2 in those bottles. You'd need to do the experiment using sterile hydroponics or sterile Kratky method.

>How does a plant become bigger? How does a zygote become a human? It's basically asking the same question. These are the questions asked by developmental biologists and they study the intricate molecular mechanisms underlying growth, differentiation and cell communication
More on this?

Whenever I ask these kinds of questions I always get the classic "read a high school biology textbook" response by people who seemingly don't fully appreciate what is actually being asked.

Read a fucking highschool biology textbook

Quads tell the truth. All the info needed is there. If says the answer to his question isn't there then he needs to reformat his question, because he isn't asking it correctly.

Which high school bio text book will introduce me to the "intricate molecular mechanisms underlying growth, differentiation and cell communication" and what actually governs this process? Like, I mean exactly. And don't just had wave away with "DNA".

Basic bio just describes what happens and not the intricacies behind the how.

>what actually governs this process? Like, I mean exactly. And don't just had wave away with "DNA".

Maybe this is more your speed?

Are you autistic? I'm obviously asking for literature that doesn't treat DNA as a black box and gets into the nitty gritty exactly as to how and why each cell divides in their own specific way.

You are unironically retarded if this is not a troll.
DNA is not some handwaving catch-all term, it is the blueprint to almost all cell activity, and will have in it (mostly) all of the required instructions that would hasten or limit growth in a seed. Many plants and animals have differing ways of carrying out this early development, through usually through enzyme production being restricted until a certain environmental parameter is met.

This is unironically biology 101 shit.

What grade are you in? How old are you?

It really isn't and developmental biology and embryology is still an active field of research. You are far less intelligent than you think you are and should not be as smug.

The unique mechanics in certain species, along with the exact parts of those mechanics in certain species, are still being researched, yes.
However the basic explanation, for the level of a non Masters/PhD candidate, is not very complex.

I am smug because you are revealing just how retarded you are, kiddo.

It's a really complex issue.
There's tens of thousands of genes and proteins and some subset of the total protein content is present at any given time, changes dynamically through in- and external perception.

There's a genetic blueprint for any organism to get to its reproductive stage (the adult form) and figuring out what the exact molecular players are during the early phases of existence of that organism is very difficult.
I've learned developmental biology of plants and animalia and currently going more in depth into plants, but it's still a very incomplete picture. They have unmasked very big players (proteins, their signals/interactors/ligands/... , the pathways that constitute certain changes) in developmental processes, but that's not enough yet. People are getting closer and closer to solving the puzzle though.

>didn't google first
>wants others to google for him
>berating from the beginning

KYS OP and learn to use Google Scholar,

scholar.google.com/scholar?q=molecular seed germination

Thank you for this post, no (You)s for the other retard still dense to even understand what is actually even being asked.

Inb4 OP complains again that this explanation is not indepth enough for him.
Literally this, and , along with a few others.
Unless this is your field of research, you should never need a deeper understanding than this.

I guess yeah. It's still sealed though, which shows how fundamental these interactions are.
I think you'd need to get a lot of exhales before you can make a plant grow like that.

since you stated that question super vague (you got clearly no real scientific background op, but dont worry), its the catabolism thats turning the seed into a plant, meaning the part of the metabolism that is building up own 'plant material' from the nutrients that the seed has stored at the beginning/ the food it gathers lateron.

if you want a more detailed answer, than you first need to learn to how to properly state the
question

Geneticist here, what's your question exactly?

How DNA contain instructions? How do things read the instructions?
What actually is DNA and how does it work?

are you serious, because explaining that will take a while.

>Unless this is your field of research, you should never need a deeper understanding than this.
You should be ashamed of yourself. This is terrible logic.

No. I agree with him, kind of. For casual understanding you don't need more than some general talk, because the details will just go one ear in one ear out. And there's many of them.
For instance, it wouldn't be too difficult to talk for an hour straight on how gender differentiation in humans works, but that won't be too interesting for you because it basically boils down to: this gene induces this gene, which represses this gene. This protein is a TF which acts together with that protein to induce that gene. This one, this one and that one work together to have that effect etc etc etc.

One of the most interesting aspects of embryology, imo, is the pre-gastrulation timeframe (zygote -> blasocyste), so intricate and well coordinated.
The polarisation of Xenopus embryos is a close second for me.

it's basically just a complex chemical reaction

Faith.

seed germination control is actually really interesting

there's a critical transcription factor that is associated with germination that is negatively regulated by its own antisense transcript, which is cold-induced

But why do some seeds need a cold treatment then before breaking dormancy?
So there must also be a cold induced mechanism that makes this TF becomes expressed, no?

Its not a single cold induced mechanism. Plants have a number of protein complexes used to define and react to stressors like changes in temperature. I actually did my undergraduate research on a few of them. Most are accessory proteins which bring together response factors to generate an appropriate reaction to the stressor. All you would need to do is mutate one of the several proteins involved in germination initiation to have a domain which interfaced with one of those accessory proteins already associated with temperature and you're off to the races.

There are more complex chemicals in a single microbe that's invisible to the naked eye than are in your medicine cabinet. Life is good at packing a lot of stuff into a small package.

OP's question isn't that strange, it is amazing, and it is a miracle. But that's only because we're trained to see the world through a macro-biological lens. Humans didn't even know microbes existed until relatively recently in our history.

As others have stated, the seed waits for the right conditions such as moisture, light, temperature, etc. Truthfully a plant can't do any of this on its own, it needs a perfect environment made up of so many other species and individual organisms to make it happen. Fungi actually play a huge role, not just in gathering nutrients for them via symbiotic relationships with their roots, but by breaking down previously deceased organic matter to make up the soil in the first place.

Do you have a more specific question? We know a great deal about plant biology almost anything can be explained.

DELLA proteins play a role in those?

central dogma of biology, google it.
DNA makes RNA, RNA is used by ribosomes to make proteins, proteins make shit like enzymes that actually does everything else in the cell.

DNA is stored in a special way to fit a lot of info in a small space, it's coiled and wrapped and contained in the nucleus. Complex molecules "read" the DNA by looking at the code, ATGC, they do this by fitting the compliment of the shape of the other chemical and making a copy, eventually form and "lock and key" shape that adds another piece of the puzzle to the protein until it's fully complete. Watch this video:

youtube.com/watch?v=TfYf_rPWUdY
This is all about as simple as it gets for biology but it's still fascinating and I love talking about it.

DELLAs have a role but they're more generally jasmonate signaling pathway components. They regulate many things.

True pursuers of knowledge (scientists) will never balk at someone trying to learn more, you should be ashamed of yourself. This kind of thinking is why society is so dumb already. Knowledge is not your personal property to dole out as you wish.

But you're right soundbites are sometimes better for making your point. No need to go into excessive detail unless it's specifically asked. But principles are important.

Perhaps the seed itself contains stored data (self, evolution, function, frequency DNA...), also it is partially a processor of data as well as a receiver! It senses frequency/energy around it and when placed in the right setting which allows access to energy/frequency/information stimulus the seeds processor activates! The processor then extracts it's stored data and combines it with the other receiving data (frequency that is not stored within its own data storage that which is sunlight, water...) and in turn it manifests ad comes to fruition! Perhaps all that is works in this manor which is ultimately broken down to communication, exchange and processing!

I will always engage in educating people. But I won't go into too much detail, because of reasons I've explained before. You seem to agree with me, so why do I need to be ashamed?

All your answers lie in pic related.

Cells are fucking gay

>Energy and nutrients are stored in the seed, allowing the first burst of growth into the soil
>Roots find the soil, with water and micronutrients
>The cotyledon, the first leaf/sprout, finds the sun
>Sunlight powers the machinery
>CO2 is taken up through the leaves and is used to form the cellulose which, in time, forms the enormous trunk we see in adult trees

Not that the second part of your question made any kind of sense at all.

This is a primary school level, hand waving explanation.

Here you go you little fuck,
dev.biologists.org/content/133/21/4163.short,
that is the explanation for cell growth and differentiation in relation to one factor, there are thousands more.
Go and read, instead of asking for some short as shit answer that encompasses all the "detail" you seem to require but are unwilling to search for.

You were born a brainlet, are currently a brainlet, and will die a brainlet.
Tell your parents to go fuck themselves for ever creating you and dragging down the average IQ further for the rest of the human race.

The ultimate source of all biomass is the air, specifically the CO2 in the air. Pretty crazy when you think about it.

Every time a seed is planted, God sends down an angel to whisper "grow grow grow" into the seed's ear until it sprouts and grows into a mighty plant.

You type out words .... but do the words have meaning?

What is words? Will we science ever know?

in a process called photosynthesis the seed start to open up and sprout to a seedling. when the seedling is strong enough it starts to flower. then it starts growing upwards and the stem gets stronger.
when the flowers or leaves are fully mature it starts to yield fruit

carbon from the air mostly.

>not a botany major
ya lost

>in a process called photosynthesis the seed start to open up and sprout to a seedling.
no