What's Veeky Forums baking today? i just pulled this loaf of whole wheat bread out of the oven

what's Veeky Forums baking today? i just pulled this loaf of whole wheat bread out of the oven.

Other urls found in this thread:

dreamsofdashi.com/shokupan/
youtu.be/ySOj0fFWo1U
youtube.com/watch?v=5QpQ9Kd3t5I&list=TL1fXCCiTY5lSvHqsy1fCh2ROcQU27ro0o
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

A huge turd in my gut.

Making some yeasted banana flax bread

sounds good! what recipe are you using?

None, just winging it.

So far though:

Used a high speed blender to mix:
> Four very ripe bananas
> Four tablespoons of ground flax seed
> 1/2 tbsp soy lecithin
> 2 tbsp canola oil
> 1/3 cup maple syrup
> 1 tsp each cinnamon, nutmeg
> 1/2 tsp clove
> tsp salt
> 1/2 cup of water with yeast activated in it
> 1/2 tsp lactic acid
> 1/4 cup milk
> 1/4 cup cashews

Folded it into about 1 1/4 cup white flour + 1 cup wheat flour, mixed in chopped dried cranberries, apricots, dates. Letting it rise now.

why are you adding soy lecithin? i've never cooked with it, i have no idea what it adds to bread.

Guys, this is weird, I made a loaf of sourdough bread today and some banana bread yesterday

it cooled enough to slice! a little dense, but it's pretty damn tasty.

Helps with transitioning.

Soy lecithin is an emulsifier - in this case I used it to keep the oil emulsified with the slurry, so that it wouldn't separate out while I left the flax to gel or when I let it rise.

Potato or corn starch would have done the same thing.

This was yesterday but it was my 3rd shokupan attempt. My laziness in not wanting to go to ktown for bread won out my laziness to bake so I've been experimenting with the right Japanese toast bread texture. This was the closest attempt and I'm quite happy with it.

Pic related

recipe?

I've got some no-knead dough rising on the oven right now.

i feel like killing myself. i've been really depressed lately and baking to relax myself. been making some nice cakes lately, and i thought i'd try out the no-knead bread from the NYT because the guy said "a six-year-old -- no, a four-year-old could do it." and i think i fucked it up big time. folded it over way too much, can barely recognize a seam, have lost most of the dough in sticking to the cloth and the bowl. i'm still going to put it in the oven, but i really think i fucked it up big time.

sorry i don't want pity this sounds pitiful as shit. i'll post my dumb aborted fetus bread when it comes out in 45

post pics when it's finished!

bread is hard, dude. for something that seems so easy, there are tons of ways to fuck it up — not having the right water ratio, working the dough too much, etc. don't beat yourself up too hard!

Your bread will probably come out fine, if anything it'll be slightly dense.

I think the thing to look forward to next time is how the gradual self improvement of your loaf everytime you try

thanks guys, you both made me feel a whole lot better- it smells pretty good too

don't be so hard on yourself, man, especially because of what some nytimes faggot said
bread is really tricky and a whole different ball game from cake
and some people that make delicious bread can't make cake for shit, so be proud of your cakes at least.

dreamsofdashi.com/shokupan/

used this one to good effect. having an accurate kitchen scale was key as well as a stand mixer and an oven with a proof setting

okay! wow, thanks. yeah you are right. my cakes are good. [spoiler]but i don't think they're very hard to make[/spoiler]

Saul Goodman. I made a similar recipe for my first batch and botched it. Can't wait to see the fetus bread.

whoops no spoilers huh
it didn't even rise at all before i put it in the oven. now i'm just curious about it

>it didn't even rise at all before i put it in the oven. now i'm just curious about it
you left it in the bowl over night didn't you?

Just finished cooling these 3 loaves of cinnamon raisin bread. Really happy with how they turned out, first time trying a swirl in a dough. Crumb shot inc

ha. yes. that's what the NYT recipe said to do, though

I doubled the raisins from the original recipe and 1.5x'd the cinnamon sugar for the swirl and I think I could go up on both next time. Also added cinnamon and some nutmeg to the dough itself. Maybe next time I'll try to roll the bread flatter to get more sugar swirls.

What do y'all think?

I remember falling asleep on accident during a rise and my bread smelled like straight alcohol the next morning. Didn't rise at all on the 2nd rise either. Dumped it and started over. I feel your pain.

looks fucking delicious. being allergic to cinnamon is the worst curse. it tastes so good, but it gives me instant migraines. fml.

wow, incredible swirl. looks absolutely amazing, user.
it did smell pretty alcy. oh well. ~30m out

>post pics when it's finished!

Won't be fully risen for another three hours...and I'll still need to bake it. Plus, if it comes out good, it might cause to off himself.

i promise i won't do it. as long as it's not your first bread i won't do it

Fingers crossed for you. Some alcy smell is normal, that's just what yeast does. Mine almost knocked me on my ass when I smelled it.

Even if the bread doesn't rise much it can still be good enough to enjoy at home. Hell, maybe you can make croutons or something out of it if it doesn't turn out too swell.

Here's a pic of some sweet potato scones I made awhile back that didn't rise worth a shit but they were still delicious.

oh my, they look wonderful. any pics of the inside?

ok, i just took it out. not as bad as i thought it would be, but then again i haven't seen the inside yet

I ate them too fast to remember to take a pic... I'll have to make them again, they're really easy and fun to give out. Who doesn't like sweet potatoes anyway?

Hey that looks nice! Waiting for bread to cool before cutting it is the worst times. How long you gonna give it?

Turns out even a 4 y/o can make it =^)

i don't know, i've never done this before!

not a fetus at all! let it cool down for like 20 minutes before you slice into it!

Neat!

Now make bread pot fondue.

>not as bad as I thought

Even if you don't brew beer, read Papazian's, "The Complete Joy of Home Brewing," because he emphasizes how to relax and just let it be. His declaration that more homebrews were spoiled by fussing and worrying applies directly to bread.

ok, here it is. a little soft and wet on the inside, but it tastes pretty good with olive oil. nice and crunchy on the outside

looks terrible

RDWHAHB

nicely done!

it's actually pretty tasty

thanks, that definitely aligns with how i think. i'll see if it's in my library tomorrow

Congrats, I'm glad it worked out! If you go in to making another loaf might I suggest following a knead recipe? I was skeptical at first but after youtubing it and doing it a couple times I find it really rewarding and fun.

okay, thanks user! i think i'll try another tomorrow, though i may do another no knead just to see if i can do better with the same recipe. do you have any particularly good videos?

youtu.be/ySOj0fFWo1U
Here's a random one I had used. Their dough looks terrible but the basics of scraping, folding and the turn is in there. Really whenever I see a new thing in directions, like "fold down and pinch sides of loaf" I plug that into youtube and watch the shortest most popular vid.

How in the hell people learned this stuff before the internet I'll never know.

Great tips. Thanks very much again

youtube.com/watch?v=5QpQ9Kd3t5I&list=TL1fXCCiTY5lSvHqsy1fCh2ROcQU27ro0o
better vid and recipe than the NYT no-knead imo. better guy too

you're right you should kill yourself

It's not my first bread, no. It's my third.

I'm using a Dutch oven to cook mine, so now I've got the dough turned out and resting while the Dutch oven preheats. This dough was stickier than the previous ones and it had a notably boozy scent. We'll see how it turns out.

I bought some brie for the bread since I like brie with chewy crusts. The previous loaf was especially good for dipping in olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Made a little tiny loaf of bread, pic related

>whole wheat
Are you a COMMUNIST?
Do you like UNENRICHED BREAD?
Eat the vitamins oy vey.

That's cute and now I want one.

Cute! Crumb looks light too. I'd wager it's good.

Wow, that looks fabulous inside and out. Looks a touch dense and looks chewy (considering "chewy" a good thing) - and I can only imagine it with olive oil and balsamic! Yum!

Beautiful looking loaf!

And there we go! Cooling for 20 minutes.

I tried that same recipe and managed to fuck it up as well. The crust was too tough and the interior was unpleasantly moist.

my bread turns out too dense and packed inside, even denser than .

what's the secret to make it more like ?

It was - I was pretty surprised since it was kind of an afterthought (I had leftover proofed yeast/water from another recipe). I actually cooked it in a ceramic ramekin in a toaster oven

Are you proofing your yeast? Make sure the water isn't too hot or you're killing it.

Are you using too much flour? Remember when you're kneading you're adding in. If you find yourself using a LOT during kneading you might want to back off a bit in the actual recipe to account for that.

Are you kneading enough? Like ten minutes of solid working the dough?

Are you letting it rise enough? Maybe an hour each rise?

I'm pretty new at this but I've found these variables are pretty easy to mess up. Let me know if I'm mistaken though!

>Are you kneading enough? Like ten minutes of solid working the dough?

This. Holy shit I never kneaded my dough enough. Then I saw my gf turboknead until th dough was this awesome uniform off-white elastic mass of awesome that wasn't sticky nor dry. I can only knead about 1/4 that speed but it makes a huge difference because before I'd knead it for like a minute and call it good.

awwwwww
this is the cutest shit i've ever seen

this is cute too. turbokneading gf

>Are you letting it rise enough? Maybe an hour each rise?
this might be the issue for me, i will try letting it rise longer, for example 1 hour,t hen kneading a bit again, then another hour.

should i let it rise in a sealed container? i usually just put it in a bowl with a towel on top, but i have seen people seal it with plastic wrap

Some doughs you don't need to knead a second time, but as for rise times I usually shoot for an hour each (altho it depends on the bread, some I've let rise for 5+ hours).

I do the damp towel but my sis, who also does bread, says sometimes she just leaves it out. I did one recipe that called for plastic wrap and it didn't make a difference. Don't think it really matters. Maybe make sure the room is a little warm (but again follow the recipe, I made a Jamaican Coco bread that called for warmer rising, left this one on top of a preheated oven).

Yeah you can really go at it. One tip I got was that if you're hand kneading you really can only UNDER do it, not over, so go nuts. Eventually you'll recognize the texture of finished dough. I usually put on a video and do 10 straight minutes (of crappy slow kneading).

The real reason you keep it covered is just to keep the outside from drying out. I just brush some moisture on the surface and if I leave it somewhere with no convection (like my oven) it turns out fine. The problem with plastic wrap is that it has a tendency to stick.

Made this morning, my 10th attempt at baking my own bread: 100% wheat loaf for this week's sandwiches. Came out OK.

Looks good for an all whole wheat. I like to toast denser breads like that. Seems to lighten them up a bit.

Anyone have any advice on making bread in a skillet?

I'm gonna try a basic bread recipe and just put it in a skillet and see how it goes.

Wish me luck.

No advice bc I've never done it but post pics when you do! Good luck.

Carrot cakes! With raisins and pecans inside. Used drained crushed pineapple in the mix too, this is the second time I've used it and I'm really liking it as a baking tool. Took a 9x13 cake and cut it into two layers to make a layered cake with the cream cheese frosting. Still really new at cutting a cake in half this way, anyone got any tips? Should I freeze the cake before I cut it? I feel like I should've frozen it wrapped before I frosted it, the inside layer got a little crumbly to work with.

Do you mean like cooking it over the burner? Or like a castiron skillet in the oven?

>fucking up a recipe a 4 year old could do
if theres any reason to kill yourself this is it

just kidding dont kill yourself

Fuck me I love carrot cake.

pineapple in carrotcakes is cheating, but it does taste good.

I prefer a more pure carrot experience personally. Also try using currants soaked in booze of your choice instead of raisins, it will blow you away.

cast iron in an oven.

I made a no knead recipe with
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups bread flour
1 tbsp olive oil
1tbsp honey
1 1/2 tsp instant yeast
1 1/2 tsp coarse salt
and I threw in some cinnamon and rolled the dough in oats.

It'll be done at 9:40 est!

Im excited

Carrot cake is only good because of the cream cheese icing.

That one user a few days ago had a great looking no knead loaf. The crumb looked incredible. Good luck with it.

So, how was it? or do you mean tomorrow morning?

Aw, is it cheating? I made a banana cake last week with pineapple too, I love it.

Your recommendation fits in perfectly with my next carrot cake idea--shooting more towards a spice cake. I made a Jamaican white sweet potato pudding earlier this year (pic related) that had mixed spice, allspice, cloves, and raisins soaked in dark rum. Probably easy enough to translate those same spices to a carrot cake?

Do you think a standard cream cheese frosting would go good on a spice cake or should I modify that as well (or remove it altogether)? Opinions welcome.

late to this, but looks wonderful

Potato quality crumb shot

Hello sexy
Do you have the recipe?

No frosting on spice cake!! Cinnamon confectioner sugar on top maybe or cocoa powder

What's the size of the pan you used?

If I don't have enough pans to bake all the bread at once, do I portion and refrigerate after the dough comes together or after the first rise? It'd kind of suck to have to wait till the first batch comes out of the oven and then 2 more hours of proofing for the second batch so really maybe I ought to just buy another loaf pan but maybe I can also just bake the dough a couple days later?

This is for white bread

N-no bully

Cake
4 eggs
1 1/4c oil
1c sugar, white
1c sugar, brown packed
1tbsp vanilla
2c flour, all-purpose
2tsp baking soda
2tsp baking powder
1/2tsp salt
1tbsp cinnamon
1/4tsp nutmeg
3c grated carrots
1c crushed pineapple, drained
1c chopped pecans, toasted
Frosting
1c butter, softened
16oz cream cheese, softened
4c confectioner's sugar
2tsp vanilla
1/4tsp salt
1c pecans, chopped toasted

Beat eggs, oil, sugars, and vanilla. Mix in flour, baking soda+powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon. Stir in carrots and pineapple. Fold in pecans. Pour into 9x13 pan and bake 40-50 minutes (I did about 48) at 350 until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan 10min then remove to cool completely.

Frosting: Throw all ingredients into your stand mixer and paddle it up for a bit until it's smooth and creamy. Frost the cooled cake and top with the other cup of pecans.

Totally forgot to add I threw in whatever raisins I had left, which was about 1c. Probably would've preferred golden but I was using up my regular ones. Totally optional, I just love raisins.

What's not to like? Crumb shot?

I can't stop forgetting things. I did cut the cake in half horizontally to make a double layered cake--this is why I doubled up the frosting (original recipe calls for half of what I put). If you don't do the layer cake you probably don't need the extra, but imo it's WAY better with some in the middle.

looks incredible. recipe?