"Why do I have to learn math when I'm never going to use it in real life?"

"Why do I have to learn math when I'm never going to use it in real life?"

Why do you say?

Other urls found in this thread:

maa.org/external_archive/devlin/LockhartsLament.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because you are always going to do shit you don't like no matter what you choose so you need to learn to shut up and do the work. Also, there are really few jobs that don't have or aren't improved by math.

>say
>Not just beating her
Children need to learn to be seen but not heard.

To help you grow up into something more than a complete brainlet. Americans are already among the worst ranked in math among first world nations, you should at least make an effort so people don't confuse you with a third world nation.

pls user, I hate math, please don't make take Algebra one at the age of 7.

>Why do I have to learn math when I'm never going to use it in real life?

So that you know which things to tell a computer to have it math for you.

>not mastering everything by the age of 6

KHAN AKHADEMY

KHAN AKHADEMY

You don't need to do art in real life. Why are you doing art?

When people say this, I always explain that math isn't just numbers and memorizing equations. It's about developing logic and problem solving.

If they still hate math, I make a new friend.

I dont have any friends

Because I haven't heard of a school to this day that really deals with proper mathenatical problems and just teach to memorize.

Thats because logic and problem solving is too general.

Memorizing equations can be directly applied to something, effectively turning people into drones (useful drones).

General problem solving is emphasized in courses such as discrete maths, mathematical reasoning, proofs, and even abstract algebra and combinatorics.

Not really, I had those sort of problems in ny calc classes, but it was till uni. My only source of challenging problems came from being an autodidact.

Math is the language of the universe. Allows you to attain a deeper understanding of the world around you. You can survive without it, in the same way you can survive in a foreign country where you can't speak the language.

You consider calculating tangent lines or areas general problem solving?

Thats why you teach it to your kids yourself, although its unfortunate schools don't, it makes things like STEP exams near impossible for people who haven't gotten outside tuition prior

>everyone took the same shitty american calc course as me

>You can survive without it, in the same way you can survive in a foreign country where you can't speak the language.
Yeah not being able to solve that triple integral is definitely going to inconvenience me as much as suddenly finding myself in fucking China where I don't understand jackshit.
Fucking retard.

>having kids

In the same way != exactly the same situation you absolute fucking brlt

I tested out of uni calc so I wouldn't know

Plus, I'm arguing how you define problem solving.

I asked if you considered calculus general problem solving, and instead of answering you channeled your inner toddler

Why not give an example of "those sort of problems" from your calc class?

If you're solving a problem, you are problem solving. The transferable critical thinking skills you gain from solving said problem range, so for example doing a menial integral by plugging in what it says on the formula sheet will not help you very much, but solving one through a clever substitution or reduction formula would.

Given that most people survive just fine on nothing more than highschool math or worse, that doesn't help your case.
Think before you post, dumb fuck. And no, don't even try to pull that arithmetic and basic algebra gives you "a deeper understanding of the world around you".

I wasn't making a case, I was refuting your false equivilancy, brainlet
Stop posting, NOW

Depends on which calc obviously, but in general we were asked to prove a lot of shit, and yea they were proper proofs with proper logical deductions, methods and derivations. That obviously requires problem solving skills as there are no general methods to prove something, but I doubt you also didn't model shit in calc 2.

I do want to sleep but I'm afraid you'll keep being a rampant retard. Try to tone it down a bit.

Do you think calculus, the most applied field, is the best at developing problem solving abilities? Deduction? Logic?

Yes. Anything requiring changing rate of change uses calculus formalism. Even if you never calculate a tangent in your life it's about as useful framework for understanding stuff. Just knowing about optimization problems helps clear a lot of common misunderstandings. In fact I'm pretty surprised you chose something with so many applications, there are few that are so massively useful.

>calls him a retard every post
>keeps saying horrendously dumb shit just for the sake of trying to be right
noone wants you here, go

No, I never said I did, I just answered your question

Didn't imply, just asking you another question to clarify.
We agree anyway.

Oh I used calculus as an example for that purpose, how useful it can be. I'm not interested in how useful a specific tool (field of math) is though. Just problem solving.

I find that courses in proofs alone, or even a logic course from the philosophy department are more beneficial for developing problem solving at a global scale than calculusI&II.

If you are gonna be an engineer, shut the fuck up

just teach the kid physics, they don't need much calculus for an intro to mechanics and heat course, they'll probably be more happy knowing that they can calculate how fast they need to chunk a rock to crack a skull of the arc path for it.

>heat
Yeah you're right brah they'll never need calc to study "heat", that's cave man shit am I right lololol

>yeah, you'll never use this shit in real life because you're a brainlet. since you're happy being a brainlet, there's no point in you learning it

Housewives need to learn how to measure ingredients and convert units.

2 weeks tops for a kid

"You are right about everything you just said, sweetie. Sadly we can't do much about this flawed education system that foces ""math"" down your throat instead of actually teaching you mathematics"

maa.org/external_archive/devlin/LockhartsLament.pdf

>maa.org/external_archive/devlin/LockhartsLament.pdf
How is freshman year going?

are you gonna even be useful in real life anyways? math develops critical thinking and increases your logic alot

because shes likes it
she does not like math

>math develops critical thinking and increases your logic alot

Nope.

When will this meme end?

Why is the thought of something not being ''useful'' is so frightening to everybody?

Math does not necessarily have to be useful, and thats OK!

thats correct but why do we force our children to learn it then?

>why do we force our children to learn it then?

The cog needs to keep moving. The educational system is there to form the workforce of tomorrow so this "applied math" that we teach them will continue indefinitely, perhaps.

Apparently to some people what this does is teach them "critical thinking" and "logic". But, lets get real here, thats just bullshit.

Teaching a child to memorize a formula and then apply it a dozen times on exercises that are made for that same purpose wont do that.

Can I have a number nine medium with no pickles please?

This applies to ALL other subjects exactly the same.

Why should I learn about literature when I'm never going to use it in real life?
Why should I learn about physics when I'm never going to use it in real life?
Why should I learn about history when I'm never going to use it in real life?
Why should I learn about geography when I'm never going to use it in real life?

The answer is always the same. To make you a competent adult who is able to freely choose a career and not be limited by what was though to him in school.

I think that should be VERY obvious if you think about it for more then a second.

It turns out it's really hard to teach a man how to fish if they just want a free meal.

He is right though, you're just making baseless claims

What claim was I making?
I didnt write , I wrote and onwards

suck my cock and don't tell your parents

typical Veeky Forums response would be :
>Dumb people don't use math. Smart people use math. Dumb people deserve to die & should kill themselves.

Be a genius mathematician/scientist/engineer was my childhood dream.

Math always was my favorite subject. Followed by Physics, Chemistry, Biology & Geology.

I could not imagine myself as child saying that "Math is useless".

I feel angry to the people who says that "Math is useless"

By Math we created all technology that surround us from the Tech Gadgets to the man on Moon.

But I really don't know what to tell to a child to change its opinions.

Discussing It with Dumb Adults (Liberal Arts / Layman) is also annoying.

I tell her she has to learn math if she doesn't want to be molested *unzips pants*.

What happens if She prefers to be molester rather than study math?

>take her to Harlem
>show her the worst dindus I can find
>when she stops shivering from the emotional trauma of seeing literal unglorified subhumans, say "they think math is useless too. Want to end up like them?"

"Because you must always do shit you never use ever in your life. Do you want to have a job later? Yeah, 99% of the time you do unnecessary stuff where you have no interest in. That's called "Life" sweetheart"

What happens if she want to be like these Harlem Dindus & Sluts, instead of study

math is really a shit, fuck this board

Are you a genius mathematician/scientist/engineer now?

"Why do I have to live when I never wanted to be born?"

>I think that should be VERY obvious if you think about it for more then a second.
You ask to much.

Hanging around after our daily global warming thread are we?

>I'm never going to use it
>bcoz I can't

this is called "self-fulfilling prophesy" for good reason