What math do you actually need to teach at a high-school level?

What math do you actually need to teach at a high-school level?

Read one of those dumbed down versions of Euclid's elements

Then read it again to make sure you get it

now you can teach geometry.

You need at least real analysis. Even if you don't teach calculus, you need to understand math as more than just "memorize these things".

Think about the rick and morty episode with the nested microverses. Each succession is less advanced than the previous. That's what happens to us as a society if we imitate rather than understand.

This is true if the student has higher goals for math. My high school wasn't shit tier, so it offered calculus AB and BC, which are analogous to calc I and II, junior and senior year. For AB, my math teacher didn't have a super deep understanding of math, but was a great teacher, so I thought I was learning a lot. I still did fine in the class and on the AP exam. In BC, I didn't really like the teacher at the time, because his lessons weren't as easy to understand. However he taught me how to think about math, and in college I see now why he taught things that way.
However for the average high school student who has no higher math aspirations and will not learn anything past trig, you don't need to know very much.

This. To achieve a goal in learning, you have to push past it. To truly understand something, you must have seen it in the context of something more advanced. If math ed majors didn't have to take analysis or abstract algebra, they wouldn't be able to properly explain things like what an irrational number is, or why you can't divide by zero.

I think this is overly idealistic. I would say it's enough to have taken a few classes ahead of whatever you're teaching. If you'll never teach calculus in your life, and you've taken calculus plus maybe a few more math classes (easier than real analysis), that's enough.

I mean it would be great if every high school math teacher had a phd in math, but it's not going to happen. The problem with having "high standards" here is that it just results in watered down bullshit real analysis classes and all the real math majors end up hating the education majors for dumbing down every class they're in together.

Realistically, something big would need to change in order to get people to major in math education who are actually capable of passing a non-dumbed down real analysis class. Until then, requiring them to take it is just going to result in dumbing the class down so they can pass it.

In america, A full understanding of calculus will easily land you a job.

The speed limit is 20

...sweeping floors.

>mfw people actually believe this
>mfw my ADC taught algebra for 10 years and did not know anything about algebra or anything higher
user, you really grossly overestimate the skills of people who teach. All you need is a bachelors degree to teach high school mathematics, it literally does not matter if that degree is in English, Math, Biology, or anything. The school system simply does not give a single shit because the teachers assign fabricated handouts and grade them, that is it my friend. I am quite convinced that you could get into the education system with an AA degree

2x=(320/8)
2x=40
x=20
The speed limit is 20. Literally 8th grade math. Kys

I think just English right? If you can read the book then you good.

Thanks for letting us know you could solve an equation that the rest of us solved in literally 3 seconds

pretty low. All you need is pre-cal or cal 1 to teach math. The ceiling is pretty low. My math class were taught by pe teachers who only got up to pre-cal. I really doubt they cared about math if that only got that far. They just cared about having a job.

Anyways, I doubt mind the ceiling being so low for high-school maths. Let's face it, if the ceiling were any higher, we would not be able to recruit any math teachers whatsoever if the requirements with a 4 year degree or even an associates.

My school has analysis and algebra for math and physics majors and a version for everyone else. Easy fix.

I guess that avoids dumbing it down, but still, what's the point? make high school math teachers take a dummy version of analysis so we can claim they have a deep understanding of math when they don't?

school speed limits are 25 though

retard

>can't do high school math

It's very obvious to everyone that you're the retard here, retard.

mathEd majors at my uni only need 1-2 "3rd year" level courses and it's possible to pick a couple that are almost complete jokes. i would imagine elsewhere that it is feasible to land a high school teaching job with even less knowledge.

if this isn't bait, you're legitimately braindead

At what point in the OP was a question addressed to the picture posted?
Mongoloid

\thread

2x=(320/8)
x=(160/4)
x=40

t. 85 IQ

clearly you're just jealous that you could not solve the problem yourself.

keep studying, maybe some day you will be as smart as us. not likely

t. 130 IQ

t. 95 IQ