Is there anything more autistic than using LaTeX in >current year given the typesetting capability even found on phones?

Is there anything more autistic than using LaTeX in >current year given the typesetting capability even found on phones?

there's nothing else good at writing math

Maybe, but math academics tend to use Latex to write more than just formulas as if to say, "hurr durr look at me I am le math man"

The fonts are shit, they look like they should be in a Tim Burton movie.

>typesetting
>phones
laffo

[math]\text{Shitting on computer modern}[/math]

>computer modern
wew lad

Latin Math Modern has been out for a while

I'm sorry you are either too poor or too incapable to afford and/or use the appropriate apps, but a smartphone can do anything a computer could just a few years back.

If you already know LaTex for math, then why would you want to download and learn to use yet another application for something you can already do perfectly?.
Phones manufacturers can reinvent a wheel done decades ago all they want, and put on top crap proprietary restrictions, I'll keep using something that works already thank you very much.

>the appropriate apps
Please tell me these apps that can offer the range, flexibility and ease as Latex. Also are there any free off-line latex distributions?

Alright op, continue typesetting using your phone, I will continue using LaTeX. We will see whose documents come out looking less autistic

>Also are there any free off-line latex distributions?

Since when did people pay for latex?

This is new to me...

I'm pretty certain that all the off-line mobile distributions aren't free. At least they weren't last time I checked (which was admittedly a while ago).

>anything too complicated for me is autistic

you mean like an app for a phone?

who the fuck can write a paper on an 3x4" screen?

God damn I am old, I guess. I still use a laptop with linux...

I pay because I use Overleaf

I should just figure out how to have some server I can keep all my docs on and remotely access, but Overleaf is cheap enough that I don't care

ya, or you could have your docs on a "harddrive", with an external drive backup if you're worried...

holy fuck am I overthinking this??

Don't want to carry one between my lab and my house so not an option

my PI pays for the lab to use it so i dont care

you're not worrying about the quality of your writing on a touch screen 3x5" display I guess?

These stupid little Veeky Forums boxes fuck my writing up constantly.

Also, please tell me that something I write today still renders correctly 20 years from now with another machine and a different application

oh no, I just have a stationary computer at the lab that I work at and then also computers at home, I don't write on my phone

for the sake of having a traceable revision history and collaborating on papers having some cloud system is better

>>
Dropbox

>fonts are shit
What is fontspec

Also, with latex you are given extreme typographic freedom. You can do whatever you want and most of the time it'll look pretty.

Imo Latin Modern is alright for math, maybe even good (if you change the horrible integral symbol) but CMU not good as a font. Which brings us to the first point. Fontspec.

I enjoy using Latex, even for none mathematical writing just because it does all of the formatting for me, shit that I just absolutely despise doing.

>more autistic than using LaTeX
Yes, that would be *not* using LaTeX.

This desu

You have to pretty fucking autistic to spend the hours it takes to make formulas in Word or whatever

>liking the second worst font in the world

Any article not made with [math]\LaTeX[/math] is unreadable, if there is any formulas.

>not using arial

Why is cambrial the default on everything now

It's the default in word for a few years now

People like OP get laughed at. I just imagine,
>lol this guy sent his CV in a .docx

OP why waste your time formatting things in a wysiwy

Maybe someone made OP use latex and hes just bitching, it's very difficult to use latex

enjoy having everything you write look like a first year undergrads work

Why are you so upset that you can't use it? Have you ever tried? It's very easy. Next time you want to make a shitposting thread like this you should instead spend some time learning how to use LaTeX. Personally, I like texmaker.

>given the typesetting capability even found on phones?
What do phones have to do with that?
Do you want to write a document on a phone? Are you insane?

What even is a good alternative to latex? Word and co. are absolute shit for mathematics and science what else is there?

>but math academics tend to use Latex to write more than just formulas
Of course they do. Do you want them to copy past screenshot of their formulas into their word documents?
It should be obvious that if you are doing math you are using a software that is good at creating mathematics in documents.

>The fonts are shit, they look like they should be in a Tim Burton movie.
You can change the fonts, retard.

>Do you want to write a document on a phone? Are you insane?
No, I don't want to write anything on my phone. I could though. Latex came about in a time when most computers couldn't render anything remotely WYSIWYG.

LaTeX is superior to Word. If Word is your benchmark for what makes good typesetting, you need to withdraw from this conversation.

But just because LaTeX is superior to Word does not make it hard.

Word is one of the worst programs still in wide use. OpenOffice, LibreOffice, FrameMaker, Adobe InDesign, even Apple Pages is vastly superior. Google Docs is superior.

>You have to pretty fucking autistic to spend the hours it takes to make formulas in Word or whatever
Yes what kind of math or science person would want to learn something new.
How is that project in COBOL going? Is your slide rule still covered in cheeto?

> Do you want them to copy past screenshot of their formulas into their word documents?

There are many articles written by math types without any complicated formulas or any at all that still use LaTeX as a group-inclusion identifier: look at me, I am >le serious math person.

>You can change the fonts, retard.
Wow, it's a 1984-era feature. It's amazingly rare how often people do.

[math]\sf \color{orange}{being\; salty\; cause\; you\; newfag\; can't\; orangetext

[math]What\;are\;you\;talking\;about?\;It\;only\;took\;me\;20\;minutes\;to\;type\;this\;up[/math]

[math] \LaTeX [/math] is so far beyond any other typesetting/word processing application due to the dizzying array of packages and quality that there is nothing even comparable, least of all MS Word

>Yes what kind of math or science person would want to learn something new.
Everyone. If something better existed.
Latex is the ONLY software that has the necessary features, are you surprised people use the ONLY software that does what they want.

>How is that project in COBOL going? Is your slide rule still covered in cheeto?
Nice meme. C is still widely used in Kernels and still decades old. If something is ONLY thing to do a certain job you can't expect people to use something else.

>There are many articles written by math types without any complicated formulas
Show me a math article that does not require either, subscript, superscripts, set notation or Arrows.

>Wow, it's a 1984-era feature. It's amazingly rare how often people do.
Lets recap:
You (without any clue what you are talking about):I think the latex font is shit.
I:You can change it.
You (without any clue what you are talking about): WOW LATEX HAS AN EXPECTED FEATURE , THAT ALL OTHER PROGRAMS HAVE (but I have no clue about latex so I didn't know that) IS THIS 1984????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

You are seriously retarded, there is no software that could replace latex. Even for the most basic mathematical paper.
Yes, it is old, Yes it has problems BUT it is the ONLY software to make writing mathematics (Yes even the most basic mathematics) on a computer possible and in some way usable.

>OpenOffice, LibreOffice, FrameMaker, Adobe InDesign, even Apple Pages
In what way to they even differ? And in what way to they allow creating mathematical formulas?

>Word is one of the worst programs still in wide use. OpenOffice, LibreOffice, FrameMaker, Adobe InDesign, even Apple Pages is vastly superior. Google Docs is superior.

Because i work in corporate america where microsoft office is standard. You can have your hobby games, but I work in pharma.

I had computer modern set as the font on my phone for a little while

You're all literal brainlets for not using Tex directly. It's far more powerful.

>tfw you'll never be a professor emeritus at Stanford

EVERYBODY has to have an opinion about fonts

I say fuck you, it isn't about the font

learn english

>write manuscript
>want to submit
>venue calls for specific style

With LaTeX:
>use bibtex for citations, standard /section for paper outline, tabular/figures for figures, etc
>apply .cls supplied by venue
>everything works, looks nice
>citations all done in style
>want to submit to another venue or use another template
>apply different .cls
>everything works

Without LaTeX:
>type manuscript into msword
>try to match venue format
>no one at the venue uses word, so the template is three years out of date
>manually formatting all of my formulas
>try to insert image/figure
>text jumps halfway down the next page
>add a new reference, all of my IEEE or other indexing type citations are off by one
>replace each citation
>finally done
>get notes from reviewer
>"explain figure x more please"
>add some text to caption
>caption line-wraps
>sends figure three pages up and overlapping the margin
>try to change template for whatever reason
>have to start all over again

Actually, it's the other way around. It's more autistic to typeset in WYSIWYG programs since you have to micromanage the formatting as you type the document. You don't have to worry as much about that shit in LaTeX.

computer modenr is a garbage font

LaTeX is honestly kind of garbage. It's the best garbage available but it's still garbage. LaTeX itself is a hack of TeX to make TeX usable, and nobody even uses plain LaTeX anymore, they use LuaLaTeX or XeLaTex, further extensions to a garbage system.

I sincerely hope that someone will develop a modern replacement to *TeX because the near-fifty-year-old cruft in the ecosystem is just becoming more untenable by the day.

now that I think about it, fonts have a lot in common with buttholes

-they come in all different flavors
-only faggots like them

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about

"even" found.

For those of you too autistic or retarded to understand English this doesn't mean you should do so.

>making things more readable is gay

Heresy! It is very comfy.

And so is semi bold Courier.

Honestly, whenever I see a document written in anything other than LaTeX, I stop reading immediately because it's obviously written by a brainlet.

And I should add that this goes for anything really, not just papers. If the study guide of a course is written in Word instead of LaTeX you can tell right away that it's going to be a terribly organized trash course. If the first slide of a presentation looks like it was made in PowerPoint instead of LaTeX you can be certain the presentation is going to be shit before they even said a single word.

> If the first slide of a presentation looks like it was made in PowerPoint instead of LaTeX
To say the truth, I use LaTeX regularly, but I don't know if it's the best format for a presentation. A slide is something highly visual and PowerPoint or Keynote may benefit from being WYSIWYG.
I admit that I must still learn beamer, but I don't know if even after learning it I won't use Keynote.

I started learning latex recently because Word was failing to do what I wanted to do.
I'm just writing my resume; it doesn't include complex maths or other symbols, I just wanted it to look neat and uniform.

You and me brother
10 year old laptop with 1GB RAM

Lying's bad for the mind.

>[math]Learn t_{e}x solely to post on Veeky Forums[/math]
Don't be a sheep.

Professional editor here. OP's question could only be formulated by someone with absolutely no experience in writing, editing or publishing. Thread=irrelevant.

I use latex even for ordinary stuff like writing letters sometimes. idk, I'm just used to it and I know how to manipulate everything I want to. It probably is autistic but I'm a mathematician so I'm autistic. Suck my dick.

>2017
>not using notepad for everything

Stay pleb plebs.

>not using shit-tier notepad for everything
fgt pls