So Veeky Forums, whats your main criticisement of Elons Boring Company?

So Veeky Forums, whats your main criticisement of Elons Boring Company?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=u5V_VzRrSBI
youtube.com/watch?v=JQOn_MtqOjI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

it's not very interesting

its boring

its not boring enough

literal meme company

wish he would spice it up a bit

So is that a real thing?

youtube.com/watch?v=u5V_VzRrSBI
youtube.com/watch?v=JQOn_MtqOjI

Why do you have to dig tunnels underground to do this? Couldn't you get the same results with driverless cars above ground or just better infrastructure and public transit? What about all the sewage, gas lines, and subway tunnels?

>Why do you have to dig tunnels underground to do this? Couldn't you get the same results with driverless cars above ground or just better infrastructure and public transit?
because there's no room to build that shit in LA

Also, what happens if one of the carts brakes or slows down due to a malfunction at 125 mph? How do you ventilate the tunnels?

With driverless cars you wouldn't need to build much terms of roads and a decrease in human error would maybe lead to less traffic. Incentivising and modernizing public transit wouldn't need much as well in comparison to digging tunnels everywhere.

This whole idea reeks of coming up with an overly complex and costly solution to a problem that could be solved with a relatively simpler and less costly solution. Hell, using eminent domain and building new roads would probably be cheaper than this.

I guess not all materials are suited to bore in.

?
3d traffic solutions are a multiplier you can't do by just "use roads more efficiently"

>>ventilate tunnels
less ventilation is required because it's electric cars only
>>what happens if one of the carts brakes or slows down due to a malfunction at 125 mph?
that's why you engineer failsafes into the system.

it's like three full time employees and some interns.

I think Elon musk is using the car sled concept as a cover for the real reason he's investing in boring technology . I think he realises that with the threat of terrorism and earth quakes around the US(being underground is actually safer), the only way to build a viable hyperloop is to build it underground. The boring machines he is using are the right size for the hyperloop tubes.

>With driverless cars you wouldn't need to build much terms of roads and a decrease in human error would maybe lead to less traffic.

No. It would increase traffic because people who didn't have someone to drive them before now have access to that luxury. Roads would need to be larger to handle the increased amount of traffic.

What you need to do in order to reduce both is to have more bulk public transportation. Like trains and buses.

I think the same, but instead of the hyperloop, he is doing it for his mars city.

Tunnel boring machines are expensive and are slower than fucking snails.
He's gonna need to improve that by a shitton if he wants to make that work.

I still believe public transport is the solution. He should just stick his resources in Tesla, make some driverless busses

>now have access to that luxury
This is what happened to China. Hundreds of millions of Chinese people could suddenly afford cars congesting the Chinese road infrastructure.
Made me wonder if they talked about this when Elon went to talk with the Chinese VP.

another scam like paypal

Funny, Since I thought his hyperloop idea was secretly a way to create the technology for mass drivers that could one day be used on the moon.

>Couldn't you get the same results with driverless cars above ground
No. The whole point is that it's not on a road.

>or just better infrastructure and public transit?
This is "better infastructure and public transit".

>What about all the sewage, gas lines, and subway tunnels?
Far easier to route crossing pipes and tunnels in 3d. You just go deeper.

Anyway, the proposed application isn't the main show, which is simply dramatic improvements in tunnelling tech, which can be used for all sorts of things. Musk's modus operandi is to paint a vivid picture with a clear, immediately understandable, interesting (if slightly silly) use case, and then use the enthusiasm to get over the hump of impracticality to reach technology of diverse application.

It's like religion: you talk about spooks and fantasies to get children, the unsophisticated, and those who want to believe onboard, then you use that influence to pursue serious goals and values. Musk is a technology prophet. He gets people worked up for dumb reasons to do useful things. He's an antidote to the confusion of pessimism for realism, the misidentification of cynicism as sophistication.

SpaceX isn't about Mars, it's about cheaper rockets. Tesla isn't about fancy cars or global warming, it's about lowering energy costs and increasing supply. Hyperloop and the Boring Company are about making big tubes that route around existing infrastructure cheaply. You can't just present them as that, though, it's dull to most, and at the same time, it's threatening to many established business and government interests. You want to explain it so enough of the investors, employees, and public to be enthusiastic and the competition to be dismissive.

Elon Musk is a master of that.

Boring tunnels in earthquake country is foolish.

It's Boring

It's the dumbest thing I think I've seen proposed. Elon Musk is definitive proof that you don't need to be intelligent, or even sensible, to become a billionaire.

>using cutting heads instead of water jets
PLEB
L
E
B

Except he is also sometimes fundamentally wrong about things. Colonizing Mars for example. He just assumes there are millions of people who want to live on Mars. He thinks you just need the tech to go there, and then a huge migration will start like after the discovery of the Americas. That is just flat wrong. Going to Mars is dangerous and uncomfortable as fuck and living there even much more so. Going to Mars will be more like climbing the Mount Everest, a small number of very adventurous people will go there for there sake of being there, but close to no one would want to live there.

Why buses? Seems the benefits of "driverless," if they materialize, would be much greater in cars than in buses.

>wasting water on Mars

nu

Yo dawg I heard you like driving, so I put your car on a car so you can drive while you drive.

Because peak hours. Everyone will still want to drive his car at the same hour. But if you have taxi/uber-like services that become so cheap it can be used for daily commute, people who commute by bus or bicycle might consider switching.

The total amount of people who own cars might drop, but the actual traffic might increase.

>He still thinks Musk is going to Mars
>He still thinks everything Musk does is actually all part of a secret plan for Mars colonization
Kek. Seriously though, Musketeers need to leave.

It's actually safer to be underground than on the surface during an earthquake.

>To drive down the cost of tunneling, the company is looking to reduce the diameter of the hole. Hence the one-lane, high-speed system rather than boring a much wider tunnel to handle multiple lanes of freeway traffic. Musk’s company also hopes to triple the power output of tunnel boring machines and create machines that can run continuously using automation.
>But what about earthquakes, you say?

>“From a structural safety standpoint, the tunnel moves uniformly with the ground, in contrast to surface structures,” the FAQ claims. ”Tunnels, when designed properly, are known to be one of the safest places to be during an earthquake.”

It's really impossible to hate this man though. Unless you spend your life savings betting against him.

>using cutting heads instead of water jets

>everything Musk does is actually all part of a secret plan for Mars colonization

I think He is testing drilling technology that can be used to drill tunnels & undergrounds facilities on mars. Otherwise would be a waste of time.

However I also think that it may be dumb idea. One Earthquake in California could kill everyone inside that Tunnel.

Mars hasn't Earthquakes.

Is that the car on a track stupidity? It's a terrible idea, he has the chance to build a proper functioning metro for millions, but instead will build something that will only have a fraction of the capacity.

>I think He is testing drilling technology that can be used to drill tunnels & undergrounds facilities on mars.
But he isn't. He's expressed intention is to build tunnels to reduce congestion. Also is the composition of the ground in LA similar to the composition to ground on Mars?

I don't hate the man, I think he's starting to think too much of himself but I don't really hold that against him. I hate people like user above.

>>Musk's modus operandi is to paint a vivid picture with a clear, immediately understandable, interesting (if slightly silly) use case, and then use the enthusiasm to get over the hump of impracticality to reach technology of diverse application.
>>SpaceX isn't about Mars, it's about cheaper rockets.
>Except he is also sometimes fundamentally wrong about things. Colonizing Mars for example. He just assumes there are millions of people who want to live on Mars.
Holy shit, you still don't get it.

Colonizing Mars is that vivid picture with a balance of interesting, understandable, and silly I was talking about. SpaceX is not about colonizing Mars. It's about building giant, fully-reusable rockets that work like airliners and making spaceflight literally a thousand times cheaper than it was before SpaceX.

Nobody can predict what that will change about the world, just like nobody could predict what electronic computers would change.

Focusing on the simple vision of colonizing Mars makes it both exciting to enough people to get the support to do it and non-threatening or dismissable to enough people to prevent it being politically forbidden.

Are you joking?
The best part about this plan is that it will utterly demolish the public transit shills.

LA, San Francisco, well cities west of the mississippi in general suffer from poor city planning.

the solution to traffic. is to start setting aside land for future development into denser population centers. then you can walk/bike aroudn your home to get your errands done. then you take mass transit to get to work to travel to the next town over.

Japan manages to cram 120,000,000 people into the usable land area the size of louisiana.

>criticisement

>it will utterly demolish the public transit shills.
How would this not be public transit?

>SpaceX is not about colonizing Mars.
Wrong. Watch a few Musk interviews. Its abundantly clear that everything Musk has done is for the goal of getting to Mars.

He doesn't give a fuck about the money, relatively speaking.

It's in his interests to seem sincere about his stated purposes.

except its quite clear when hes being sincere or doing something for a laugh (eg. The Boring company)

asking elon musk's opinion on space travel is like asking bill gates opinion on black holes
people are starstruck

Except, of course, that Bill Gates has nothing to do with black holes, and Musk owns a successful rocket company

The great thing about what musk is proposing is that it can be used both as public transport and private transport. All you need to do is attach monorail pods on the sled platform, and build a small station at the end of a tunnel, and you've got yourself an alternative to the city train network. You can have bus networks near the exit.

successful in what way?

In pretty much all ways. In what way is it unsuccessful?

he is good with making money perhaps, and its a shame that's all you see

He has yet to make a real profit at Tesla or SpaceX.

>its quite clear when hes being sincere
Of course, you're magic. Nobody could ever fool you. Self-made billionaires are rarely skilled at deception.

Actually, making money is the one thing that will take longer for SpaceX to really show. Although so far for this year all predictions are that SpaceX will start to enter the green should there be no further rocket losses and a steady launch schedule.

How do you not see regular ISS resupplies, regular stage 1 landings, regular commercial satellite launches, as successful?

>Tesla
Cool irrelevant topic bro

Oh ok hes trolling

He has made an excellent, astounding profit for himself, and at the same time, has produced popular products with happy customers and built companies of loyal employees that attract top talent. As for the corporate entities' own profits, those are an abstraction of little relevance.

If you take money too seriously, you're getting led around on a leash by people who understand it better.

SpaceX/Google global satellite internet will be Elon Musks golden goose. Most of SpaceX revenue will be generated via launching all those rockets carrying thousands of internet satellites over the next 20 years, building those satellites, and selling internet to billions of people who dont have the luxury of having fibre internet. I doubt we will be going to Mars anytime soon, and Musk probably knows this.

What it seeks to accomplish is not pragmatic for the resources being dumped into it. Also it is not worker owned.

You say that like cities east of the mississippi are well planned or something. Most of the capital cities of the south are traffic nightmares. I lived in Raleigh for a few years and they funnel all their uptown commuter traffic through one four-lane city road with no curbs or shoulder that floods whenever they get more than ten inches of rain.

They bought some tunnel building equipment and now they are going to build tunnels with it. Woah. Innovative.

>coping with your comparatively meaningless life this hard

Thats the consequence of "diversity"
It's what these blue voting cities want

all the TBM's used today are built in europe and not the US. Elon is trying to change that.

I seriously doubt it would be useful on Mars. More useful for Luna, possibly, but still likely not.

Probably competitive cost wise in LA, where right of way costs to remove anything to make new roads is insane.

Depending on how low you go, it's always better for an earthquake to be in a tunnel like this. The waves only express themselves in looser dirt. It might seal off the tunnel, though.