Why does anyone drink lager when ales exist?

Why does anyone drink lager when ales exist?

That's MY bit of lager.

It's cheaper.

Cleaner fermentation giving more focus on the malt and hops, better control over attenuation, better clarification properties, less hangover

42 oz strong ass beer for $2.

How will ales ever compete?

>giving more focus on the malt and hops
Then how come most lagers barely have any traces of that. Big brand lagers anyway, garbage like Budweiser, Heineken or Corona

You're forgetting the godtier Pilsner Urquell when it's a fresh keg. That has a ruthlessly complex hopping schedule which is one reason it's so damn difficult to clone.

Like I care about the macropiss

Obviously the thread is about the macropiss that most people drink because it's what's advertised on TV

>using budweiser, shittiest beer ever made as an example

I like both.

How come beer that tastes great in one country tastes totally meh in another?

beer in america specifically tastes like shit because everything is made with garbage commodity corn

because they're brewed to be cheap and devoid of taste, unlike a nice pilsner

A reminder that if the drink suggests that it be served ice cold it is shit quality.

Budweiser is entirely too flavorless and inoffensive to be the shittiest ever made.
It's basically mineral water.

Heineken on the other hand is legit vile.

>most people drink because it's what's advertised on TV

The only people drinking macro pisswater any more are 50+ ignorant grandpas and uncles that lack a capacity for changing and whitetrash/nignogs that suck at the corporate feminized tasteless tit.

I agree. The one Heineken I had tasted like metallic alcohol. It wasn't even in a can.

I get a metallic taste when I drink from bottles a lot, I've gotten comped a 6er because I complained. I dont think its the beer. Heineken is probably my choice 'light' beer

As disgusting as Heineken is I've tasted far worse shit.

Just to wet the whistle?

Just to wet the whistle?

some "macropiss" is pretty good, if you're buying certain brands. Mainland European brands are sometimes quite nice. Superbock from Portugal, for example, is pretty satisfying.

Why drink beer at all when you can have actual alcohol.

Because unlike actual alcohol beer can taste good.

>better clarification properties
lol at implying that clarity is inherently good

>make first batch of homebrew beer
>dad says it looks muddy
>yeah so what, it tastes nice
>it should be more transparent and clear
>why
>beer has always been like that
Clearly beer with good clarification is more attractive to the eye for most people, which is good for sales

Its attractive to the eye of people who drink shitty lager, which is most people, but for most styles its not particularly desirable. The trend now is to make IPA as fucking cloudy as possible for instance

Yeah that's what I'm saying

Personally I don't give a shit if my beer looks cloudy. If anything it means it hasn't been filtered and watered down to death.

You do know that lagering is a process and not a style, right dipshit?

lager and ale are beers made from opposing processes

Lager is laggered, ale isn't, not opposing processes. You can use both styles of yeast with both processes and the same ingredients as well.

I wonder if ales were the standard and lagers you had to hunt for if I would like lagers more. They have a brightness to them that ales don't. The only reason I don't care is because even the good ones taste too much like Bud for it to be enjoyable.

They are opposing processes in that they are mutually exclusive

You cool during fermentation or you don't, that doesn't make it opposing

A lager is defined by lagering, not anything else. If someone pitches an ale yeast and then ferments at 50F for a month, it's a lager. Even the krauts agree and they're fucking autistic beyond the point of reason about their beer.

A beer cannot be both an ale and a lager. When you brew a beer you have to make that decision. How does this not make sense to you?

Jesus you're a fucking autist

Dude, thats literally what "opposing" means

Lager and ale use different yeast, that's it.

Lager yeast is cleaner if it's fermented much cooler, around 10 Celsius.

The word lager actually means "to store"

Lager normally needs around 3 months to "lager" after fermentation to get rid of off flavours and that is also why they don't really have much late hopping in the boil because it would fade by the time you drink it anyway. A pilsner is a lager with a truck load of hops.

Man I just chugged one of those on Friday. It's like liquid bread!

>A pilsner is a lager with a truck load of hops.
By 1800s commoner standards, by modern standards its pretty light hopping

Full on fucking wrong, you can make an ale with "lager" yeast (steam beer) or lager with "ale" yeast. Lager is a process of cold fermentation and storage, nothing to do with yeast (though S.pastorianus works better for lagering)

>less hangover
go fuck thine self

Guess what? Most ale ysasts will not ferment below 60F. If they do, it will be slow enough that the beer will be infiltrated by enemies.

But he's absolutely right. Lager has to undergo cold conditioning in order to be classified as such; even if you used lager yeast in warm-fermentation, it still doesn't count without that step.

Dude, you've been BTFO, give it up. Sure Steam Beer uses a lager yeast at 60-70F, but it's not a lager and has entirely different characteristics. Also, you ain't fucking fermenting an ale yeast at 50F. Go ahead and try it and waste $30.00 for malts, hops and yeast, idiot

You can cold ferment at 10C with ale yeast, so shut the fuck up retard.

>i can ferment an ale yeast at 10C

LMAO. What variety? Christ son, give it up.

Not that guy you're talking to but Nottingham ferments pretty cold.
I still wouldn't consider beer made with a top cropping yeast a lager though. It's just an ale fermented cold.

Do you vape?

On a hot day out in the sun a lager goes down pretty well.

There are ales that suit this situation just as well though.

Even if a beer undergoes primary fermentation at warm temperatures, if you lager it in secondary it is still a lager. Any beer that is conditioned by lagering is a lager, plain and simple. Altbier and Kölsch are top-fermented styles of beer but - in Germany, no less, the global urheimat of both beer and autism - they're legally lagers because they undergo a lagering process.

Steam Beer is its own category that is neither ale or lager

>Even if a beer undergoes primary fermentation at warm temperatures, if you lager it in secondary it is still a lager. Any beer that is conditioned by lagering is a lager, plain and simple.

Well, that simply violates all commonly established protocols for distinguishing between the 2 beer styles. I really don't know what else to say. Two yeasts: ale yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae and lager yeast the "bottom-fermenting" type, Saccharomyces uvarum. Case closed.

there gay

>You can make a lager without lagering it

Wew. You know that lager yeasts are fully capable of effecting fermentation at the same temperature as ale yeasts, right?

Don't like my beverages BLACKED

lol

This thread is like listening to a couple of clams, who don't like each other, talk about what color to paint the walls

Something tells me you don't even drink

steel reserve is OK for the first 3/4 of the can/bottle but the last 1/4 tastes like you're drinking metal filings

IPAs are a fucking meme

I used drink alot of microbrews. but now I just want an enjoyable and good drinking session.

You are right, Pilsner Urquell is godtier but you forgot the original Budweiser which is also really good.

>called steel reserve
>surprised when it contains a steel reserve

>tfw I unironically enjoy stouts over other brews

wrong again, its aleger

I think the crux of this autistic shitfit is the misuse of lager in English to mean the beer and yeast type rather than just a cold secondary. Defining yeast as obergärig or untergärig, top or bottom fermenting, makes far more sense.
t. fellow autist

nah, more like lager is a meme that we are just recovering from over the last 25 years

I love stouts

diffferent user here, but I actually didn't realize this till I looked into the California Common

I understand the slight tinny taste from the cap, but this was just metal. Like it was mixed into the beer. The only other beer that's happened to me with was the cheapest shitty Euro lager I could find

geg