Hey Veeky Forums first time on this board...

Hey Veeky Forums first time on this board, can yall post some good sources so that i may learn how to step uo my cooking game?

Honestly the best thing to do is just think of some food you like and look up a recipe online. Nothing beats experience

aka ja/ck/ general

google.com
duckduckgo.com
bing.com
startpage.com
yahoo.com

Try making a risotto. If you fail, quick cooking forever

literally impossible to fail at a risotto. you might make an inferior product, but youll still have made it. what a shitty choice

start with something basic like meatloaf, or a stew, or a stir fry. all of those involve recipes, preparation, various ingredients, cooking times. gives you a sense of how it all comes together without a lot of stuff going on.

Like i say first time at this board , thought you guys would have a sticky or some general go to website for cooking knowledge, can someone give me a run down on seasonings and spices to have im my rack?

If you need something to make a food, go get it from the store and you will probably have some left to make something else and you won't have to go get it that time

>can someone give me a run down on seasonings and spices to have im my rack?

Whichever seasonings you like, or find yourself using most often.

No point telling you to stock up on MSG, furikake and bonito flakes if you only cook Italian.

chicken boulion cubes, black pepper, curry powder, iodized salt, red pepper flakes, oregano, rosemary, thyme, basil, sugar.

those are the bare essentials that can be used to spice up existing foods or add a personal touch to something in a recipe you are making.

oh and minced garlic (chopped up finely and sold in glass jars with liquid) lasts forever.

Thanks mayne

Also what about some dishes that are relatively high on the dankness scale compared to the time it takes to prepare the.?

Whichever ones you need

We couldn't possibly have a sticky, because the spices people need are completely dependant on where they are, their culture, their tastes, and what's actually available. Most aspects of food are similar.

Good Eats with Alton Brown is pretty much THE go-to beginner's course on cooking

I mean
If dankness:time ratio is all that matters, then panfry a prime rib

Chicken beausejour is really simple for a beginner, and it isn't some fad-dish. Can't go wrong with it.

Is this fiction?

Fiction in what sense?

According to a cursory internet search, I could not find a dish called chicken beausejour.

Okay, I'll admit that it is more properly known as poulet sauté beauséjour, and that I call it chicken beausejour as a form of shorthand. So my bad, on that.

This particular version is aped from Pierre Franey and the 60-Minute Gourmet:

>1 chicken, 1 3/4 - 2 pounds, cut into serving pieces
>Salt to taste if desired
>Freshly ground pepper to taste
>3 tablespoons butter
>2 whole cloves garlic, unpeeled
>1 large bay leaf
>2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
>1/3 cup dry white wine
>1/3 cup water
>Buttered thin noodles, optional.

>1. Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt and pepper to taste. To facilitate cooking, make gash in underside (opposite the skin side) of each leg.

>2. Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in heavy skillet and add chicken pieces, skin side down. Do not add liver. Cook 5 to 7 minutes until golden brown and turn pieces. Add the garlic, bay leaf and thyme.

>3. Add liver and reduce heat. Cook over moderate heat, turning pieces so they cook evenly. Total cooking time at this point should be from 17 to 20 minutes.

>4. Remove chicken pieces to hot serving platter and add wine to skillet. Cook over high heat, stirring to dissolve brown particles that cling to pan. Cook until wine is reduced by half. Add water and boil briskly about 30 seconds.

>5. Swirl in remaining tablespoon butter and salt and pepper to taste.

>6. Spoon sauce over chicken and serve with buttered thin noodles. Yield: 4 servings.

You can make it easier by going for leg quarters if you don't feel up to working with a whole chicken, and you could also skip on the liver in step 3, if you're not a fan or are worried about your ability to prepare it. Overall though, I'd say this is a very simple dish to start out with, and the results are very pleasant for either a personal meal, a family dinner, or a nice and inexpensive dish to quickly throw together for a date at home.

You should only come to Veeky Forums if you already know how to cook. We have plenty of shit fast food and "how do I cook toast??!?!?" threads already.

Literally just go anywhere but here, youtube, reddit, your mother if she's decent at cooking, the food section of a library...