Which do you, in general prefer? Penguin Classics or Oxford Worlds Classics for classic literature and philosophy...

Which do you, in general prefer? Penguin Classics or Oxford Worlds Classics for classic literature and philosophy? I'd like to pick up Epictetus's Discourses but cannot decide which publisher to go with. But I'm also curious to know what you prefer regularly.

it pretty often just depends on the particular editions.

for example, penguin offers a three volume presentation of marx's capital while oxford only offers a single abridged volume encompassing all of the work.

translations, quality/length of scholarly introductions, and amount of notes all factor into it. you really cant go wrong with either though.

as for the physical editions themselves, i feel like oxford are better constructed and will likely survive multiple readings, more so than penguin.

1. Best Translations
2. Best supplementary material.

Usually Norton > Oxford > Modern Library > Penguin > Enriched Classics > Barnes & Noble Classics > Signet Classics/Vintage/Dover/Bantam > Wordsworth.

But it's extremely variable. For instance, the best version of Crime and Punishment is actually the Vintage Classics one because it has the P&V translation (I think the Everyman's Library one uses it too).

Hmmm I really like Pevear, but I picked up Oliver Ready's translation of Crime and Punishment, admittedly because I fell in love with the quality of the cover and the embossing. I'm really enjoying it as much as any Pevear translation I have read. I forget who translated the copy of The Idiot that I have, it wasn't Pevear and Volokhonsky but I didn't care as much for it.

So for Epictetus's Discourses I'm torn between Dobbin (Penguin) or Hard and Gill (Oxford).

>the best version of Crime and Punishment is actually the Vintage Classics one because it has the P&V translation
Oh boy here we go

Oxford is consistently better and the binding/paper isn't all stiff like penguin.

>P&V translation
Damn, you have a keen nose for controversy, user.

>P
>&
>V
>"translation"

I guess I'm new. I don't get it. P&V translations are well respected by everyone it seems, but not here?

>For instance, the best version of Crime and Punishment is actually the Vintage Classics one because it has the P&V translation

Modern Library is shit nobody buys that.

What translation of C&P is good?

McDuff is best, then Garnett

Thanks. Are any of the P&V translations of Dosty or Tolstoy good?

Other translations are better

Where does Collins, I was at the book store earlier and their copy of Moby dick was pretty cheap, they seem like wordsworth but without the cringe ass covers.

>P&V translations are well respected by everyone it seems
In the same way that comic book movies are well respected by everyone it seems

Garnett revised by Matlaw is the correct answer for C&P. Sadly it's only available in an old Norton edition.

I always go with HACKett if I can find one. Their books are durable.

Fuck off contrarian faggot. Garnett's BK is shit and McDuff is just as good as P&V.

They're generally hated here, although they have some supporters. How much of either is memeing is, of course, impossible to say. I can however say without memeing that their Master and Margarita was largely painful to read.

While we're talking about translations, what translation and edition is best for Aristotle's Ethics?

Well I suppose I will read a shorter P&V translation and see for myself.

It should only be read in its original Greek.

hahaha XD!

Oxford looks and feels nicer. I was surprised how good the quality of my W&P copy was.

I wish Oxford used a larger font. It also feels like Im taking ages to finish a page.

I love their Shakespeare series though.

is there some sort of online comparison/review website that I can use to compare the merits and demerits of different editions? It can be a real pain trying to find the best translations, the best notes, and avoiding abridged works.

In general if a Norton exists get that.

ANOTHER fucking Dostoevsky translation thread. Christ, can you plens get it through your thick skulls that he's not a difficult author to translate?

Oxford (like their World Classics) or Norton Critical Editions. In any case, they'll have an extensive editorial history, so you can usually easily find out what version you're reading
I think Norton always include small critical essays or excerpts on the given book, I own a handful and that's the case with those. Sometimes the extra reading is interesting, sometimes it's trendy bullshit or, in the case of older editions, outdated shit and a waste of space
For my money, Oxford World Classic are more concise and just smaller and more handy in general

Between Penguin and OWC? OWC is (almost always) the better choice, assuming equal price.

Penguin is often easier to find though.

do thomas wentworth higginson.

garnett is trash

OWC for most stuff, but if there's a Norton Critical Edition, get that if you're looking for supplementary notes. They're the most scholarly editions except for more specialized stuff, like the Arden editions for Shakespeare.