What does it take to be a writer?

What does it take to be a writer?

Other urls found in this thread:

danielgoleman.info/three-kinds-of-empathy-cognitive-emotional-compassionate/
alternet.org/culture/10-careers-most-psychopaths
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Enthusiasm is all it take to be a legendary author my friend.

A pipe and a typewriter.

Not doing whatever idiotic thing that guy is.

I think the best writers sit around doing nothing and just think about killing themselves. It's easy to write in between/during suicidal thoughts but that's about it, you have to be disciplined not to taint your mind with media and degenerate thoughts. Personally I can't handle the lifestyle of consuming drugs and hating myself and doing NOTHING else, it isn't worth it. I should probably do something about it.

A writer? Be a nonwhite female with degenerate sexuality

A great one? Be a white man

A notebook and a pen will also do.

Lots of practice

Lots of time

>all these wrong answers

read

Oddly enough, writing

Only if you want to produce lesser works.

Self-hatred and alcoholism

Time. Practice. Persistence. Editing.

Balls.

crippling depression mixed with narcissism

t. projects talent upon plebs

a reason

...Gaskun !!LKQ0Koj4uFz
01/12/17(Thu)14:16:30 No.8965251
155 KB
155 KB JPG
You have to WANT to write. It has to be something that consumes you enough that you give up all other things to pursue writing. And once you start writing you're going to suck. But the more you write the less you'll suck. It's an art and a honed skill that takes time to develop and master. It means less social time and less vidya. It means you'll have to choose it over a lot of other things. But the reward is worth it. A lot of people want the title of WRITER but don't want to put the time and effort into it. I stopped going to most writers meeting because I got tired of listening to a room full of assholes sitting around patting each other on the back about writing a single paragraph that "may or may not be part of a novel, I don't know."
Just pick a direction and go. If you finish a rough draft of a manuscript you're 95% further along than most.
It's worth it and I hope you choose to take up the practice of becomibg a writer. Godspeed.

A shit mother or father or both

And write. A. LOT.

an idea that captivates your imagination long enough that you're willing to see it through to the very last page and the very last rewrite

get cucked, suffer, write about it.

>tfw no Veeky Forums qt gf

Being able to ignore all your own criticisms and insecurities is a good skill.

Depression, and preferably some sort of utensil to do it with.

how do i hold a pipe in my mouth?
should i use my teeth?

I suppose you want to be part of the high literature. Leave a mark on history.

You have to be able to appeal to what people that like this types of book are appealed to. The same way J.K. Rowling appeals to children by showing what they'd like to be true and what they expect to see in a story. You have to think of people who would like James Joyce, David F. Wallace, Mark Twain and Homero. What do they expect from a story?

You have to understand human nature.

But to understand human nature, you have to rationally, logically know how humans work so well you don't feel human at all, you see them as another creature, but at the same time be able to pretend to be like them. You have to be cold inside, and warm outside. A robot with human skin.

It's the same thing that takes to be a president of an important country, a CEO of a giant company, a brilliant lawyer, or a successful serial killer. You have to be a sociopath.

>inb4 hurr durr edgy, kill yourself

This is the worst post up on the board right now by a considerable margin.

At least it's not the worst post ever on the Internet.

What didn't you like about it?

lmao actually true in 75% of all cases (mine included desu).

Independent wealth and high-powered contacts will also help to make you a writer, but I cannot stress enough that it will not make you a good one.

>You have to be a sociopath.
Ahh yes, a mental illness characterised by an inability to understand humanity is what allows people to understand humanity better than anyone else

>It's the same thing that takes to be a president of an important country, a CEO of a giant company, a brilliant lawyer, or a successful serial killer

You really think those are jobs similar to being an author?

A good editor.

>a mental illness characterised by an inability to understand humanity
I don't know where you took that idea from. Maybe fiction have told you that. Psychology tells it's mainly characterized by lack of emotional empathy, but not cognitive empathy.

More information:
danielgoleman.info/three-kinds-of-empathy-cognitive-emotional-compassionate/

You want to be completely different from any other author, so you have to detach yourself from thinking like them and feeling like them (low emotional empathy). But still you want, in a rational and controllable way, to understand what inspires and moves people (high cognitive empathy).

>You really think those are jobs similar to being an author?
In regards of having psychopathic traits? Yes.
alternet.org/culture/10-careers-most-psychopaths

Rocket success in any area depends on this.

>danielgoleman.info/three-kinds-of-empathy-cognitive-emotional-compassionate/
>And a 'one-third death' through the premature using up of the bobbinkandelnost of the feeling center occurs there for the most part among
those beings who become by profession what are called 'representatives of art.'

>"Most of these terrestrial professionals, especially the contemporary ones, at first fall ill with one or another form of what is called 'psychopathy,' and later, because of their psychopathy, they so to say intentionally 'learn to feel', thereafter, repeatedly experiencing this abnormal being-impulse, they gradually use up the contents of the bobbinkandelnost of their feeling center and, by thus disharmonizing the tempo of their own common presence, bring themselves to that peculiar end which is not often
met with even among them.

Gurdjieff on the premature death of the feeling center in humans.

Just adding to my last post: everything that August Camus has wrote is merely an act. There is nothing that closely ressembles what he really thinks in there, no real meaning, because he is pretending to be something that appeals to Veeky Forumsfags, critics and shit. It's all fake. They are all fake.

Veeky Forums's resident /guy/, Harold Bloom, on the frog """existentialists""":

>"Sartre, analyzing Flaubert, Genet, and himself, indeed manifests brilliance, whereas his fiction generally reduces to 'intellectually pleasing schemes and patterns' (Murdoch). Not much in Sartre's narratives can survive a comparison with Dostoevsky or Conrad or Faulkner. Sartre always knows too well what he thinks he is doing, and his characters never break away from him. In this he is like Camus, his friend and rival, who wrote moral essays and called them fiction. A few pages of Proust, read almost at random, suffice to obliterate the ideograms that Sartre and Camus vainly wish to establish as persons."

Practice and pandering to be a hack writer.

Practice and intelligence to be a good writer.

Practice, drugs, and mental illness to be a great writer.

You need to have something to say.

Kys, friend.

projecting self-hatred desu senpai

iron will and free time