Have you given up on keeping track of memes / culture / science...

Have you given up on keeping track of memes / culture / science? I waste all my time on the internet and still can't keep up with shit, not even Veeky Forums memes. It seems like embracing ignorance is the only intelligent choice.

Have you realised that the information age, with the huge amount of reading material, everything in English or translated to English, and vastly increased number of (sub-)media for books alone (physical, magazine, tablet, phone, e-reader, website, blog etc.), has destroyed the idea of being "well read"?

I think this for two reasons. First is the huge volume of stuff. You could read all day and never even read 1 % of all that "valuable" stuff. When it was 1600 and you could have read everything during your 3 years of formal education (more than 99 % of people) you could immediately join the intellectuals club. Now that's not true and it's demoralising.

The second reason is the killer. The idea of some sort of central planning bureau setting the list of required books is seen as farcical. We truly live in a much more multipolar world. Back in 1100 the Church told you to read the Greeks and the Bible and you are suddenly intelligent and well informed. There were no universities or companies or groups to tell you otherwise. These days, the huge increase in education means that everyone has an opinion and the arbitrariness of the "canon" has been exposed even to the most soody of pseudo intellectuals. Not only due to the multipolarisation within literature, but also the multipolarisation among activities. Who would claim that some Fields Medallist winning mathematician is an idiot because he hasn't read the Bible? It would take a high level of soodiness. But it would have been easy 1000 years ago.

Ultimately all this "well read" stuff was just a way for groups of people to signal social status / intellectualism or deriving other benefits by grouping their claimed interests together. We see it today when the academia-media-publishing industrial complex tells you that you have to read books or you're stupid. But this has been taken to a farcical new level now that writers like Tao Lin / Mira Gonzalez exist. It's also clear in other activities.

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/lit/?task=search2&ghost=yes&search_text=academia-media-publishing industrial complex&search_op=op
twitter.com/AnonBabble

tfw to smart to be president

>Who would claim that some Fields Medallist winning mathematician is an idiot because he hasn't read the Bible?
Who would claim that winning a piece of metal for recognition of some tiny mathematical advancement is more important than the salvation of humanity?

I'm reading along with the Count of Monte Cristo group, and I found it funny that Abbé Faria claimed he could teach Edmond everything he could want to know of all of the important subjects of the world in 2 years.

I haven't totally given up on collecting information, though I don't think it possible for an individual to reach a comprehensive understanding of collected human knowledge. Maybe it was possible to be closer in the past, but obviously not anymore.

>Christianity
>salvation of humanity
How can I break this to you gently... You have been bamboozled, user. AT MOST Christianity can be a system of moral and philosophical development, and a technique to experience Godhead. But it has long been superseded in all three of these respects.

>salvation of humanity

Good goys

I tend to lean more right wing desu, and no, I never browse /pol/.

I browse the Chan to keep up to date on modern culture. For better or for worse this place is consistently ahead of the curve.

TFW nietzsche predicted this

this is all you need to know about information in the internet age

>he doesn't take the supernatural seriously

Nietzsche would've been disgusted at Shillary and you know it

Disgusted, yes, but he probably wouldn't have been surprised by her.

She's got a very Last Man-ish feel about her, doesn't she? Even though she's a woman. Let's call her the Last Man's champion.

She's incredibly Last Man
Everyone who voted for her revealed themselves to be Last Men
Not to say that Trump didn't have any Last Men, but if you voted for Hillary it's literally the most Last Man thing you can do.

How did you take that from my post, I LITERALLY mentioned the Godhead you illiterate scum.

Take over, don't take over. It's all meaningless power plays that I don't give two shits about. The outcome could not have less effect on my life.

Interested in how Christianity can be a technique to experience godhead, can you elaborate?

??? I was referring to Nietzsche predicting the rise of pseudo-intellectuals

Oh look he posted it again

idk, i actually think she had a tremendous will to power. she was just dishonest about it.

i think just as many trump voters as hillary voters are 'last men,' but many more hillary supporters were also tarantulas. at least some trump voters are master moralists.

The enigma, for me at least, is what Trump himself is. /pol/ of course wants him to be an Ubermensch, but I'm not so sure he is. He seems more caught up than in control, a lot of the time.

Well just the fact that I spend most of my breaks reading books already makes the normies think I'm an intelectual and hard to approach. We live in a age where being a mouth breathing retard and spending all your free time browsing social midias in your phone is the normal. So I can't really understand your complaint.

Now if you think its unfair you don't get people on your dick because you read what is considered the bare minimum today, tough luck friend. I for one like knowing that I have an infinite amount of things to read until I die.

Well basically thinkibg of three things:

The mystical teachings of Jesus point towards the transcendence of egoic self to experience the Self that witnesses the universe as the manifestation of the One.

Similarly, some Christian mystics (John, Jung, etc.) also point towards these direct experiences.

On the religious level, certain Christian rituals (when they embrace mysticism), actually are able to override the rational mind and plug the individual into transcendental experience in which one is played like an instrument by the pure force of God (e.g., speaking in tongues).

Unfortunately, the greedy cunt establishment wanted all the political benefits of their club without any of the actual radical psychological transformation of civilisation as we know it. So they completely discouraged the mysticism their whole church was founded on.

What are some other ways to experience godhead?

You sounds like an unintelligent person trying to grasp for some grandiose idea of what it is to be an "intellectual," but are lost because you can't comprehend intellectualism beyond whatever you've been told it is.

Zen training
Psychedelic drugs
Transcendental meditation
Magick
Divine grace
Shamanistic ritual
Etc.

There is lots to read up on mystical experiences.

kek

keeping up with current nonsense is not the opposite of ignorance.

getting lost in media is much more ignorant

Thanks for the concise reply, seeing the word Godhead in the context of Christianity kinda piqued my interest as I've never really thought of the teachings of Christ to relate to the experience of oneness that one can attribute to the term Godhead.
However since a high dose psychedelic experience, something has drawn me towards Christ and his accompanying philosophy, which I found strange as the experience of intense unity and nonbeing I went through doesn't seem to be something that easily meshes into a Christian worldview, at least at first glance.

A thumbprint of acid and a friendly trip sitter will get you there quick

I can see that.

I re-read the vision and the riddle before replying to your post and I caught that gravity is referred to as lame-foot, which is both an oedipal reference and the name of the tightrope walker in chapter 6 of the prologue.

In the end I think the tight-rope walker and the dwarf gravity are two identities fighting within one entity. They melt away into the shepherd grappling with the serpent he finds at the conclusion of his vision, who is an allegory for Jesus, as well as a vision of the coming superman. I'm still not quite understanding how it connects to Oedipus, although as a stretch I could say it related to the prophesy of Genesis when Adam and Eve are kicked out of the garden, that the seed of the woman will strike the serpent's head, and he will strike his heel. I at once recall the apocryphal project of Master & Margarita, which was to present Jesus as some ubermensch type figure corrupted by Levi Matvei (cf. Nietzsche's views on Paul/NT in general).

I think it all likely morphs together into a metaphor for the superman who will eventually destroy the Christian notion of 'evil' (as in Beyond Good and Evil) and end slave morality. He is the one who (in section 2 of On the Spirit of Gravity) will 'baptize all men anew and teach them how to fly' (overcome gravity) and subvert the 'roaming about of loving one's neighbor.'

Oedipus could also factor in as at metaphor for getting fucked over by forces outside of our control, such as what happened to the tight-rope walker, one who strived toward but couldn't quite reach the ubermensch ideal, unable to overcome (fatalistic) gravity.

>falling for academia-media-publishing industrial complex guy
>being this new to Veeky Forums

Fucking newfags. Sage this shit.

warosu.org/lit/?task=search2&ghost=yes&search_text=academia-media-publishing industrial complex&search_op=op

No problem, user. Good on you.

Remember, Jesus was not a Christian. There are many levels to the teachings, and at their core, all religions are based on the direct mystical experience of the same calibre.

Christianity and many other religions have bastardised transcendent teachings.

get this hothead outta here