What's you favorite film adaptation? For me, I'd say it's either The Great Gatsby from 2013 or American Psycho...

what's you favorite film adaptation? For me, I'd say it's either The Great Gatsby from 2013 or American Psycho. DiCaprio and Bale ideally personified their characters and both directors perfectly rendered the atmosphere of the prose from books.

2013 Gatsby is one of the worst films I've ever seen
Actually got nauseous watching it

Never read the book, but the Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy movie was a masterpiece.

This. I like Moulin Rouge but Baz Luhrman's adaptations are heinous. Romeo + Juliet was the worst thing I've ever seen.

I'd fight you irl. Kidding, I don't know, it's just my little foible. I fell in love with this movie and it's hard for me to imagine how can one hate it. You didn't even like implementation of modern songs into the soundtrack? For me it was so refreshing and fascinating.
>Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Thanks for reminding me there is a book. Saw this film few years ago and also loved it, gotta rewatch it someday.

>
>
>I'd fight you irl. Kidding, I don't know, it's just my little foible. I fell in love with this movie and it's hard for me to imagine how can one hate it. You didn't even like implementation of modern songs into the soundtrack? For me it was so refreshing and fascinating.
New to this thread but just came to say that Moulin Rouge is the only movie Baz ever made that wasn't absolute garbage.

I haven't seen the 2013 adaptation, but the 1970s Gatsby with Robert Redford is actually really good, I thought.

I remember seeing gatsby and thinking it was good. It was shunted in to some sort of march release date but it is easily better than most Oscar bait

Eragon

T A R K O V S K Y
A + L E M
R L
K E
O M
V
s
K
Y

Watchmen

In the Mood for Love

I can't imagine the Das Boot book being better than the film, so that.

anything kubrick

you telling me that you liked clockwork orange more on a screen?

>what about Raoul Ruiz's adaptation of Dante's Divina Commedia: A TV Dante.

yep

Stalker by Tarkovsky, although when compared with the original, the term inspiration seems to fit it much better.

2001 A Space Odyssey
The Shining
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
It's a Wonderful Life
Lost Horizon
The Body Snatchers
Apocalypse Now
The Bridge on the River Kwai
The Trial (Orson Welles version)

There's so many great film adaptations it's hard to say.

I'm of same opinion, and I really had high hopes for it. Loved Romeo from the same director, and I love Gatsby, but the end result was abysmal. They managed to completely loose the feeling of jazz age with realistic scenery of town and petrol station, and totally exaggerated party scenes. And then you have idiotic music selection and cringe worthy green cgi light. Not that bad for a movie, but not deserving to be called anything else.

Good ones:
Gatsby '70
A Clockwork Orange
Barry Lyndon
Apocalypse Now
Godfather 1
Lotr 1-2-3
Witness for Persecution
Orsone Welle's Mcbeth
Branagh's Hamlet minus the ending
Romeo and Juliet '68
Romeo and Juliet '96
Coriolanu '11 (underrated classic blacklisted since it was from Gibsons production company)
Doctor Zhivago
The Reader
Quo Vadis
Disney's Snow White
Once Upon a Time in America
Heaven's Gate
Gomorrah (vague novel connections though)
Ciudad de Deus

>2001 A Space Odyssey
lol

Oh, forgotten Solaris. Briliant scify.

No country for old man

A Scanner Darkly
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
No Country For Old Men

Are people rating film adaptations having not read the book too? When I think about it the amount of film adaptations I've seen of books I've actually read is staggeringly low. The only great ones I can think of are The Woman in the Dunes, The Trial + Blade Runner.

Watched High Rise last year and thought it was pretty pedestrian, tbqh.

Oh, and I like the adaptation of Norwegian Wood better than the book

Jaws
The Godfather
Being There
There Will Be Blood
The Exorcist
MASH

Movies all improved on the books

10 Things I Hate About You

I don't really watch films as adaptations themselves, unless it's from a great piece. My favourites of that category are, today, Anderson's Inherent Vice (wish they could release the rest of the scenes though) and Welles' The Trial.

Anything Kubrick did is an improvement. Except idk about Lolita, haven't seen it

Didn't Lem despise Tarkovski's adaptation and Tarkovski consider him a second rate author, though?

>You didn't even like implementation of modern songs into the soundtrack?

no i thought it was autistic lol

Like it's worth to give a fuck about what Lem said in his last, grumpy years.

Good adaptations take the source material, change it for different medium, but still retain all the major themes. Bad ones, ether change it completely (Earthsea anime), or change little, but screw the film or the themes. And the there's the third category, the one that changes the source for the better. They're bad adaptations, but can even surpass source material. Dune, Fight Club, American Psycho, Blade Runner.

nah you can cut out themes if their shit. The Shining book was all about his struggles with alcoholism, Stephen King bitched about it but Kubrick was right to toss it

Starship Troopers

>Watched High Rise last year and thought it was pretty pedestrian
That's a shame, I was really looking forward to it as a big Ballard fan. I also thought the architecture looked so ecstatically vain so I was hoping for lots of decadent shots. Doesn't really fit in with the writing but was there anything like that?

Hahaha you know what Leonardo's doing in that picture right?

>He: Hey...do you know what this is?
>She: No.
>He: It's a brain sucker. Do you know what it's doing?
>She: No--
>He: Starving.

Then he bursts out in the biggest fucking guffaw you ever heard and dies of a heart attack from laughter while the camera's rolling.

That's why he's my favorite actor.