Hidden Gems of FOOD

What are some hidden gems of food? What are some long forgotten secrets related to food? What are the tips that few people seem to know?

Other urls found in this thread:

history.com/news/ask-history/did-marie-antoinette-really-say-let-them-eat-cake
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

beef tongue.

If I told you, I'd have to kill you and eat you with fava beans and a chianti.

>beef tongue.
This one I know.
Which country you from, friend?
N-no.

Always stir water clockwise in the northern hemisphere and anti clockwise in the south.

Do not do this, it will create mustard gas.

Mustard gas is the best seasoning for hotdogs, that's the secret

But if you eat ketchup gas with hotdogs, you deserve to be gassed

Water is really just liquid ice.

cum is a good vegan source of protein

Butter is simply solidified oil.

The first time I went to the southern hemisphere I rushed to a toilet at the airport and flushed it. But then I realized I couldn't really remember how is it supposed to flush in other continents.

I either have horrible attention to details, or that is just a lie.

that's not true at all.

there are proteins and sugars as well unless you clarify it. even then it's not really oil since it's an animal fat.

Thanks Einstein.

Is this your first troll thread?

*shhhhh*

Once word gets out, our gems will soon become overpriced and feature on every shit chef's menu from CA to NY.

seasonality, scarcity, and thrift is vital for a society to have a thriving food culture and high culinary standards.

Making food cheap and abundant is about the worst thing you can inflict on culinary practices and nutrition on any country.

>let's make sure 90% of people starve so we have haute cuisine!

It doesn't require starvation, just not subsidizing and creating unnecessary surplus outside of your societies staple.

Japan is a good example, rice and soy products are plentiful and cheap but everything else is considered a luxury, especially meat and most things are only sold in season so even average households in Japan have an incredibly high standard of taste and nutrition out of reverence and thrift.

>vegan
humans are the animal we abuse most, though

Overseason meat on the grill.

REAL chefs drop like a pound of salt on nice steaks before they grill.

Next time you get all cute with your sprinkles of salt and pepper, remember how dumb you are.

FULL handful of salt. Make a motherfucking crust on that bitch.

If you get scallops eat the roe as well.
I have no idea why you wouldn't, its the same flavor with a slightly mushier texture. More and more I see both restaurants a home posts leaving it off the scallop

This meme needs to die.

history.com/news/ask-history/did-marie-antoinette-really-say-let-them-eat-cake

The irony is that she was probably the most generous aristocrat in Frence history.

Add pasta to waste before it boils. Only add salt after you rinse the pasta off with first cold water followed by lukewarm and then hot. Pepper is the anti to salt.

Water*
Unless you are going for pasta al jenkem

That's like saying she was the least stinky turd

Wrong.

F-f-f-f-f-f-ffffffff

seawead salad, jellyfish, goat cheese

to properly marinate your chicken as it absorbs flavour like sponge.

if you want to spice up boiled potato: garlic salt
a little bit is good, too much bad for your heart.

margarine has been around for hundreds of years.

butter has been around for thousands of years. butter is better for you plus butter on toast is better than margerine

Powdered milk is better in cereal than fresh milk.

It's a lie senpai

yeah but its ok to abuse humans. They are the one exception.

>pepper is the anti to salt

head cheese is actually delicious

This guy cooks

Got a party planned tonight, will try this and post results.

What the FUCK did you just say to me, bitch?

Bacon from a butcher doesn't turn into greasy carbon.

It's not popular in the States at all. I made some for tacos with my family though, and it went over great. Not everyone would eat it though. Not even try it. I think the mental imagery is too much for people who aren't accustomed to it.

Allioidae (garlic, onions, etc) are actually toxic

I love to eat a big scoop of this and slowly chew it

- get a bamboo steamer for cooking vegetables. instead of waiting for the oven to heat up (and heating up your house during summer), you just wait for a small amount of water to boil in a pan. actual cooking time is way shorter too. and you don't have to use oil/butter.

- sweetened condensed milk is awesome. seems and gross and prolly kinda is in a way, but it's the magic behind tres leches and thai iced tea, among other things. taste is great but doesn't get used a lot.

- be careful buying stuff that takes up counter space, especially if it just serves one purpose.

>Dried oregano is nice and potent
>Esplette pepper is nice but lesser known outside of French cooking
>Sumac is a pretty awesome spice and is somewhat low-key in the culinary world
>If you are finishing something with a few drops of lemon juice (i.e. sauteed asparagus), might as well throw in some of the zest as it is flavorful, fancy, and otherwise wasted
>Cooking meat in a low oven with a probe thermometer to your desired center temp then finishing it on super high heat or searing it = never fail, perfectly even protein cookery (the infamous reverse sear)
>Similarly, sous meme is actually worth it if you have the money for a decent rig + vacuum sealer. Only lame aspect of it is that it pussifies and takes the skill or nuance out of a lot of things that are traditionally tough to nail
>When you're cooking meat other than a dry-aged steak or something, always find a way to serve it with a jus or sauce, even if you have to hack it. Sauce is a crowd-pleaser
>Plating tends to be more striking if you can create height
>Serving bread warm exaggerates the flavor
>The best way to multiply your cooking skill overnight is to do an apprenticeship or stage at a restaurant and try hard
>A decent knife in the hands of somebody who can sharpen it at will is always better than an expensive knife in the hands of a noob
>A lot of preparations, especially in baking and pastry, are shrouded in mystique and therefore intimidating until you actually do them a few times. As a general rule you will suck at a novel technique like meringue, piping, kneading dough until you've done it like five or six plus times.
>Don't fall for marketing tricks with your basic staples. For most savory applications, cook with a neutral, high-heat oil such as grapeseed and season with kosher salt.
>Don't just throw random spice blends at everything you cook. In fact, don't even buy spice blends unless you're using them for a specific application.

The most important and basic thing I learned long ago that improved my dishes 100000x was LETTING MEAT REST.

You can make a shitty steak taste pretty damn good if you season it properly and let it rest for 5-10 minutes.

I eat at so many friends houses or with family who take that shit out of the pan or off the grill and immediately start stabbing it and slicing it up. Holy fuck leave it there, don't cover it either so the steam makes the crust all moist.

Oh, another one: cut meat across the grain rather than with the grain, it's much more tender that way

>long forgotten secrets related to food

what

is there any difference between a bamboo steamer and a regular metal one?
I would guess it's not as hot to the touch afterwards so there's that

don't know honestly. got my bamboo one as a gift and haven't tried anything else

black garlic is a secret technique

Toast your sugar on a sheet pan in the oven for use in baking.

my grandma taught me, just touch your weewee or coocoo before handling vegetables, its enough to start fermentation for pickling, same for sourdough :)

You have to take them to a little taqueria with a Spanish only menu and tell them that lengua means beef. They order it, think, is delicious, then you break the news

palm sugar

You're gunna get assaulted

why tho

We wuz garlicz n sheet

I come from South Africa and we eat the fuck out of that

>When you're cooking meat other than a dry-aged steak or something, always find a way to serve it with a jus or sauce, even if you have to hack it. Sauce is a crowd-pleaser
powerful tip
Pan sauces are fucking awesome and so easy
the last pan sauce I made I didn't even have any stock and it still came out beauty
>cook bacon in stainless steel pan to get grease
>drop porkchops in hot bacon grease pan
>munch on bacon
>cook porkchops
>finish cooking porkchops
>pour out all but a tablespoon of the remaining oil
>add red wine, scrape fond off the bottom of the pan
>reduce
>reduce
>turn to med-low heat
>add butter

DELICIO

pan sauces are probably the best bang-for-your-buck sauce out there, so easy and so good

Sczchewan pepper
Sharkfin dumplings (not real shark)
Bahn mi
Tripe tacos

This actually sounds brilliant.

Shouldn't have told them. It's amazing how retarded people can be about food. One minute they'll be praising your dishes and saying how good it tastes. The moment you tell them it has something they "don't eat" in it they'll just stop eating, put it away and act like little bitches.

What's it like? Is it delicious like cheek?

Also is there a special way it has to be cooked?

only during daylight savings time

Pickle soup. Seriously.

Is it like whey protein? I oddly keep finding myself doing that with it even though I hate how it feels

Only to dogs and cats

>Season from like 8 inches above your food. Dont pinch the salt on there from an inch away. >Use kosher salt.
>Rinse short grain rice before you cook it. >Greek oregano tastes better than regular oregano.
>Dont mix in salt with your hamburger meat unless you want to form a sausage like textured patty.
>grind your own hamburger meat from chuck steak
>some cuts of beef taste better cooked more than rare of medium rare.
>blue cheese and honey is a good combo
>frying with olive oil can be a good idea depending on what style of food you are making.