Why do we discover exoplanets...

Why do we discover exoplanets, but have difficulties to discover what happens in Kuiper Belt and still don't know what causes Pluto / Charon orbit perturbations while Voyager is in it? Is it due to a massive planet beyond Kuiper Belt that we still don't have discover?

Other urls found in this thread:

findplanetnine.com/
gps.caltech.edu/~mbrown/papers/ps/findp9.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Discovering exoplanets is done by monitoring the brightness of a star, then looking at the dimming of that start as a planet passes in front of it. Trying to see if theirs a planet beyond the Kuiper Belt is harder, since you can only infer that there might be something their by looking at, for example, the perturbation in the orbit of another planet. You can't see it directly, since the sun is too far away to illuminate it and planets don't radiate any light.

Universe is big.
Even the solar system is probably too much for you to even visualize in your head.
Exoplanets are detected when they pass in front of their home star and dim its light.
Visually detecting a sub-stellar size object beyond Pluto's orbit is next to impossible.

>Discovering exoplanets is done by monitoring the brightness of a star, then looking at the dimming of that start as a planet passes in front of it.
Then how can they know the composition of exoplanets, like Gliese, the planet ocean, Cancri-e, tje diamond planet...?

you confuse detection and observation
it's not that they are literally too small to see, they are too small to find
once we find them we can look more carefully and measure shit like transit and radial velocity, they can calculate approximate mass of the object, and go from there to guess its structure and composition, but it's largely that, guesses.

We can find exoplanets by looking at the very visible nearby stars which we can always follow and checking the evidence for them

Finding new dwarf planets in our solar system means looking randomly in almost any arbitrary direction and just so happening that the dim small thing is there at the time when we looked

OK, I understood, thank you very much.

Do you think there can be a massive planet at the boundary of the Solar System?

If not, what makes Pluto / Charon orbit so unusual?

Why do comets like Haley's comets have a so weird orbit too, what attract them to the edge of the Solar System?

Do you mean that they're unusual in the sense of having very elliptical orbits? That has nothing to do with an extra planet. Elliptical orbits are entirely normal and stable. If an extra planet were actively influencing Pluto's orbit, the orbit would change over time, rather than maintaining the same ellipse. Same goes for comets.

Anyway, there could certainly be another massive planet out there, especially a pretty small one like Pluto. In fact, I think they've found some objects fairly close to Pluto's mass in the Kuiper Belt. A bigger planet is unlikely but not completely impossible.

Not OP but is it possible to discover such planets at home with a little telescope?

>Do you mean that they're unusual in the sense of having very elliptical orbits?
Yes, this is what I meant. By the way, do you know why do they have very elliptical orbits?

Astrophysicians had to wait for 1995 to discover their first exoplanets with their telescopes of high technology, some of them are in the space to not be bothered by the atmosphere. You couldn't see one with your own telescope.

You can discover NEOs with such a setup if you're lucky,

Highly elliptical orbits, like Pluto's can be caused by object's insufficient speed to maintain a circular orbit, when it starts "falling" towards the star, but then has more than enough orbital speed to not get locked in a circular orbit closer to the star, so it keeps going and eventually reaches the distance where it started and the whole process repeats.

OK, thank you.

because exo planets are easier to fool the masses with cgi and unprovable theories so they can recieve their billions in tax payer grant money from the government to keep spouting nonsense that favor the globalist who control the governments interests, such as a air tax= carbon tax.

>A bigger planet is unlikely but not completely impossible.
You mean very likely right?

Do you have sources or extrapolations that may explain a ninth planet please?

?

If it is another planet, it would likely have to be huge but the issue with that is that typically planets of that size are reserved for gas planets like Jupiter and Saturn. Anything more massive than Jupiter would likely begin turning into a star. It is more likely that the gravitational shifts of all the 8 planets in or solar system are causing more chaotic orbital patterns for celestial bodies.

What if jupiter was a bit bigger and turned into a star. How would that influence life on earth?

I'm not sure on how much larger but I have a vague number floating around 2.5x larger and there would be no earth. This system would become a binary star system and the evolving planets would not be suitable for life.

Jupiter would have to be 80 times more massive to start fusion.

OP here

What I don't understand though is if there's a massive planet of the size of Jupiter beyond Kuiper Belt, why don't we discover it yet, whereas Voyager 1 and 2 are in this area and New Horizons is in Kuiper Belt?

>Voyager 1 and 2 are in this area
the problem seems to be you don't understand how large this area is

everything has been explained to you in this thread

Read this fag:
findplanetnine.com/

So because it's far from the sun, it's not going to reflect much light. We could detect it from its IR emissions, but because it's relatively cold and far away it's going to be dim.

There are ongoing and planned surveys that might detect it.
gps.caltech.edu/~mbrown/papers/ps/findp9.pdf

I'm a shit teacher, but I'm gonna try helping you with this thing I've made just for the occasion.

Imagine you're looking at a city skyline through a pair of binoculars.
If you pay attention, sometimes you can spot people in the windows.
Those are the exoplanets.
There is a Spiderman hanging out in the picture, and the reason he's hard to spot is the same reason, objects 10 billion kilometers from the sun are hard to spot.

Oh right, thank you all. I probably didn't imagine how large this area is.

did you find the spiderman?

No

But he is there, I'm not pulling your leg.
You have to zoom in and diligently scan whole image to spot him, but he is clearly visible.
And that's the problem we're facing.
Sky is humongous. To see something like that you have to focus on a certain area and then next and so on. Even with all observatories on earth working together, we can only look at a tiny sliver of the sky at any given moment.