/gss/

ITT: Grocery Store Stories

>Car broke down
>Need to get groceries
>Use Uber
>Ask driver, "Hey man uh...Would it be an issue if you waited for me until I was finished with grocery shopping, I'll pay ext-"
>Driver says "Nah it's cool bruh, I got time to wait until you're done, you do you, homie"
>Spend 30 minutes to get groceries
>Come back and find the uber driver was still there
>He sees me and pops the trunk open as I put my groceries inside
>Uber drives me home
>I thank and even tipped him an extra 10

I swear to God, I would've sucked him off too, he was that much of a bro.

Buy an ad.

Wtf I love Uber now.

>No car for 2 weeks
>Need foods
>Uber
>Oldass Crown Vic blaring some gypsy music
>Driver barely speaks English
>Tell him I changed my mind
>Survive off of canned beans until my parts get in

You know they get paid to just sit there right?

>buy 11 things
>get 9 bags

>be an Uber driver
>get paid about 71 cents per mile and 8 cents per minute
>get a ride request
>drive to the pick up location (9 minute drive, unpaid)
>wait for the person to come out of their house (4 minutes, unpaid)
>drive the person to the grocery store (1.5 miles and about 4 minutes on the road)
>person asks me to wait "a few minutes" and they were "just going to run in and run out"
>leaves purse in my car so I cannot abandon the trip
>wait 11 minutes
>drive the 1.5 miles back to the person's house, which takes another 4 minutes
>thank them for their business, help with groceries
>no tip, as per usual
>end the trip in the app, check my payout:
>$2.13 earned for mileage and $1.52 earned for my time, so about $3.65 total
>that's before tax, gas, and other depreciation on my car
>total time that this person took out of my day since receiving their trip request: 32 minutes
>mfw I literally just earned less than minimum wage driving for this scam company

No, we do not. This is the fate breakdown in my city. Note that Uber takes a 25% cut of that measly 11 cents, so I only earn about 8 cents per minute that I'm just sitting there. Do the math. The hourly rate is only $4.80/hr if I'm not driving. And people think they don't have to tip, so they usually do not tip.

>be 16
>go shopping with parents because you have no choice
>"can you run back and grab another can of this"
>get lost
>find self stuck in a crowded isle
>get foot ran over five times by accident
>manage to climb way out of the isle like a cockroach against the shelves
>realize we have a lot of frozen food in the cart
>decide to call it done and pick up anything we need tomorrow
>bag shit for half a god damn hour
>go outside with 2-3 carts of your month worth of food
>call cab
>wait 30 minutes
>no cab
>remember forgetting sauce for some spaghetti
>go back and get it
>come back out
>hour passes after calling cab company
>call them multiple times
>"we've sent out like 5 people"
>call bullshit, cuss them out
>protect food, starts to snow
>people stare at you like homeless idiot trying to steal some one's food out of a cart as you're waiting
>call different cab company after another 30 minutes of bitching and waiting
>snow getting about 4" thick
>several cabs, at least 6, appear out of god damn no where
>none of them are for us
>get fucking pissed, call a different cab company
>cab comes with in 10 minutes
>load shit in
>get home
>all our frozen food has gone to shit
>realizing we still missed a lot of shit on the list some how
>regret the past 8 hours of our god damn lives

honestly I just ride my bike or walk to the store... usually I don't buy so much that I need a ride back but I only ever take a ride on the way home

>we don't get paid
>showing that you do get paid

I didn't say you got paid a lot, just that you DO in fact get paid for waiting

>I won on a technicality

Uh-huh.

No, you misunderstand. He gets paid while the trip is in PROGRESS, he doesnt get paid to just sit around like a jackass.

This totally depends on where you live. When I lived in Japan, I could accomplish 99% the things I needed to do with just a bicycle, only occasionally borrowing a friend's car to buy furniture or things like that. In the majority of American cities, it's just not practical to bike, much less walk, to the grocery store.

>have to go shopping
>call mom to see if she needs anything
>mom tags along since she only has to pick up milk and cat food
>fuck it, let's go
>give her the key to the car since she'll be done first and it's raining out
>take my time getting everything on my list
>spend several minutes in the produce section comparing items
>wait in line at butcher counter
>spend a solid 30-45 minutes in the store
>get out and run to the car
>it's locked
>mom's nowhere in sight
>didn't think to take my umbrella
>wait for 20 minutes in the rain
>mom rolls out a full cart of anything and everything neither milk nor cat food
>I get the key back and unlock the car
>she complains that I'm not moving her groceries fast enough and the bags are getting wet
>she complains that I'm not starting the car fast enough and she might catch a cold
>drive her home and carry her groceries into her house
>she and dad complain that I'm taking too long
>leave without saying anything
>never call before going shopping again

one time i was trying to buy a pack of tortillas and a bag of chips so I went to the express lane and the first lady in line had credit card problems that took almost 5 or 6 minutes (she was trying to purchase a single box of lettuce)

How the fuck do you get paid so little? I had to pay like $5 for an uber to bring me maybe one full mile because I was too shitfaced to walk home.

Because it's a scam. Uber promises drivers 75% of "the fare," but they don't tell you that they tack on a $2 "booking fee" to every fare that riders pay, which they do not share with the drivers. For a $20 trip, it's less significant, but for short trips, especially when our wheels aren't moving, it contributes to a large part of the almost a 50% commission that Uber gets.

That's not a technicality, you get paid for waiting. That's fact.

You said it as if it was worth the driver's time to wait. Sorry, but $4.80/hr. (less in other cities) to wait is not worth it.

>You said
I never said that, I'm a different person.

Even then, they never said it was worth your time. They said "they get paid to just sit there", which is accurate.

Just fuck off.

>you caught me in a lie so I'll call you retarded!

Get a job.

I can't figure out what you're trying to prove except that you have a crippling social disorder.

How's it feel to make less than someone with a "crippling social disorder"?

who the fuck buys lettuce in a box?

Stop projecting your insecurity onto me.

kek

So... you DO get paid just to sit there?

Should have put the frozen food in the snow.

I'll put you in the snow.

food was fucked before the snow even started we were out there for at least an hour before it started user

> Put order in online
> Drive to store
> Pull into bay in car park
> Load car
> Sign for it
> Drive off
Easy.

> Put in order online
> Book delivery slot
> Wait
> Unload trays as the driver brings them in
> Thank him, sign for the goods
Easy.

I don't know why you fucktards don't get stuff delivered yet.

>Survive off of canned beans until my parts get in
Why? All the Spaghetti fall out of your pocket when you saw someone you arent used to?

>have highly functional schizophrenia
>get stared at by everyone
>not sure if I'm doing weird shit or they aren't actually looking at me
>end up buying a bunch of tv dinners and doing self checkout because uncomfortable
>"Are you alright?"
>"Y-you too..."

Are you guys fucking Jewish or what

Leaving personal spaces isn't usually an issue for normal people.

Jesus Christmas

I started lexapro and the first 3 days of anxiety were killer. I swear everyone asked me if I was okay/how am I doing and I was worried I acting strange.

You could have anxiety/paranoia. People ask how are you? To people all the time, he'll I do too. I don't think they mean it in the way we think when we're paranoid

"get paid" you can find more than 11c on the sidewalk

Smartass. If every trip were these short little trips to the grocery store where I waited 15 minutes, I would LOSE money driving for Uber, since $4.80/hr, minus tax, minus car maintenance expenses, isn't enough to pay for the gas I use while driving to pick people up.

>If every trip were these short little trips to the grocery store where I waited 15 minutes

Good thing you are not required to wait for people to shop and every ride isn't that way.

So... you get paid $4.80 an hour just to sit there?

This is coming from someone who gets paid 45 britbongs an hour :)

Granted, I make it a policy not to wait while people go into stores, but other drivers do. For example, the driver from the OP's story.

>So... you get paid $4.80 an hour just to sit there?
The rate to sit there is $4.80/hr. The rate to drive is 71 cents per mile. In reality, I'll usually be able to do 1-3 trips per hour and one of those trips is usually medium or high mileage to make up for any short and quick trips (minimum fare rides only pay $3, but IDEALLY, they also only take about 10 minutes to get done). During peak hours (early morning on weekdays and late nights on weekends), I can usually pull somewhere between $15-25/hr, although the majority of the time during the day, it will average out in the $10-12/hr range. It becomes a serious problem if I start waiting in grocery store parking lots for people, which, as I showed in , results in a significant reduction in average pay per hour.

>This is coming from someone who gets paid 45 britbongs an hour :)
Uber drivers don't get paid very much, but I bet you that the costs of living are different between where we live and the skills required to do our jobs are significantly different.

Combine this with the fact that you need to own an 09 car or newer, if it's not paid off, you'd have to drive a shitload of people around just to cover the car payments.

>looking for a chicken over 6 pounds so i get the store discount
>random old fuck approaches me
>excuse me, i hope im not bothering you...
>adress him, he probably wants help reaching something or wants to know if i saw something he is looking for
>... but i have lost X pounds this year and...
yeah you are bothering me, and i go back to my chickens
why do people think its ok to bother some random stranger just because he is fat?

that bread you left at the very back of your grocerys?, the one separated from the beef and chicken and soda and everyhing that weights a lot and is surrounded with the frail stuff like eggs on purpose?
im going to grab that first and stuff it at the very bottom of the bag so you have some nice flat garbage when you arrive home

Different Uber driver here. This is why I don't even bother driving on Saturdays during the day in my city. Too many poor fuckers who think it's a good idea to use Uber like public transportation. I rarely have a problem on any other day.

Hey, question: you got your ride wired for audio and video? I've tons of professional victims getting a ride and claiming rape/kinapping on the news. They just arrested some pajeet for it and as far as I can tell it's her word against his.

So you DO get paid to sit there.

>waiting in line
>finally my turn
>cashieer starts checking my items before the person before has either paid or bagged anything
>watching my shit like a hawk in case someone takes anything thats mine
hey can you please sheck X for discount?
>X is getting close
hey please check for discount
>she is actually scanning X
check if its making the discount

>arrive home
>they didnt make the fucking discount
>fucker handed me someone elses store card

Hows life as a bag boy working out for you champ?

>grocery store is 20 minutes away at most by a short walk
>never have to worry about this
feels good being a citycuck

>go to self-checkout with two baskets full of stuff
>only checkotus open are the ones with a tiny little counter
>go to self-checkout with two items
>only ckeckouts open are the ones that have a full-on conveyor belt and buttloads of bagging space
every time

It's OK for you to believe that. I'm not going to try to explain it to you anymore.

>20minutes away by a walk
>grocery shopping
do you just buy a loaf of bread and a stick of butter you put in your pocket, 20 minute walk with several heavy bags would be terrible

Some of the best posts I've seen on here are fast food employees or grocery baggers trying to act superior to anons

When you live that close you can just go more often instead of trying to do a month's worth all in one go. It's not too bad that way. Still sucks when you have to carry a lot of canned goods or liquids though, gotta plan ahead to break it up.

>>When you live that close

What he's saying is that a 20 minute walk is not close at all. Which it's not.

>no car
>Need to get groceries
>My shitty city doesn't have any ride sharing services
>walk 10 miles to get groceries
>walk home
>dont eat that day because i dont want to move

>getting paid $4 an hour and then spending it all on gas for the company car
Jesus fucking Christ

This. There are some truly dumb people on this board, I swear.

At least you understand the situation.

that's a nice contemplative stroll though

Hey, it's great if you have all the time in the world to stroll through the park all day and are unemployed, but for the rest of us, that would be an extremely inconvenient way to live our lives.

>he doesn't have a fresh produce market on his 5km bicycle commute back from work (which is on a grade separated bike lane)

pfft

>go to store
>look around for groceries
>can't find X (milk, eggs, etc)
>look for a shop assistant
>"hey, where is X"
>"...next to you, look: there, man"
everytime

You fucking fatass pussy. When I was in college, I routinely walked to a grocery 20 minutes away and carried back 2 grocery sacks of food. And you wonder why you're fat and weak.

t.lardass

You have no other options? I would rather not work at all, it would save me the embarrassment of being fucked over in such a way.

>2 grocery sacks of food
wow, that's so much, how did you manage ?

I get up at 6:00-6:30, get ready and drive to work at 7:30. I leave work at 5:00 and get home by 5:40, worn out. Why the fuck would I want to walk to work in the heat of the afternoon sun for 40 minutes only to barely bring back enough food to hold me over for 2 days????? If you walk 20 minutes to get your groceries, then you are unemployed.

>When I was in college, I routinely walked
Pretty much says it all.

I don't know if you understand what I'm saying. When I'm driving, I can earn upwards of $20/hr. I have no problem taking home $100-160 in 8 hours of work, albeit, it's highly variable. It's when passengers try to abuse my time that I don't really earn any money at all.

As somebody else said, there are certain times of the week when the dregs of society come out of the woordwork thinking that Ubers are public transportation and really try to fuck me over for their own selfish benefit. It can be hard to tell a passenger - especially one of these people - "no" because they don't understand that they are not in public transportation. I drive my personal car and as long as I'm sitting in one place, even if I'm "on a trip," I'm not really earning any money.

Maybe it's not for you but don't act like it's unfathomable for an ordinary working person to spend 40 minutes getting some light exercise. I take longer walks just to clear my head. Maybe if you work manual labor it wouldn't make sense but some of us have to spend 8 hours a day sitting in a chair, a walk seems luxurious after that.

I do spend at least 40 minutes on quality exercising. I also spend some time every day reading books, socializing, making dinner, doing the dishes, doing laundry, doing yard work, and so many other things. That's why I don't have time to waste sweating in the heat walking to and from the grocery store when I could just drive there.

Fuck off ashifag

You do realize this thread isn't about you specifically, right?

4.80 is usually a minimum ride, if you are doing 1 ride an hour you SUCK as an uber driver, you should be doing about 4-5 if you are doing minimum distance only

I realize that. Do you?

>I walk 20 minutes to get groceries
>if you don't do it my way, then you are a lardass and retarded
Pot, meet kettle.

They were large paper sacks, you fatfuck. If they had been the plastic, it would have been 6. Now go take a 1 minute drive to the convenience store to pickup another 2 litres of coke.

t. 5'8'' 200 lbs down from 250

Because I felt it would be better to "rough it' instead of getting raped.

The $4.80 is just the rate to sit there. These short rides to the grocery store where the rider wants the driver to wait don't last an hour, though, so the payout is much less. And no, a minimum fare payout is only $3.00, sometimes less than that in different cities - even though riders might pay as much as $6 for a minimum fare.

>if you are doing 1 ride an hour you SUCK as an uber driver, you should be doing about 4-5 if you are doing minimum distance only
The driver doesn't have as much control over this as you might think. We can drive to likely places where there is more demand on average, but when Uber hires 200 new riders in your city over the course of 1 week without telling you, the amount of ride requests you get can drop off dramatically and unexpectedly, even if you previously could have expected 2-3 rides an hour in a given area. A lot has to do with the weather, too. Old cars tend to have mechanical issues on the first really cold week of the year and the first really hot week of the year. When people's cars are breaking, they need to take Ubers to and from work a lot more. I get a lot less morning and evening commuters during the spring and fall, though.

Imagine living such a sad life that you can't spare 20 minutes to walk to the grocery store. I pity you user, I really do.

How come the company doesn't consider time waiting on someone mid stop? You should be building up money while someone is getting groceries.

Stop projecting. A 20 minute walk to a grocery store isn't 20 minutes out of your day. If you think it is, then you probably have such a vague concept of time management that you put no value on your time. How pathetic of an existence do you have to lead for your time to be so worthless?

Driving to the grocery store:
-5 minutes to get there
-20 minutes inside
-5 minutes to get back
-can stock up on 4 times more food than you can carry by hand
-only have to go to the grocery store once a week (30 minutes, every 6-7 days)

Walk to the grocery store:
-20 minutes to get there
-20 minutes inside
-20 minutes to get back
-can only buy as much food as you can carry in your hands
-will have to return to the grocery store again in about 2 days because you didn't buy enough food (3 hours in a week, 6 times more time spent on this than if you'd driven)

This is why poor people stay poor. You have no concept that you are wasting at least 2.5 hours every week on chores. Time which you could instead be using to better yourself, earn money or do literally anything that you actually want to be doing.
>b-but I enjoy having a "contemplative stroll"
That's how poor people talk when they have no choice but to make the best out of a shitty situation.

Drivers aren't allowed to unionize since we are classified as "independent contractors." We take what Uber gives us.

>can only buy as much food as you can carry in your hands
>will have to return to the grocery store again in about 2 days

How weak are you that you can only carry two days of groceries for 20 minutes?
Pathetic.

If time and carry capacity are that big an issue for a poor person, they'd buy or steal a bicycle for grocery getting.

Cars are fuck oil addicted cucks.

this thread is literally cancer
holy fuck

>make 3 trips in an hour
>get paid almost 15/hour
>still bitching

lol

>Time which you could instead be using to better yourself

Something like, I dunno, getting regular exercise? Did you forget that things like backpacks exist?

>writing lengthy posts chiding other people about not valuing their time while spending yours on Veeky Forums

user I know you're just posting to pass the time while your private jet takes you to your golf course but come on, this is absurd.

>Subcribe to grocery delivery service
>Only $150/year for "free" delivery, meaning delivery costs are basically $3/week
>Save an hour per week instead of essentially paying myself $3/hour to go grocery shopping

>Only $150/year

$12/mo for food?

For that 3$ delivery fee you could get twelve more packets of ramen.

why bother?

you might as well sell your car at that rate

I'd sign up for a service like that. I hate going to the store and having to fight my away around the 60 families and their 7 children clogging up aisles

Wtf is this entire story? A 16 y/o getting lost in a supermarket, having to take a cab there (instead of just walking, like honestly is it that far away?), forgetting half the shit on the list, no cab company being able to find you.

I honestly think there must be some crucial info missing like "brain parasites run in the family" or "we all drop acid" or something.

This is typical white trash or nigger behavior. 2 carts full of frozen food sounds like some welfare shit to me.

Because it is fatty, you are less of a human than a normal person

Yep. That's the state of mass hysteria US culture nowadays. If you take an hour or two to just walk and think, and stop by to pickup some groceries that you're not too weak to carry because you walk around and think, then you're wasting "time." Something happened to this place and the people in it that I just can't figure out.

like 98% of the country has absolutely no problem with that, but you don't hear about them because "they're just dumb yokels ahyuk hyuk hyuk"
SF/LA/NYC cunts are the ones rushing around all the time because it takes 4 fucking hours to commute anywhere because theres so many people and the infrastructure is so trash.

Capitalism. The company needs their cut to be profitable.