Are Space Elevators a plausible idea or will future generations look back on our ideas of them as something they can't...

Are Space Elevators a plausible idea or will future generations look back on our ideas of them as something they can't understand why we would ever think was possible?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_space_elevator
niac.usra.edu/files/studies/final_report/1032Pearson.pdf
researchgate.net/profile/Marshall_Eubanks/publication/260989829_A_Space_Elevator_for_the_Far_Side_of_the_Moon/links/02e7e532f0f4f0c83e000000.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why not just build rockets that reduce air friction instead?

>rockets that reduce air friction

haha bro all you need to do is put a phat ass compressor on the front

Yes it's plausible. We could build one on the moon with materials we have today.

The problem with threads like this one (and that other one about space colonization) is that it's impossible to tell if posts like are just plain old shitposts or if the fags writing them are honestly this retarded.

A space elevator on Earth is less plausible than an orbital ring, and orbital rings are currently being dismissed as completely implausible on this board already. I've never understood the world's fascination with space elevators.

at the moment, they are not possible on earth, due to us lacking a material strong enough
They are however possible on lower gravity bodies, A lunar elevator could be made with Kevlar, for example

we don't currently know how to fabricate a space elevator. we have the materials strong and light enough. the problem is making them into something huge and with insanely tight tolerance.

>we have the materials strong and light enough

This is nonsense.

>we don't currently know how to fabricate a space elevator

This has been solved for decades. I'll give you a clue: You start at the top.

carbon meme materials like graphene, carbon nano tubes, etc.

if an atom is out of place on these meme materials. then the strength drops significantly.

It's not confirmed that they would be strong enough to build one of these, more testing needs to be done on their tensile strength to start designing this shit

Come on, IF they could be built, it would be a lovely cheap way to get mass into orbit cheaply (cheaply after the initial high investment, anyway.) It's not that hard to understand.

I just don't think we're going to be able to build one here. Future breakthroughs may prove me wrong, ut I just don't see the materials technology ever getting to where we'd need it to be.

But if we can get to where we have folks living on the moon or Mars, that will be a huge potential trade advantage for them over Earth, in the long run.

>it would be a lovely cheap way to get mass into orbit cheaply
Except it wouldn't
If you just have reusable rockets thats already cheap as hell

Even if you need to burn 20 times the weight of the payload in fuel, thats still very little

>building a long-ass elevator with memetubes
Do you have turbo autism?

>Rockets
>need fucktons of fuel per rocket
>don't get much payload per launch

>elevator
>can send fucktons of mass up into space without dealing with fuel at all
>requires only energy to function

they are pure science fiction.

Tell me how a space elevator will survive a 1000mph spinning earth

The same way you do

By being close to the ground?

Meteorites kinda breaks the bubble for space elevators.

Fuel isn't expensive. Manning mission control and preparing the mission (work hours) is.

Fucking faggot, we have materials strong enough to build a space elevator on the moon:
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_space_elevator

Here have a NASA study on lunar space elevators:
niac.usra.edu/files/studies/final_report/1032Pearson.pdf

It is you who is the retard.

>the moon
I can also fly (under my own power) on the moon. But the problem is we I'm not on the moon, I'm on earth.

mission control has no mandatory minimum cost
You could do it all with 1 person if you wanted

yes, why not, dreaming is gratis after all

And your argument is what now?

The question was are space elevators plausible? It turns out they are plausible today on the Moon.

My argument? Nigga who the fuck are you talking to? Also again just because something works on the moon doesn't mean it works on earth.

The question wasn't are space elevators plausible on Earth, the question was are space elevators plausible. I'm not arguing that space elevators are plausible on Earth, just that they are plausible on the Moon. Space elevators are plausible on the Moon is a valid answer to the original question.

We should build a prototype off world first before we try to deal with the financial political and technological issues that would face a space elevator built on Earth.

There is nothing that could be plausibly built on Mars today. Major engineering projects even less so.

Did I say Mars? No I did not, I said the Moon. Not plausible today does not mean not plausible at all.

We could build one today using materials we have today with a single SLS launch:
researchgate.net/profile/Marshall_Eubanks/publication/260989829_A_Space_Elevator_for_the_Far_Side_of_the_Moon/links/02e7e532f0f4f0c83e000000.pdf

...if the SLS actually worked today. The only construction activity that would need to be carried out on the moon would be drilling into the lunar regolith to hold the anchor in

Define jet engine?

>20 times
Wow. You must know so much about rockets.

Or not. That's a crazy number and is not going to happen with a reusable orbital chemical rocket. Ever. Even with an expendable second stage.

Unless maybe, just maybe, it floats up to high altitude before it lights. Because it's made of a composite structure built atom by atom and actually mostly voids of hard vacuum made and maintained by nanotechnology so advanced that it would be indistinguishable from magic even by relatively intelligent people.

Which, coincidentally, is what we would need to ever have a prayer of making a space elevator that would work for Earth. Luna and Mars? Possible. Unlikely on Mars. Logistically a nightmare even on the moon, but I'm not sure that easy landing on the moon is worth having to land only where the tether mounts are.