Why do we still care about Postmodernism when it was BTFO in the 90s?

Why do we still care about Postmodernism when it was BTFO in the 90s?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokal_affair

>In 1996, Sokal submitted an article to Social Text, an academic journal of postmodern cultural studies. The submission was an experiment to test the journal's intellectual rigor and, specifically, to investigate whether "a leading North American journal of cultural studies – whose editorial collective includes such luminaries as Fredric Jameson and Andrew Ross – [would] publish an article liberally salted with nonsense if (a) it sounded good and (b) it flattered the editors' ideological preconceptions".[2]

>"The results of my little experiment demonstrate, at the very least, that some fashionable sectors of the American academic Left have been getting intellectually lazy. The editors of Social Text liked my article because they liked its conclusion: that "the content and methodology of postmodern science provide powerful intellectual support for the progressive political project" [sec. 6]. They apparently felt no need to analyze the quality of the evidence, the cogency of the arguments, or even the relevance of the arguments to the purported conclusion."

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=42QuXLucH3Q
chronicle.com/article/Anatomy-of-a-Hoax/238728?key=bB4GOexLsAk2KfnFOkgPCI0O5azbXR52m3YJxfcw-igptJkoKi_rn3RCDgSQfq6pc3g5NWVSMTIzSXBPNlRyc3YyVnBuczlCYV82MUNMWXdMY2gxYnNKdEN4NA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This triggers the Veeky Forums

We don't care about postmodernism today but this argument was stupid. There are lots of ways of critiquing continental thought but this is not one of them.

This essay was basically the equivalent of Pissgate. Write a hoax article, watch people freak out. It doesn't mean they are freaking out over nothing. It means that shit is complicated. But a total fucking assbag could seriously believe that the hoax of something they didn't understand and did not want to understand is actually a hoax at all. It is LOL i trolled u memetier silliness by grown adults who really should have known better.

Don't get it twisted. Hysterical postmodernism is retarded. But if S&B wanted to actually further the philosophical project they could have engaged in the arguments like grown-ass men instead of teenagers.

Truth actually is relative. The fact that their experiment 'worked' is actually a pretty clear indication of that. But this is why S&B are such cunts. Because they didn't give a fuck about philosophy: all they wanted was to be right, which is exactly what the poststructuralists were looking into with a great deal more care and circumspection.

If you sneak into a church and take a shit on the altar, does that prove anything? Not really. You weren't struck by any lightning bolts. All it shows is that you couldn't be bothered to raise your head above the ground and look at the stained-glass windows or the masonry or the illuminated texts. Nah. Who cares about that, right?

This is all those retards accomplished.

Positivist detected

>It is LOL i trolled u memetier silliness by grown adults who really should have known better.
>they could have engaged in the arguments like grown-ass men instead of teenagers.
maturity is a social construct

the embracement of memes and trolling are the part of awakening of true intellectualism

we are transitioning into a period of enlightenment but you refuse to take your head out of the sand to see the truth

Postmodernism is fucking garbage. We need to go back to Classicist clarity in art and thought. This is really getting out of hand.

The thing is I actually agree with that. I 100% believe that memes really are what comes after postmodernism. Pomo harping about the difference between 'reality' and 'illusion' &c was closer to that. But to say in pomo wilderness is nonsense.

The point is that S&B did not realize this and refused to engage *with sincerity* with what the pomo guys were doing. They were accusing them of being obscurantist without realizing that there is no going back. Continental philosophy founders in pomo weirdness but they what they should have done was not be critical about this and say, blah blah, it's all a hoax and such. That's fucking stupid. All that does is make the other side bury itself even deeper.

What should they have done? Probably fucking *nothing.* Just fucking stood back and waited to see where all that shit was going, which was memes. Or if they are going to criticize, not do it by means of fucking hoaxes.

That's all. I agree with what you're saying. Pomo stuff is nonsense but so is positivist stuff.

Le sokal paper meme

Friendly reminder STEMtards suffer from this problem as well.

youtube.com/watch?v=42QuXLucH3Q

>Submit a bogus article to a Literal Who of academia over a decade after the heyday of postmodernism
>They publish it, the absolute madmen
>Meanwhile literally every other postmodern text remains uncriticised
>Publishers and academics are supposed to know the objective truth and aren't susceptible to and old-fashioned bamboozling
>Only pomo journals have ever published something bogus
>>POMO BTFO!!!!!

Why would you care about analytic autism OR *modernisms when they were both BTFO in the 1880s?

I've only read rupi kaur through excerpts on lit.

I thought some of her poems were good, unironically, even though they could be false ones written by autists like you.

I sleep fine at night.

Pynchon is hardly PoMo btw

He's a modernist as as much as Joyce

there's always some plebeian trying to shoehorn literature into genre fiction. fie on you lot.

What is the purpose

The problem with idiots like you and Sokal is that you believe you have a choice in the matter. Postmodernism isn't a set of philosophical assumptions one can pick up. It's a culture. It's the grey goop that is covering the world. It's WalMart. It's football stadiums. It's getting your groceries at 7-11. It's racially targeted sitcoms and a real estate mogul cum president. You think you can step outside of postmodernism. But postmodernism is just getting started.

Now of course these things sometimes filter through to a more theoretical consciousness before they really impact themselves in culture at large. So Derrideanism precedes Trump and "post-truth" politics. But the "postmoderns" got things wrong, too. It isn't so much the disintegration of narrative, a la Lyotard, as its total liquidation. Narratives can switch in and out of office as quickly as county representatives, and always project their own seeming eternity. Postmodernism is a name for all these things, for the radical break that started in 1968 with the rapidly degenerating moderns.

Do yall presume the foundation of all is supply and demand, the value of currency, gdp, and so on and so on, the rest is icing and cherries? There is only law, supply and demand, what is owned, what can be owned, what is being done, what can be done and freedom.

>All truth is relative*
>except this statement**
>**except this statement***
>***except this statement****
>****except this statement

I hope postmodernism returns to actual postmodernism as per its Marxist roots instead of marketable irony and is all about art-as-process and hard conceptualism.

>we

What did Postmodernism ever accomplish?

This.

i did not know what postmodernism was before this thread. thanks, Veeky Forums!

I'm afraid you can't just wish yourself back to an earlier understanding of the world. You need to actually prove that the old certainties were correct and that the various criticisms of it were wrong. Not sure that's something that's ever happened, tbph

the sciences wars stuff right?

>has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Simple.

PostModerns argue that there is no singular truths, and those singular truths don't matter, that there are only multiple perspectives, and what is important is how you present that perspective's version of truth.

That is true, but with multiple perspectives, comes multiple truths. And with multiple truths, comes the burden of not presenting them, but fighting for them and demonstrating it through might of power that they are your true version of the truth. Because evolution is a combination of material conditions, plus the amount of faith invested into materializing a particular idea.

There, i have just advanced into *insert name for what comes after post-modernist era*

Iirc they did the same thing just a few months ago with a physics paper

The superior patrician opinion dismisses both POMO sophistry and scientistic-fedora rationalism as unmitigated, undignified bullshit.

where did this pomo = sophistry meme come from?

Why is scientistic-fedora rationalism undignified bullshit?

Is it not an empiric method of finding truth, and a total opposition of the PoMo perspective?

1/Read the Tao Te Ching
2/Compare all available translations
3/????
4/Profit

i'm not interested but topic is ancient and discussed countless times . practically a meme here. nothing new comes out of it.
so

chronicle.com/article/Anatomy-of-a-Hoax/238728?key=bB4GOexLsAk2KfnFOkgPCI0O5azbXR52m3YJxfcw-igptJkoKi_rn3RCDgSQfq6pc3g5NWVSMTIzSXBPNlRyc3YyVnBuczlCYV82MUNMWXdMY2gxYnNKdEN4NA

there you go. you can at least make it more recent