How does he keep getting away with this...

How does he keep getting away with this? Do his followers honestly believe he is the greatest scientist of the modern age?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/fdadZ_KrZVw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

if you disagree with him you're a racist

oblate pearoid is the true shape of earth, blue marbles are photoshop, sorry - Neil

>there are more transcendental numbers than irrational numbers
>there are five 'levels of infinity'

>he is the greatest scientist of the modern age?
No, that's Bill "Castrate your children" Nye.

>When we cure all disease and stop aging

Wow! Really makes me think

i think you missed the point of what he said. it's still kind of stupid though

Are there any modern scientists who aren't a meme?

the ones you don't hear about on the internet, the ones in their offices working

3% apparently.

Real science people don't pay him no mind.

The vast majority of scientists. Somebody was too big of a brainlet to be invited to the circle jerk

He's right though.

If we stop aging and solve all the main causes of premature death, then how will we get rid of all the fucking people?

why would we need to? Fucking fatalists.

>then how will we get rid of all the fucking people?
The government decides on a national age limit (suppose 150 years for the sake of argument), while the elite members of society can purchase additional years for some fee

>No, that's Bill "Castrate your children" Nye.
W-what?

The carrying capacity of the area will be exceeded, the greater the degree to which the carrying capacity is exceed the greater the wealth gap between richest and poorest, eventually enough people will be below the level of wealth required to maintain biological immortality that the system reaches equilibrium.

Next question.

There is a B movie about that called "in time"

Trailer:
youtu.be/fdadZ_KrZVw

enjoyed the concept, however I thought it could've done much better, more than the cliché love interest garbage. But hey, B movie

There is also Logan's Run.

>static carrying capacity
>carrying capacity being succeeded eventually enough people will be bellow the level of wealth required that equilibrium is obtained
>equilibrium
>complex adaptive system
Lmao.
>carrying capacity being exceeded
>not resulting in a positive feedback loop with increased wealth inequality And lowered carrying capacity.
It would look more like picture related. Assuming strictly conservative evolution.
This all runs on the premise that we won't be living in a post apocalyptic hellscape in a hundered years so all of that argument is absurd.
>next question
Did you know you are a brainlet?

That's actually right though. Car crashes are the second cause of death in the U.S.A. behind coronary arteries disease.

You can't cure obsesity, it's not a disease like cancer is. So heart attacks will still be #1.

>mfw these technocratic types think they can stop me from swapping a 460 big block into a 1985 crown vic and shredding rubber

find a fault in his argument

why would people make babies if they know they won't die, or age and need help in their old age, or that the people they love will live forever so they'll never be alone? if some retards still feel the need to procreate they should be sterilized.

seriously, thats called an assumption, sometimes you do it to make a point, even if the assumption doesnt make sense; thats science guys, if you unironically question the assumption, you are not only missing the point, but also a giant brainlet and better get off this board

wtf is he like fourteen years old or what

Isn't then the leading cause of death stupidity?

pic related, its OP

No it's complex causation, something neither you or mike Tyson seem to understand

lol "complex causation". ok dude way to be a total fuck tard.

It racist to not agree with him despite the thousands of african american and african scientist currently in our world that are ignored in favor of this meme lord.

Are people being ironic when they say this? I've never seen him or any of his IFL SCIENCE-type fans pull the race card on him.
Norps come in all shapes and sizes, to reduce all of them to SJW's is paying them too much credit.

maybe the clouds were moving during the snapshot

This guy's pretty good looking as far as downeys go.

>"Trust corrupt governments and hackers with our cars"

Is this a serious question?

is that henry rollins?

He isn't by far the greatest scientist of the modern age. As far as I know the guy didn't even make any significant discoveries.
The reason why I and many others like him is because he is very good at explaining complicated things to people who have never heard of that thing before. He has inspired and motivated thousands.
It doesn't matter if he is smart or not or a good scientist or not. He successfully brings science to the public like Carl Sagan did back in the day.

>dunning krueger effect
>making a bunch of stupid twitter posts
>passing himself off as a scientist to the general public

not worth "popularizing science" desu

pop-sci must be destroyed

If you were to eat a pancake for the first time and after that you love pancakes and make them yourself, and then you find out that first pancake was made of total crap and not like the other pancakes. Would you then hate pancakes? Or would you just be glad that you discovered them even though you discovered them through a lie?

No, but you would hate that initial pancake.

But he showed you that actual pancakes are great. Why not just be thankful for that?

If someone beats you up into a pulp and during your convalescence you meet a hot nurse who becomes your wife, should you be thankful for the beating?
Crap is crap user. I call 'em like I see 'em.

He attracts the type of morons who say "It's science! It's progress! I love science!" without knowing what they're talking about.
People will agree with him just cause he said something that sounds important or cool.

That kind of people only brings science down.

Yes I would. Of course I would. One negative event lead to a large number of positive ones. That one negative event is certainly worth all the positive ones that come after, due to its influence.

Yet as long as he inspires at least a portion of those people to pursue science, and keeps science in the public eye, then he has done more good than bad.

Use a space elevator to shoot them into the sun

You fucking retarded dude?

In your purposed circumstances, if that man had never beaten me, I'd never had met my wife. A beating isn't going to damage me for life, but a wife would benefit me for life (if she was truly good enough to meet my criteria ie communication skills, honesty, personality). Totally worth it. I couldn't bring myself to hate the guy, and I'd be thankful that it happened. He can stop be a dick, but that doesn't change the fact that his action brought me a gift that will last decades.

Stop=still

The beating is still a bad thing, in spite of whichever good consequence may follow from it. You should not be thankful for the harm which is made unto you. What is wrong with you? This is absurd.

>Your wife cheats on you.
>You forgive her and start communicating more with her.
>Your relationship improves.
>You are thankful that you are cucked.

Rubbish.

You honestly appear absurd to me. You'd rather hold a grudge for life? Forgive and move on. Hell, I'd probably thank the guy for hooking me up if I ever saw him again. In this hypothetical we haven't even established why we were beaten. Did we insult the man? Fuck his wife? Shit on his lawn? I don't know! But I can't say is be angry about it if it meant I met a woman is want to marry.

Leading it back to Niel, he connects normies with science, and hardly does any harm while doing it. Who is he harming by making science sound cool to the uneducated? If he inspires just one young person to go into a field of science and go on to contribute to it, then he's good in my book.

Why would she cheat in the first place if we have an open line of communication and practice using it frequently? Immediately leaping to the idea of cuckoldry. How insecure can you get? How emotionally weak can you be? Letting your mind jump to the first thing you can think of to inspire rage inside of yourself, that's the true cuck mentality. Cucked before any relationship can even start by your own insecurities.

>You'd rather hold a grudge for life? Forgive and move on. Hell, I'd probably thank the guy for hooking me up if I ever saw him again.
Have some gaddamn pride. Where's your dick?
>Leading it back to Niel, he connects normies with science, and hardly does any harm while doing it.
What's good about laymen dogmatically accepting scientific theories they don't understand? It only makes them religious towards science. Tyson, probably because he conducts no research himself, likes to spread nonesense such as there being 'settled science'. I don't want laymen to blindly accept scientific theories. Having a scientific mind requires first and foremost critical thinking, which Tyson does not teach.

It's an example dude, there's no need for your ad homs. And a word of advice - don't think because you communicate well with a woman she can't cheat on you.

Pride is relative, as in, what you might consider pride in this case, I would see as ridiculous and self damaging. My pride wouldn't be harmed by beating beaten, because I fucked up and couldn't win a fight. I'm guessing that your dismissal of my idea of finding a cause for the fight means that you've never actually been in one in your adult life. Still got a rage boner over those school bullies? I don't know, I'm just guessing here.

In a larger picture, getting roughed up wouldn't compare to the joy I would get from meeting my wife. I'd be grateful for the event, and wouldn't really care about the guy, because I have better things to spend my energy on. You know, like fucking my wife and building a life, a stable relationship, and a household.

I'm really getting the idea that you don't care about a larger picture here. You're focusing on the smaller things that might anger you, get a rise out of you, as a source of motivation to continue posting. I'd say the same goes for your ideas on black science man.

You are effeminate. You simply don't understand what it means to be a man.

Someone has been hurt. You poor thing. What you said is just as true with men. So hey, it's best to find a woman who is just as dedicated to keeping a relationship alive, with the work that it entails (and that's a fuck load of work over time), as you are.

If an example is given and it can't hold up under scrutiny, then that example is shit, is it not? That was my whole point, along with getting a rise out of some guys.

Your definition of what it is to be a man sounds like it came from your father's fist on your small child body.

I'm just being realistic, not relating experience. Also, in no way did you scrutinize the example. You simply proceeded to spiral into fallacious reasoning, which you are continuing to do. Ad hominems are not arguments.

My definition of being a man comes from me being a man. You couldn't possibly understand given your lack of a dick.

he lives in fantasyland. also he's black.
the fact people unironically consider him the new Sagan tells us something about the world we live in

you do know it's a coincidence?

> when we cure all disease and stop aging
> not 100% solar-bicycle or better

That would mean we wont have Humans on Mars for at least another 30 years. Fucking hell Neil you hack.

Nah, NASA admits to touching up that picture in photoshop

Maybe if you ask the guy nicely he can beat the shit out of you again since you like it so much. What a good deed

Underrated

>he is very good at explaining complicated things to people who have never heard of that thing before
well who isn't

Joking?

Most scientists are NOT good at explaining or teaching. Feynman was rather uncommon in that he was good at it and even enjoyed teaching. Other Nobel Prize laureates have been atrocious in teaching.

You're both fucking retarded

there's nothing wrong with Bill Nye.
He's cultivating a new generation of traps

he encourages people to make their children go through sex change operations.
Basically he will increase the number of trannies and traps in the market.
It's only a good thing

until then we will start colonizing other planets

can someone explain
i assume hes making a joke or its satire, but i dont get it.

Because its twitter. The things smart people say on twitter nowadays are the sorts of dumb little bits of speculation that they once reserved for dumb conversations with the brodies and undergrads at the pub.

Also, have some sympathy and bear in mind that his target audience is the american public.

>most scientists
Most acedemics in general.

I remember there being some Einstein quote where he says something like "if you really understand something you'll be able to put it into words," but just baloney. The people who rise to the top of the class are people who understand the subject through itself rather than through language. Thus the people with the most intimate understanding end up having some of the worst explanations, unless they're explaining it to someone who also "just gets it".

you cant stop aging w/o sacrificing your humanity duh

degenerate filth. hop on your big gay rocket and fly off into space already

are you trying to stop the production of cute traps?

>Doesn't like space exploration

The calling card of a weak intellect.

He said "when," not "if" or "supposing."

Good sentiment, needs higher production values.

He's being satirical: I.e there's a lot to worry about solving first(diseases of literally any kind and aging) before worrying about the safety hazards of automobiles, but people are hyping self driving cars way more than medical research and definitely more than stopping aging.

>some Einstein quote
I think it is this:
>An alleged scientific discovery has no merit unless it can be explained to a barmaid

I have seen something similar credited to Feynman.

Can't extrapolate today's data to a distant future. Other forms of death may become more popular than car crashes

Neil "If her age is on the clock, she's ready for a Mars walk" Tyson

even The Dark Lord is surprised

is he implying we'll cure all diseases and give ourselves immortality before we have self driving cars

LMAO that made me laugh more than it should

He is, we already have self driving cars that can drive across USA/EU mostly unassisted. However we won't cure ageing for at least another 30 years.

For one we're far closer to self autonomous automobile (ironic name btw) than to literally curing disease, and age itself

Secondly, even if it were reversed, it's obvious and definitely not profound thinking.

basically he said that gender =/= sex and then /pol/ went apeshit and believes that he wants to bring about what they call "white genocide".