Let's talk induction: is it a meme or a legitimately better way of cooking? Does it even change anything...

Let's talk induction: is it a meme or a legitimately better way of cooking? Does it even change anything? I'm switching to it from gas soon, and I wanted to hear Veeky Forums's opinions. Have you guys ever tried it?

>Switching away from gas
You offend me

>is induction an element of a culture or system of behaviour passed from one individual to another by imitation or other non-genetic means?

I'm in the process of moving, and I got an offer for an induction stove for cheap. Since the price of gas is rising quickly in my country (we get a lot of it from Russia an all those sanctions ultimately reflect on taxpayers) I decided to give it a shot.

It's nice

Works really fast

Induction is a LOT more responsive than old elements, and cool when there's no pan on it, but you can only use certain cookware with it. When my grandparents changed to it, half their stuff had to get sold cause it just didn't work.

Gas is still better in general, but induction is safer and cheaper running costs, while still being pretty good.

i have an induction cooktop and i quite like it

they can vary wildly in quality it seems so i'd be wary of one "offered for cheap"

look for reviews on the internet, regarding especially how the one you're looking into getting does a simmer which seems to be a good indication of quality

hahahaha, he took the literal meaning of the word meme and replaced it in op sentence hahahaha

top notch, groundbreaking stuff

It's decent. Heats up fast, and lets you have good temperature control.

Pros:

Induction tips are easier to clean.

Pans will heat super fast. Cast iron responds very well to induction.

With most materials aside from cast iron, the temperature control is almost instant. The response to raising or lowering temp will take some getting used to since you can't count the time the pan takes to heat up for prep.

It uses less electrify that other electric heat element tops.

Temperature reading gives you a better notion than going for a vague medium-low setting.

Cons:

Some people find it annoying that it automatically shuts off if you remove the pan. I find that keeping part of the pan on the plate while I lift compensates, but still.

No flame means no scorching. Something nice to have.

And the big one....not all pans are compatible, specifically aluminum and copper, the most heat responsive materials used in cookware. Now, their benefits in control are compensated for by how induction works of ferrous metals, but the heat distribution is still important. This can make some induction capable pans pricey.

It's cheap because it's on sale. There's a new model that's like in the OP (single heating surface) but I'm getting the old one with just 4 "fires"

Thanks user. The fast heating and temperature control are part of what got me hooked. The cookware is indeed pricey, the sales lady showed me €400 worth of cookware to replace my current set which I inherited for free, but Amazon has a similar set for € 250 so I may just get that... I'm kinda worried about getting shitty cookware but I'm not going to spend €400 just on pots either

Do you heat your house by running your stove? Otherwise it's not going to matter.

Induction is better than heating coils but it can't put out the power of gas.

Protip:

Cast iron and carbon steel are great for induction. And cheap.

Get a non stick with a steel base and you're set.

>it can't put out the power of gas
what is this stupid point?
it doesn't need to, because it's more efficient

I just ignored it.

>since you can't count the time the pan takes to heat up for prep.
top kek this

I have a portable induction cooktop that can be adjusted between 400W and 2000W. It is really great and heats up things super quickly. but my biggest peeve is that the temperature control in the low range is really poor. Even the lowest 400W setting will cause a lot of water to evaporate if you boil a pot of potatoes for as little as 20 minutes, even if it a big pot. That is a lot of wasted energy. Let's not even talk about letting stock simmer for hours, or making delicate stuff like pudding. It is a cheap pice of crap though, maybe the really good cook tops are better at that.

Induction is great for cooking soups, pasta, potatos, basically everything that needs to be boiled; but for me I prefer gas stove for cooking meat as it offers more heat control... If you can I suggest you get a combination (2gas/2 induction) stove

Went from old electric stove, to newish electric stove, to gas and then to flexinduction.

Gas was best but my new apartment doesn't have any has pipes. Induction is absolutely great if you know how to handle it. Fast, energie efficient and flexinduction let's you use any potsize on the whole field.

Just don't expect old people being able to handle it.

Fuck that.

Bought one for my mother who is 73.

She loves that shit.

yeah i was talking to my gran about it
discussing pros and cons because she wants a new electric stove. i think she's gonna go for it

On one hand you won't die from a gas leak with an induction oven but on the other hand you might have to spend a hundred bucks on cookware....argh, such a difficult choice!

if you don't already have some ferrous metal cookware you're a plebian faggot who doesn't belong in this thread

For me, it's about portability. We often cook hotpot at the table, and IH makes it easy to do so.