Friendly Reminder to abandon Academia and obtaining a Literary degree in favour of self-eduction

Friendly Reminder to abandon Academia and obtaining a Literary degree in favour of self-eduction.

Other urls found in this thread:

sci-hub.cc/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

reminder that women are inherently inferior to me

May you prove that with evidence obtained through your self-educative resources or will you die like the pleb you are?

>t. butthurt roastwhore who thinks with her feels instead of rationality and logic

I'm not a Positivist Pleb, so no.

Yes, you should remind yourself because all evidence points to the contrary.

This to be altogether honest desu

The university will quite literally not exist in twenty years time, at least for the humanities.

>eduction

I see that's working out fantastically for you.

Go back to Ribbit if simple mistakes trigger you.

THE UNIVERSITY OF THE WORLD IS A SELF-WILLED UNIVERSITY!

A COLLECTIVE CONSCIOUSNESS OF MAN, BOUND TOGETHER UNDER THE BELIEF THAT EDUCATION CAN BE MOULDED BY THE SELF, THE SELF WHICH PERMEATES THROUGH ALL THINGS, THROUGH ALL MEN.

Unsense, OP. Unsense total.

Asking you why? I am Academia now, to obtaining Literary degree. Formerly I am self-eduction, but oh come on, pic related seeing (it is tutor, my eyes opening, looking manfully horizon at for coolness).

Academia eduction is best eduction, come face me if you are a disagreement. Can we are talking Books, Histories...very debatable.

Formerly I am regard for self-eduction more profitably. To me tantamount now is honestly to bleh.

Where are you, friend?

We shall discuss God and Philosophy! Give me a time and a place.

We have access to more knowledge than ever before and the grand majority of people prefer to watch TV, play video games, and have sex with strangers. A university degree doesn't show that you learned anything, it shows that you are able to show up to at least a majority of your classes, turn assignments in, and read and write (since graduating high school doesn't require you to be literate anymore).

As an engineering student, I took 3 semesters of calculus. That is, I had to study calculus for a year and a half and pay something like $2000. I could have ordered a used textbook for $15 and taught myself it in a few months, without the hassle of going to classes and listening to a shitskin do examples.

just did the math, it actually costed $5000 dollars for 3 semesters of calc (5 credits each)

>As an engineering student, I took 3 semesters of calculus. That is, I had to study calculus for a year and a half and pay something like $2000. I could have ordered a used textbook for $15 and taught myself it in a few months, without the hassle of going to classes and listening to a shitskin do examples.

Could have done it for free using Libgen and DOUBLED your knowledge in the same time using lecture time for self learning.

You literally wasted 1.5 years of your life! JUST!

it's almost as if learning from experts has some sort of benefit to it

5000 DOLLARS OF DEBT TO LEARN SOMETHING YOU COULD HAVE LEARNED FOR FREE!

YOU COULDN'T MAKE IT UP!

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

The same experts that give you a reading list?

Why would I go to University to obtain a reading list to buy books for when I could download the books for free or buy them second-hand for 1$?

Sorry, I don't listen to retards.

Good thing this thread is written.

Idiot!

I've seen what self-taught art historians can do and it is not pretty.

That's not to say self-teaching can't be done, but one person being able to figure it all out by themselves is an extremely rare thing.

Going to the library just won't cut it.

OP you are?

Excuses, but originalposting sounds you are... Different. Fresher post is uncertain of grammaticles and syntactulates (if am to Boldly nuance this). Now it is to understand, more difficultingly...

So pardonings but am preferential in Academia-eduction for conversation, your knees are showing unkindly.

Hmm, stroke-chiningly...is maybe a Ruse, of cleverly. Abounding in uncertainty, which Philosopher is of us? Ahahaha...it is a trick, a "fish-in-helmet," comparably.

Academia eduction too strong is for self-eduction! Books and food I have greatly, for you it is nothing.

Defining 'philosophy,' all over the place...a move is yours. Pic related seeing, it is 49 Montana Joe, always to completion.

They also structure courses (and the reading, as determined by what they view as essential to the course) and assessment in a way that gives you incentives to learn and think about particulars in the material that you might not consider by yourself if you were left to your own devices.

Also humanities courses rely a lot on journal articles. Unless you can find the articles for free you'd have to at least fork out some money for a subscription to digital archives.

>Also humanities courses rely a lot on journal articles. Unless you can find the articles for free you'd have to at least fork out some money for a subscription to digital archives.

sci-hub.cc/

All the reading lists for courses are published on all Public University websites for free, available to the public. There is literally no reason to go to University when you can work or live with mummy for free.

Science articles?

And yes recommended reading for a basic overview of the course is available but not for specific lessons, which is the stuff that actually matters.

>Science articles?

That website I linked contains all Journals articles published, It is all you'll ever need.

Lessons are literally made up of summary powerpoints of things which are more proficiently explained in the actual text.

You would be surprised at the amount of professors who use Wikipedia for their lectures.

Also, tutorials/seminars are entirely pointless. You literally sit there for 1 hour having to listen to all the idiots commenting on their own interpretations of a text, misinterpreting them wildly and wasting an hour of your own time watching the Professor go around the table listening to the opinions of brainlets.

It would bring me great joy to watch all Universities brought down. I would take an ecstatic joy in watching academia destroyed and replaced with self-education and autodidactism.

Soon it shall come!

>It is all you'll ever need.

Only if you actually know what article you want.

>in the actual text.

What text? The survey text that is recommended as a reference? This isn't true.

>Wikipedia for their lectures

None, in my experience.

>idiots commenting on their own interpretations of a text, misinterpreting them wildly

So why do you have so much faith in self-teaching? The kind of person who engages with the professor (or the tutor) in a tutorial is the kind of person who would succeed at teaching themselves. The difference is there is actually a person knowledgeable in the subject to bounce ideas off, discuss things further, ask for further reference material, etc.

I'll acknowledge that there is a problem in academia and I agree that people should have a greater engagement with material and actual 'thirst for knowledge', but I don't think the answer is a turn to individualism; I think it's the exact opposite.

>Only if you actually know what article you want.

You can easily discover articles and recommendations online. Just go to any Jstor article or NCBI, take the number and insert it to Scihub.

>None, in my experience.

If they didn't use Wikipedia, they used a book, if they used a book, you can get it for free without the University. Explain to me again why you should go to University?

>So why do you have so much faith in self-teaching? The kind of person who engages with the professor (or the tutor) in a tutorial is the kind of person who would succeed at teaching themselves. The difference is there is actually a person knowledgeable in the subject to bounce ideas off, discuss things further, ask for further reference material, etc.

>I'll acknowledge that there is a problem in academia and I agree that people should have a greater engagement with material and actual 'thirst for knowledge', but I don't think the answer is a turn to individualism; I think it's the exact opposite.

I am not advocating individualism. I am advocating collectivisation with a focus on the individual, as in, people individually educate themselves through all the texts and articles they read, and then collectively organising that information with one another e.g. Wikipedia.

I have faith in self-teaching because I know it works. The majority of Programmers are self-taught. I myself am self-taught in a variety of Literature and Philosophy, so much so that even attending Graduate-level meetings/events was worthless to me as I already knew the information beforehand.

I agree with you that you need someone to bounce things off which is why I also advocate using forums, chat groups etc.

all of you are fucking deluded

t. butthurt University student 50,000$ in debt

you still don't see it

>You can easily discover articles and recommendations online.

Whether they are relevant or supplement the material you have already read is another issue entirely. It's not that 'easy' to essentially create for yourself a semester-long course on a subject, especially in the humanities where it's not as fixed as programming. Even human languages are difficult to learn on your own.

>they used a book

They used multiple books and articles, only selected because they have had the benefit of reading even more books and articles, and being able to exclude those which are not wholly relevant.

And not all books are available online or cheap. Granted you can just use your local university library and just not take books out but still you need to learn what you're looking for.

>collectively organising that information with one another
>I have faith in self-teaching because I know it works

It works for some people. For those people that it doesn't work with, they have institutions. For everyone else you only need to look at your own characterisation of tutorials to see how it doesn't. And those are with professor help.