Start reading this book to make fun of it

>start reading this book to make fun of it
>discover that it has some valid points
>the author herself is not comfortable with the term "mansplaining", coined after her essay
>sees feminism as a civil rights issue (rape, killings, etc), to which any man could relate

I was positively surprised with this book (read half of it yesterday). Not super deep or anything, but explains a few interesting ideas in a very clear way.

Anyone else read it? What did you think about it?

Other urls found in this thread:

livetradingnews.com/indian-government-official-blame-mass-nye-rape-women-25068.html
veda.harekrsna.cz/encyclopedia/divorce.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Feminists are the result of a decline in domestic violence. Letting women vote was a mistake as well.

>>sees feminism as a civil rights issue (rape, killings, etc), to which any man could relate

So...just like every other feminist book out there?

You're going to have to shill this a little better if you want to trick Veeky Forumsizens into reading it.

Rape isn't a civil right issue, rape is a human universal, like dancing, speaking, loving, fighting and so on.

It's true, but how would you sell it?
No one is going to buy it.

>>sees feminism as a civil rights issue (rape, killings, etc), to which any man could relate
This is one of the dumbest and most incoherent things I've ever read.

Exactly. Which is why we need to teach men not to rape.

>it's going to be another hundred-replies thread in which no one has read the book in question but react with arguments based on what they assume the premise is
are any of you even here to discuss literature

> We have far more than eighy-seven thousand rapes in this country every year, but each of them is invariably portrayed as an isolated incident. We have dots so close they're splatters melting into a stain, but hardly anyone connects them, or names that stain. In India they did. They said that this is a civil rights issue, it´s a human rights issue, it´s everyone´s problem, it´s not isolated, and it´s never going to be acceptable again. It has to change. It´s your job to change it, and mine, and ours.

Teach a man not to breathe.

>Not super deep or anything, but explains a few interesting ideas in a very clear way.
like what?

>but each of them is invariably portrayed as an isolated incident.

Which it is. Nobody views positive things happening as a result of individual actions as a group or social phenomenon.

This is the most annoys shit about feminists. They just cannot for the life of them view anyone as individuals. All they see is the "Sisterhood".

annoying shit*

>dumb feminist opinion
>literature
Nice try, roastie.

Are you fucking retarded? In the West rape has been condemned as one the worst crimes for ages. Muh rape culture, consent, etc. are all meme notions that have nothing to do with reality. In the real world, muslims and niggers are the rapists. Not the average white guy.

>so edgy
>back to /pol/
You know im right.

The condescendent attitude of some men towards women (it happens to me, I judge a book more harshly if it´s written by a woman, for example).

The idea that violence against women is not different from violence against backs, or jews, or any other group: it has a cause and is not a series of isolated incidents.

The idea of same-sex marriages influencing the roles in traditional marriages.

I mean, none of them is mind-blowing, but I personally found them quite interesting.

>implying it isn't just bait to make threads about feminism to begin with

Nah man. Positive things can also be the result of a social phenomenon. And that is acknowledged (example: the number of women with university degrees is a series of individual achievements with a direct cause, which is the emancipation of women).

Of course there is no rapist conspiracy (which is what some dumb feminists seem to believe), but there may be a cause that triggers most of them. It may not be the idea that men feel that a woman´s fate belongs to them (as the author believes), but perhaps something else (the dark nature of the human soul? idk).

>School of Resentment

NO

DISCERNIBLE

TALENT

The point is, whatever information gained about a group is simply the individual actions of it's members.

The way the woman who wrote that book is framing it, is that rape is somehow not an individual action, it's a misogynistic ghost that lives within the category known as "men".

>it's another bait thread disguised as a literature discussion of a book no one is obviously going to read so the OP is legitimized in spouting his garbage

Daily reminder that men are raped about as much as women on average. However, this is not reported in the stats because most countries define rape ''penetrating'' so if a chick, for instance, drugs you and rides you to orgasm, that's not considered rape but some other term.

If you add up all the numbers, the number between women and men is quite close.

Yeah but the problem is that men are usually raped by other men.

Show some proof

i'll rape you for proof

>confirmation bias
It's only interesting because you heard about this shit on Reddit and can now go back and say you read it for karma

Fuck off

Of course not. It's mental to come here for anything but the memes and banter.

Philosophy threads are usually okay. I thought this would be one of them but, well, 'twas wrong.

>wah wah it's reddit tier get it away from me please
Cry some more lil bitch

>wants an okay thread
>indirectly wants to get people to agree with him but also attack feminism so he can defend it

Hey, pal, I uh- I've got some news for...

Am I wrong? I mean, I'm not going to discuss it beyond it being anything more than a cry for attention and a woman trying to come across as rational.

If you want to stay here, I can't stop you, but please stop with the feminist shit. It has no bearing on literature or philosophy and really shouldn't be talked about on this board.

I did that for another thread and the op didn't even bother.

Go look it up on your own

>In India

Did you know that India has some of the most intense abuse / harassment laws in the world? At least from what I know. A guy asked a nurse out at a hospital he was visiting and that alone landed him a visit from police because he was a stranger.

I'd rather not have a police state where men are guilty until proven innocent.

i only read good books sorry

Trying to ridicule him for stating the truth wont work here.

Eh? Why not you bigot!?!?? Jesus Christ! I can't take this kind of mental barrage anymore! I'm objectively right and the sooner you goddamned men start realizing this the sooner we'll be in a utopia

I think Paglia's selling it pretty well, desu:

Men strike women for quite another reason: because physical superiority is their only weapon against a being far more powerful than they. The blow does not subordinate; it equalizes. Aggression expresses itself in more than one way in the cycle of domestic violence (which includes underreported husband-battering). The polemical tactic of exhibiting garish mugshot photos of women’s bruised faces evades the real issue. What led up to that moment in the emergency room? A video camera recording the episode before and after the assault would upset the received black-and-white view of male ogres and female martyrs. This is not to excuse men for their scurrilous behavior; it is to awaken women to their equal responsibility in dispute and confrontation.

Wrong. Women can do NO wrong

i gotta get off the internet

>normie girls get mad at me for not being aggressive enough when dating them
>all my art school friends always sharing articles about how men are too aggressive and rape culture is scaring them

I don't know OP. I was very positively surprised by "Fat is a feminist issue", by lesbian Jewish author Susie Orbach. It just opened my eyes to the fact that being fat is an act of rebellion against beauty standard that symbolizes the ambiguous nature of the mother daughter relationship, which unwittingly recreates the position of subjugation of women in the context of a capitalist patriarchal system.

It made me realize my degree is shit.

>men's only weapon is their physical superiority
Is this a joke? Men are superior than women in every way except child bearing.

Yeah, this is gonna sound edgy, but women can be manipulative as fuck when it comes to playing off of men's aggression. My older sister, when we were both teenagers and she got angry for whatever bitchy reason, would more or less try to provoke me into hitting her so she could paint herself as a martyr. "Oh, are you going to hit me now?" etc. She knew I was physically far stronger than her and could beat her into a bloody pulp if I really wanted to, so she masochistically denied that it had any true bearing, claiming a greater moral power beyond any physical one ..

fucked up shit, mane

Feminists overrate the male ability to prevent crime. We haven't even been able to eradicate crime against white males.
The best we can do is punish it after the fact.

>>fucked up shit, mane
no, it is smart from women. men do not like to get what they deserve, but they always fail

WHITE MEN ARE SUPERIOR TO WOMEN

DON'T BE BLUEPILLED. TAKE PRIDE IN BEING WHITE AND MALE

>Superior "than"

I know you're memeing but at least put a little effort in, cuck

>it´s a human rights issue, it´s everyone´s problem, it´s not isolated, and it´s never going to be acceptable again. It has to change. It´s your job to change it, and mine, and ours.

I already voted for Trump. He's going to deport the Mexicans and Muslims. I've been writing letters to him trying to convince him to get rid of the Indians and to create internment camps for blacks and Puerto Ricans. So I have done my part to reduce the number of rapes.

>but women can be manipulative as fuck when it comes to playing off of men's aggression.
thats called being smart user

i get mansplained to as well, but i am a man

i also mansplain to other men, do women not get that this is just a thing guys do? we try to one-up each other constantly

>female """intelligence"""
How does it feel to know that women are mentally on the same level as children?

>sees feminism as a civil rights issue (rape, killings, etc), to which any man could relate
I see nazism as a culture issue (mass physical exercises, social institutes, family values, etc) to which any jew could relate

There's no need to be upset

bro, the fact that manspreading was even a thing shows that these airheads have no idea what's it like to be a man.

Yes, it's smart, but it's petty and cruel, too. Even I don't have that same amount of a lack of pride that, if I was pissing off some dude way stronger than me, I would provoke him into beating me for martyr points and just to piss him off.

Basically, what I'm saying is, I agree with Paglia. Sure, Chris Brown beat the shit of Rihanna, but we don't know how much of a bitch Rihanna was being to provoke it. In fact, I view beating the shit out of someone as more humane than being bitchy. I view myself as being incapable of being as bitchy, cruel, and manipulative as some women I've met in my life have been.

t. Heine

>Rihanna
Not to mention that she probably liked it, filthy masochist she is. Listen to Love the Way You Lie and S&M. On some half-conscious level, she probably WANTED Brown to beat her and provoked him into doing it, then got awesome pity + martyr points from the media for having it happen to her. Then she gets to sing with Eminem about how she "likes the way it hurts"

you're a fucking idiot if you sincerely believe this

If you've spent time in India you would know that "asking a stranger out" is normally "a chubby indian man propositioning a woman for sex". The way lonely men in India flirt - and as a dude they even flirted with me - is not how we do it. It's bombastic and cute at best, but for the most part it's extremely direct and autistic, and a really uncomfortable thing to ask. Not to mention, if you want to talk about "rape culture" then India is pretty much it - woman are literally bartered over at weddings for the price of a few cows (they're left in a separate area while the men negotiate) and gang rape and acts like female immolation is not only very high but not even culturally discouraged in large parts due to the emphasis on shame for the woman to be violated and assumption that she provoked it. I mean, just look at this article: livetradingnews.com/indian-government-official-blame-mass-nye-rape-women-25068.html

And just today a four year old girl was raped and murdered by seven men at the city outskirts. Mumbai is probably one of the most liberal areas of India by the way.

I'm not a feminist at all, by the way. I just think feminists should concentrate their focus on areas of the world like this, and not fucking ivory tower university campuses.

It's frustrating, because the movement is probably going to kill itself without ever achieving anything significant in areas of the world where woman really are treated badly.

Not an argument.
Moar Paglia:

In pondering why a battered woman does not leave, we must remember that gay men with a taste for violent “rough trade” have always paid for this kind of sex. Are women so perfect and angelic that we cannot imagine them having sadomasochistic impulses?

It IS a culture issue:
The current etiology—that abuser and abused come from “dysfunctional” homes—makes little sense when one is also told that 90 percent of all families are dysfunctional. (The best critique of this mushy strain in recent American culture is Wendy Kaminer’s I’m Dysfunctional, You’re Dysfunctional.) Physical violence may be a form of simple catharsis, a ritualistic way of venting pent-up anxieties and hostilities originating outside the relationship. Bloody penitential techniques have pagan as well as Christian roots, notably among the Aztecs and Anatolians. Our culture lacks formal outlets for these universal urges, except in our notoriously violent movies.

>woman wants to get rid of all forms of violence and thereby weaken/cuck Western society
Why am I not surprised

Because deep down you have these urges too, Paglia is just more honest in confronting them.

I'd concede for the sake of argument that Rihanna probably is a sadomasochist to a degree and likely provoked Chris Brown - but to say that a brutal attack is anywhere close to a verbal cat-fight is really tenuous. An attack like that isn't "cathartic", it's infectious, and it's an act that breeds more violence and suffering. People who are happy being hurt are very rarely actually happy people, and all men like Brown do is spread further hurt. An argument can't kill you until you fight, and, if your focus is more on spirit, then domestic abuse leaves much more than just physical scars.

And, to be personal, any man that hits a woman is just a coward in my eyes. That's not some "idealized" fight or glory, there's no equal match up there, it's an abuse of physical power akin to kicking a puppy who loves you. And, if you notice in these cases, it's the children who remember and live out those habits in the next generation.

>woman are literally bartered over at weddings for the price of a few cows (they're left in a separate area while the men negotiate)

Yes, shudra-goyim, better to fall for "love-based" marriage, just look at all this aggressive propaganda of romantic love that we shove in your face, don't you need somebody to love?

[In Kali-yuga] "Men and women will live together merely because of superficial attraction, and success in business will depend on deceit. Womanliness and manliness will be judged according to one's expertise in sex, and a man will be known as a brahmana just by his wearing a thread."

veda.harekrsna.cz/encyclopedia/divorce.htm

>People who are happy being hurt are very rarely actually happy people

Are you trying to mansplain to Rhianna that she's *ACTUALLY* unhappy? What an essentialist piece of shit.

>That's not some "idealized" fight or glory, there's no equal match up there, it's an abuse of physical power akin to kicking a puppy who loves you

But adults aren't puppies, user

>And, if you notice in these cases, it's the children who remember and live out those habits in the next generation

Yes, and? Fucked up women raise fucked up children, stop the presses!

>it's an abuse of physical power akin to kicking a puppy who loves you
Dude, you're the sexist here. Women are puppies who love you?

Women are these weak, fragile, airy and delicate creatures?

No, they can be just as evil, twisted, and sadomasochistic as any man can be, perhaps even more so because their lack of physical strength makes them even crueler and pettier in response. The Nietzschean will to power rules in everything: outright barbarism from the strong, and ressentiment/psychological cruelty for the weak as a form of revenge against the strong.

So are you saying, if woman are weaker than men, they are smarter as a result?

No, where'd you get that from? Unless you call being cruel and petty smart.

the problem is that's how we count male rape. imagine the uproar if we only counted females to be raped if there had been anal penetration. if you count female on male rape, men become the most likely to be assaulted by either gender at any age. one of the scariest things about all this is that female pedos and hebophiles are a massive problem, and are often given far less supervision because laws aren't written to regard a female 30 year old sucking on a 4 year old's dick in the same way they are to prevent 30 year old males from doing the same thing.
politely saged, but rape/violence as a feminist issue really overlooks good statistical gathering for rape and violence. men are more at risk, in part because women insist they act as a buffer to these things and do not hold women to the same standards of legal obligation.