Translingual prosody thread

Why don't we have a thread comparing and discussing the prosodic features of our native language? I'm mostly thinking of prosodic features of the traditional poetry (including, not only meter, but also things like rhyme, alliteration, or pitch cadence as in Classical Chinese poetry), but information about the modernist innovations would be cool too. I'm not sure if this should go on Veeky Forums or /int/, but it seems like there are enough people with a language other than English as their mother tongue for this to work. Discussion of classical languages is also more than welcome.

For my part, as a student of Spanish, I know that the traditional prosody is more or less like that of French--i.e., neither stress nor syllable length (which is of course nonexistent anyways) are taken into account, and the only metrical restraints are syllable count and caesurae. I also know that by far the most common Spanish meter is el octavosílabo, just as the most "natural" meter in English is blank verse.

That said, I know that many modernists and proto-modernists imported classical meters (dactylic hexameter, iambic trimeter, etc.), using the stress accent of Spanish. Perhaps the most notable of these (correct me if you disagree) is Rubén Darío, whom I think I like, although I've only read a handful of poems of his since I have to look up a word every other line. That said, my question is, which of these "classical" meters has been the most successful in Spanish, and which is the most "natural"? Is there any particular stress pattern that you think is most natural in Spanish, as iambic is in English?

Other urls found in this thread:

albalearning.com/audiolibros/iriarte/58discordia.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

By the way, if any ESL learners have any questions about the finer points of English prosody (impoverished as it is), feel free to ask.

stop.

Why?

Spanish's "iambic pentameter" would be endecasilabos, not octosilabos. In any case, both take into account stresses, so I don't know why you mentioned it.

Well, I understand that endecasílabo is more like iambic pentameter, but this is what the Spanish Wikipedia says (perhaps you think it is wrong):

Los versos más usados del arte menor en castellano son, por este orden, el octosílabo (el verso más fácil y natural del castellano, ya que coincide con el grupo fónico menor del idioma, por lo cual ha sido usado durante toda la historia de la literatura en lengua castellana)

And also, you're right that there is an accentual component in Spanish verse that I had forgotten, however it is usually less strict than that in English. For example, the article on endecasílabo lists three kinds depending on the placement of only the two main accents. Whereas I would personally say that traditional English verse depends much more on the number of stresses per line and the spacing between them, rather than the exact number of syllables.

Most successful classical metering: refer to the Soneto.
Most natural: To me, being Argentinian, combined octosílabos and decasílabos with licenses (often broken in 7+9, 9+11, etc., with an added syllabe, or even implying a rest taking the space of a missing one), as they are the most used in our folkloric tradition.

This. The endecasílabo is way more prominent in the Spanish high art. I do agree with the OP however, that despite the stress having some importance, it's kind of secondary when compared to the role it takes in the English langue (i.e.: it's not felt as strongly).

That aside, how do you guys feel about rhyme? I often find that asides from the works of some of the true masters, most of the time rhyming in Spanish feels kind of corny or forced (whereas in French, German, or English it comes more naturally).
On the other side, it lends itself much better for long and lyrical phrasing (like Italian or Portuguese), and overall just works better in loose structures compared with some of the other languages (say, for example, I consider it to be the only tongue apart from Japanese where haikus do work).

>yfw you realise russia and ireland rule lit because they pair slender and broad vowel sounds throughout every word of their language just in case poetry arises
>yfw no face because you carry the shame of your romance ancestors

That last thought is very interesting, because the commonplace is that rhyming is natural and easy in Romance languages, whereas in Germanic languages it is much harder to do (whence, for example, Shakespeare's modification of the sonnet). Personally, when I read poems in Spanish, I find the rhyme pretty unobtrusive, and indeed less so than in English, but of course I'm not a native.

Perhaps it's because you're enamored with the language that you don't know quite as well that you perceive it as having superior prosodic qualities? it's at least interesting that a native English speaker and a native Spanish speaker have inverse ideas about each language.

Actually, some Spanish poets have tried to adapt feet (aka clauses) into their language and, though most have failed, there are some experiments worth highlighting and you're right, Darío is a really good example (he is probably one of the greatest innovators when it comes to Spanish meter) along with Lugones, which was the first poet to try accentual rhythm in Spanish.

Consider the first lines of ''Canción del Jinete'' by García Lorca, which I consider the best attempt so far:

Córdoba.
¯ ˘
Lejana y sola.
˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ˘

Jaca negra, luna grande,
¯ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ˘
y aceitunas en mi alforja.
¯ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ˘
Aunque sepa los caminos
¯ ˘ ¯ ˘ ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘
yo nunca llegaré a Córdoba.
˘ ¯ ˘ ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ˘ ˘

Por el llano, por el viento,
¯ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ˘
jaca negra, luna roja.
¯ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ˘
La muerte me está mirando
(˘) ¯ ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ¯ ˘
desde las torres de Córdoba.
¯ ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ˘ ¯ ˘ ˘
The rhythm is trochaic in the first four and a half verses, as the POV character is riding to Córdoba. Being the trochee the fastest rhythm, this is linked to the speed that the action of riding implies.
Next, there are two peonic clauses ( ¯ ˘ ˘ ˘ ) mixed with more trochees: since peonic are the slowest feet and, along with the trochees, it creates instability and agitation in the pace.
Then, it mixes trochees and dactyles for two more verses, keeping the sensation of speed, but using the calm and slow-paced rhythm of dactyls when talking about death.

Perhaps we've been worn down by an excess of exposure to shitty poetry and prose in our native languages, whereas one usually tends to get only the best referents when reading a foreign tongue.
I know for certain that I've waded through a lot of crap written in Spanish, while in the other languages I tend to go solely to the masterworks.

Don't miss on Leopoldo Díaz and Ricardo Jaimes Freyre if you're into the modernists.

What I'm curious about is blank verse in Spanish. I think I've never read such thing besides ''Arte nuevo...'', have you?

I've yet to read Arte Nuevo, so I can't speak for it, but off the top of my head:

Amor se fue – Macedonio Fernández

4+4 Amor se fue; mientrás duró
6 de todo hizo placer
(4 Cuando se fue
+4) nada dejó [que no doliera.]

Great thread topic, btw! Thanks!

>That aside, how do you guys feel about rhyme?

When I encounter rhymes it cheapens the work. Sometimes, its natural and charming, but for the most part, unenlightened and chicle

Also very limiting.

great post!

>caring about the exteriorization of language at all

Well, turns out it does, let's try some other way:

4+4| Amor se fue; mientrás duró
6||||||| de todo hizo placer
(4|||||| Cuando se fue
+4)||| nada dejó que no doliera.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||^6 - Notice how in this case, the sixth syllabe is implied in a silence (which fits the theme of the missing love).
Also the work on rhythm and stress is truly a beauty to behold.

____

>Décimocuarta poesía vertical – Juarroz

8 Donde siempre hubo una espera
4 ya no hay nada:
9 mi perro me ha enseñado a morir.

7 Nunca escribí su nombre.
7 Hoy tampoco lo escribo.
8 Él no podía decirlo
6 y lo borró con él.

7 La lámpara apagada
6 tiene una claridad
7 que redime el engaño
7 del azar de encenderse.

7 ¿Adónde llega todo
7 si nada lo recibe?

7 Casi sin darme cuenta
7 he encendido una luz
7 sobre el foso cubierto
7 mientras un hueco nuevo
6 que apenas se nota
7 muerde algo más el sueño
7 de creer que vivimos.

Although with some licenses it sicks mostly to the seven-syllabe pattern.

____

>Chacarera de los árboles nuevos – Marechal

Chacarera, cuando plantes
un arbolito en el Norte,
regalarás a la Patria
cien manojitos de flores.

Chacarera, cuando plantes
un arbolito en el Sur,
tendrá el árbol más frescura
y los desiertos más luz.

etc.

There's more on the style by Marechal but I'm drawing a blank here and can't recall where I put my book of his poetic oeuvre.
A lot of Petrocelli's poetry is somewhat in style too, but it almost never sticks thoroughly to a single metric foot, it's always breaking and compensating amongst lines.

___

Well, I'll be damned, I've even resorted to browsing my books but I can't find many proper examples of blank verse in Spanish, even less in the way Milton did, since either it does not rhyme and neither holds it any strict rhytmic structure, or if it does retain a proper form, then the rhyme might in the most extreme cases be delayed, hidden, or implied, but never wholly missing.

Also, I spent a couple of minutes rereading some stuff, and it turns out that rhyme isn't bad per se in our language, it's just that I have spent the last couple of months reading Argentinian poetry and literature from the early colonialist era to the first years of the revolution and most of it is shit because nearly all of those writers were a bunch of ignorant troglodytes.

Rhyme is more noticeable than accentual rhythm or metric, specially if it's consonant, so the rhyme kinda ''molds'' the whole poem to it and veils the other effects. That's why the majority of people can't appreciate good free verse.
Thank you!
Lovely poem, thank you very much (Actually, when I wrote , the signs were supposed to match the syllabes, so yes, it does)

Blank stazaic silva by Jose Agustín Goytisolo:

ABSALÓN NO VIO LA ENCINA

(7) ¿Qué haces desventurado
(11) mirando por encima de la grupa
(11) de un mulo exhausto entre el boscaje ido?

(7)¿Con la cabeza vuelta
(11)y la espada en el brazo tembloroso
(11)qué furia es dueña de tu pensamiento?

(7)¿Al animal tan sólo
(11) confías el regreso hasta tu tierra
(11) por cerciorarte si alguien queda vivo?

(7) ¿Suponiendo que llegues
(11) cómo sabrá Israel quién se le acerca:
(11) si un nuevo rey o un desleal huyendo?

Also there's this fable by Iriarte, though I'm not a huge fan of his work:

albalearning.com/audiolibros/iriarte/58discordia.html

Coincidentally ,I bought a book called La Poesía Chilena Actual not too long ago (I started getting into Chilean culture musically not too long ago, with Parra and Jara). There are some truly wonderful examples in there, but I still have to buy some books and dig deeper into them.
Goddammit, there's just too much good literature and too little time to read it all.

Agree on Iriarte, it's nothing special.

Never even heard of Goytisolo. Very nice poem, the choice of words and rhythm fits really well with the theme, and being that I have a soft spot for biblical tales and cancioneril poetry, I can't help but love it. Any particular book of his you recommend as a starter?

___

Do we have any writers in here, by the way? Show your poems.

>blank verse in Spanish

Piedra de sol, by Octavio Paz, is in endecasilabos sin rima. Primero sueño, by Sor Juana, is in silvas but is consistent throughout.