Friend asks what I've been reading

Friend asks what I've been reading.

I say Dostoevsky, it's actually good shit.

>oh user, now you're just being pretentious xD

I don't get it, how can I be a snob when his work is in every fucking bookshop?

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymotion.com/video/x2epyza_stewart-lee-harry-potter_fun
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You're a snob unless you just say you're reading through Harry Potter for the 100th time.

get better friends

Because you're a dumb cunt and they can sense it.

follow this.
Fuckin facebook and dumb friends started a disdain for youth in me.
Then I found other people and realized how harmful an echo chamber can be.

Why do I get looked like I'm worse than Hitler if I say I dislike Harry Potter? I thought it was okay but nothing amazing normies make it out to be.

Harry Potter is fucking garbage.
This sums it up nicely:
dailymotion.com/video/x2epyza_stewart-lee-harry-potter_fun

If you care what normies say read Stephen King and Harry Potter and maybe Michael Crichton

Because it's a children's book for children. Adults who think it's a great literary work are probably mentally handicapped

because everything dostoevsky wrte except notes was boring as hell shit

Russians are like blacks in the sense they can't shut up about muh russian soul, which from what I can tell, has something to do with being miserable all the time

Because some people are intelligent enough to see through his wankery and realize he has nothing useful to say.

Don't forget Dean Koontz and Dan Brown for your more underground normies

Dostoevsky is overrated.

not him but 1000 page temper tantrums over moral relativism are not fun or smart

Overrated and actually being bad are two different things

Overrated amongst whom?

Stop hanging out with retarded people.

Fuck off

the raters

>overrated = has nothing useful to say

got it

Why is it that whenever you criticize Dostoevsky you get a pack of rabid wolves nipping at you? I swear, Dostoevsky fanboys are the worst.

fIGHT ME.

dOSTOEVSKI IS CONSIDERABLY BETTER THAN tOLSTOI. hE IS OBJECTIVELY THE BEST rUSSIAN WRITER—AND THE rUSSIANS ARE GOOD AT WRITING.

yOU'RE NOT SHITTING ON HIM BECAUSE YOU'RE JEALOUS. i'D NEVER SAY SOMETHING AS STUPID AS THAT. yOU'RE JUST SHITTING ON HIM TO MAKE YOURSELF EVER-SO-SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT FROM THE NORM.

YES, i KNOW THIS IS ALLCAPS. bUT i'VE STARTED IT NOW AND i CAN'T BE ARSED TO REWRITE IT.

Dostoevsky is a good novelist but his fans are insufferable neckbeards.

Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy are both fucking mediocre.

Andrei Bely shits all over them both.

Because a lot of the criticism is worthless, like this:

bely is pretty fucking awesome, i gotta say, the endless human myriapod and all that.

Youre right. What does this have to do with Dostoyevsky though?

My friends haven't even heard of him

You're probably better off that way.

Oh wait, they didn't study at school?

>Friend
stopped reading there

>Andrei Bely
I want to get into him, only read Petersburg, are his other works worth reading? Also are the English translations of them good?

Lately, I've been reading stuff by Andreyev and some stories by Gogol and Isaac Babel. All pretty good, too

I've only read Petersburg but I think fans of Dostoyevsky would love it a lot as I see it like an experimental version of Crime and Punishment. I need to see if his other works are translated in English.

Goodreads says that they are and this is why I was asking, I'm usually against reading Russian lit in English, but only Petersburg was published in my language (it's slavic, so it's really similar to Russian)

I was praising him you dongle.

They ignore the nonworthless criticism, so why bother?

At least your friends know who he is
At least you have friends

When do you ever see non-worthless criticism of Dostoevsky on this board? It's rare enough seeing it for any writer, let alone a specific one.

mfw Dosto is now Veeky Forums's "Death Grips"

>caring about what other people are reading on a taiwanese cuckoldry forum

it's not that they're reading him, it's the fact that I have to witness this disrespect of him

deboer has some insight on stuff like this:

>It’s my observation that the smart kids that write our culture – not at all restricted to the media or academia, but the larger mass of people who were the high achievers in high school, the people who were in the top reading group and who got National Merit Scholarships, and who now do so much to define our shared cultural assumptions and conventional wisdom – have developed a strange and unhealthy relationship to being smart and having knowledge. Ours is a culture of cleverness, not of knowledge, one that is far more comfortable in assessing wit than in assessing evidence. It is disdainful of the idea that being an intelligent person requires spending hours reading books, slowly absorbing complex ideas, waging war on your own ignorance through attrition. It presumes that you should be well-read but is distrustful of the bookish. (It produces a micro-genre of listicles about the books “everyone” has claimed to have read but hasn’t/has started but never finished.) It places a premium on being smart but is skeptical, even contemptuous, of public displays of the work of getting smart. You want to be the kind of cultured person who knows great books intimately, but if you have Proust on your knee on the subway people will roll their eyes at you. That kind of thing: obviously smart but not, like, all tryhard about it. You are expected to work out relentlessly to train your body and to show everyone that effort, but your intelligence must be effortless, even accidental.

Ukrainian?

Another great thread

Veeky Forums is an afghani carpet weaving bazaar.

There's not enough time in your life to read sub-par literature. Ignore the ignoramuses.