Why can't you just wear an oxygen mask in space? Why do you need a pressure suit?

Why can't you just wear an oxygen mask in space? Why do you need a pressure suit?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/9q5gEZGoBnk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decompression_sickness
huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/28/man-survives-life-threate_n_628162.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstellar_medium
youtube.com/watch?v=KO8L9tKR4CY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byford_Dolphin
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebullism
youtube.com/watch?v=bWd31AefKns
businessinsider.com/how-long-human-survive-outer-space-without-spacesuit-2017-5
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

nigga we can't even walk outside when it's too cold without clothing

yeah but space isn't cold

Your skin is pretty airtight, that's not the issue.
It's about temperature regulation.
Day side, you're will cook alive (really fucking fast), night side you will freeze to death (eventually)

No you wont

the solar radiation hits one side of you at full intensity and fries you to death. The side of you in the shade is exposed to the vacuum of space and its near absolute zero temperature.

please disagree and tell me about how NASA is a hoax, the earth is flat, and whatever other gibberish constitutes your cosmology.

Yes you will.
Short term heat transfer in vacuum is effectively a one way street.
If you were floating naked in orbit and sun was up, you would be taking all of it's radiation with no shielding and you would have no way to give it away. Immediately, you would feel like going outside on the hottest, most humid day you've ever lived through. You would start sweating buckets, but the sweat would have nowhere to go and you would get covered head to toe in a layer of your own juice. The fluid would allow sun's radiation through to your body, but wouldn't radiate it outside nearly as much, amplifying the heat up even more. After few minutes your body would go well past life threatening fewer levels of temperature and organ failure would soon follow.

On the night side, you would most likely still die from your own body heat having nowhere to go, before you froze though.

earth is a rhombus pls respond

>covered head to toe in a layer of your own juice
the low pressure vacuum of space would cause the sweat to spontaneously vaporize
youtu.be/9q5gEZGoBnk

would it still stick to your body?

Try to put your vacuum machine hose up your anus. Thats how space without a suit feels like!

Space is a vacuum retard

if you're too cold your body will just shiver

if you're too hot you'll sweat, which will instantly evaporate and cool you down

did you skip grade 8 biology or something?

ur gonna shit under 1.01x10^5 pascals of pressure, it ain't good

Skin might be airtight but you'll swell up from the pressure difference unless you have a mechanical counter pressure suit.

okay so you swell up, so what

uhh... yes it is

no, the gravitational force of attraction between your mass and the mass of the vapor is negligible.

no it isn't

Your lungs are not meant to deal with a pressure differential of >=1 atmosphere. They wouldnt be able to contract to get the CO2 out if you just had a mask or helmet on. Among other problems of being exposed to vacuum. Not to mention the extreme temperatures out there.

>implying that the temperature gradient is mild enough to be handled successfully by shivering and sweating.

you funny

is 3K cold enough for you?

Can you please tell me what space is made of?

You would die in about half a minute due to the pressure difference between you and the vacuum of space. The liquids in your body would boil instantly, killing you.

>how ... like!
Should be what ... like

scarce hydrogen and helium, why?

your bum hole fills with space poison and kill you

Because depressurization will kill you.
If you are wearing an oxygen mask, first thing that happens is, your lungs will burst. If you arent, your lungs will collapse, blood vessels in it burst, and your lungs will completely dry up similar to freeze-drying. The pressure inside you will inflate your body. Blood Vessels everywhere will burst. Your skin will copletely dry up aswell which will make your skin less stretchable, so it might rip open from the pressure inside you.

Put your mouth on your arm and suck as hard as you can.

Now imagine that, only much worse and over your whole body, and getting all the air sucked out of your lungs too, making them collapse.

it is low temperature but cannot easily conduct heat away from your body

you get an extreme form of "the bends" and die
it can actually happen to you on earth. read this:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decompression_sickness

it would be much worse in space.

the stuff about getting burned alive by the sun is also true. without earth's atmosphere to protect you.

That's incorrect.

Space is not made of hydrogen and helium.

Can you try and get it right with your next answer? Because it already sounds like you've realized why you're a dumbfuck, but apparently you don't want to admit to it.

Space is a vacuum, there is no pressure.

Your body is held together on the basis that the pressure inside it is similar enough to the pressure on earth such that it can be contained by muscle, fat and skin.

In space, the pressure inside your body is great enough that it will want to 'burst' out to fill the vacuum in space. I don't think you'd literally 'burst', but you would suffer rectal and oral prolapse from your guts being 'pulled out'. Any other weak orifice will suffer - your eyes will be sucked out and your ears, nose and genitals will be under immense strain.

A spacesuit is strong enough to maintain an 'earth pressure' inside it without breaking.

huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/28/man-survives-life-threate_n_628162.html

Space is fiction. It only exist in the minds of humanity. We live within a clockwork cage. The oceans are level, and the surface does not move. The ball earth theory and the heliocentric model of the cosmos insults human observation and intelligence.

I love bait.

Explain the sun going under the horizon when its night time. And how people are experiencing day and night at different times in different parts of the world at the same time.
The model can't explain both.

Not him but...

>hydrogen and helium.

Yes it is

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstellar_medium

>The interstellar medium is composed primarily of hydrogen followed by helium with trace amounts of carbon, oxygen, and nitrogen comparatively to hydrogen

is just that the density is extremely low.

>le sun would burn you alive

So if you're on the dark side of the moon you should be fine?

what happens if a piston or multiple pistons brake?

Radiation shielding and pressure maintenance, your body literally can't function in a vacuum because of the pressure difference. Your lungs won't work, your blood won't flow. External fluids will boil off (not internal though, as they're sealed well enough). Also you need a medium to transfer heat into otherwise you'll overheat very quickly, not as quickly as you'll become unconscious and later die, though.
>unconscious in 1-5s
>dead in 30-50s
Then your body will actually heat up a lot after death, eventually it'll disperse and you'll cool/freeze.

here
youtube.com/watch?v=KO8L9tKR4CY

>Also you need a medium to transfer heat into otherwise you'll overheat very quickly, not as quickly as you'll become unconscious and later die, though.
to elaborate on this, a significant part of a 'space suit' is heat maintenance, one one hand, not over heating your body and on the other hand, not over heating the suit itself too.

brainlet detected

How is that going below the horizon?

*sigh* it's not... it's a troll, and you bit.

>*action*
Go back to gia faggot

People can't take large pressure differentials

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byford_Dolphin

It's not the kind of cold you feel in Minnesota. Vacuums may be extremely cold, but the conductivity is so low that you won't notice.

attenuating to normal pressure over and over again would be more stressful than wearing a full suit

Here is an experiment for you brainlet.

Fill a balloon with water and put it in a vacuum chamber.

Imagine the water as your blood, and the balloon as your body.

>pop
get it now?

Your body needs pressure or else you could pop.

>genitals will be under immense strain.

Isn't that the entire point?

Take any part of your body and suck on it for 2 minutes really hard. Take a look at the result and imagine that but much worse and all over your body.

Okay, now understand why you need a space suit faggot.

Also, do I need to mention solar radiation?

Go back to studying for your summer course in business or in some social science.

TFW the pressure in space would make you explode

Space is a vacuum, but not a percect vacuum, trace amounts of gas would be prevalent throughout the universe.

I'm also assuming your the OP of the thread, without that critical buffer zone of atmosphere a intense vacuum is exposed to your skin and due to chemisty your blood will vaporize.

Tldr, space isn't perfect and your blood will boil.

People hurfing and durfing about pressure differential making you explode don't know shit.

The difference between earth atmosphere and space won't make your blood boil inside your veins or your guts explode out your ass.

You would need to plug your mouth, nose, eyes and ears.
Any liquid on your skin or open wounds would freeze near instantly due to evaporative cooling.
But dry skin can handle vacuum pretty well.

The reason low pressure fucks you up on earth is because of the differential. The rest of your body is under 1 atm of pressure trying to force your body into whatever space is under vacuum.

Even out the differential and it's not so bad.

Reduce the pressure of your air supply to 1/3 or so and increase the oxygen ratio and you can probably breath, assuming your mask or helmet is well sealed.

Could you survive with only a air tank and sealed helmet on any planet (except Earth) or moon in our solarsystem?

No.
>Roast on Mercury and venus
>Freeze everywhere else
>Except Io
>Man fuck Io
>Seriously

in that kind of getup, you could literally only survive on earth and mars
mercury would cook you, venus would cook you crispy, crush you and bathe you in sulfuric acid, Jupiter, Saturn, Youranus and Neptune will all crush you

Mars has enough atmosphere to turn you into a meat popsicle.

Mars has places with literal temperate weather, where you could walk around in a shirt

O rly

Yup, most places are pretty much Antarctica, but if you are lucky you can get like 25°C on a good day.

kek

Mars has an atmospheric pressure less than 1% of Earth's, it is for all intents and purposes a vacuum with regard to human physiology.

I apologize

First, the body has no way to dispose of heat in a vacuum. If you're in sunlight, you'll boil alive very quickly, and if you're not, you'll still boil alive, just not so quickly, because your body still produces much more heat than it can radiate away.

You will probably get the benz, but that can be counteracted by just not having nitrogen in your air mix: you could have helium-oxygen, which would make you sound funny, but who cares. It could also be perfectly corrected for over radio since it's just a pitch shift.

The body is designed to keep you in, and it's pretty good at that, so just as long as you don't breathe your air at too high a pressure, you wont get too drastically swole.

>You would start sweating buckets, but the sweat would have nowhere to go and you would get covered head to toe in a layer of your own juice.
At outer space levels of vacuum, water vaporises instantly.

>short term heat transfer in vacuum is effectively a one way street
What the hell does it even mean?

>On the night side, you would most likely still die from your own body heat having nowhere to go, before you froze though.
Your body will radiate heat away until you freeze to death.

Your post is long and sounds scientific, but it's beyond retarded. Please, never post again.

I don't know where this idea that you'll fry to death comes from, if that were true the Earth would be an inferno. Assuming you were in space at the same distance from the Sun as Earth, the parts of you in sunlight should just eventually be heated to a similar temperature as Earth's.

The main problems you'd have are your body swelling up like a balloon and your lungs exploding every time you tried to take a breath, as well as your blood eventually boiling.

Guts exploding outta your ass? Definitely not.

Water vapour bubbles forming in your bloodstream? Definitely yes, and that's enough to kill you.

Basically the situation can be described as:
Small celestial bodies have gravity too weak to keep an atmosphere of any significant pressure (on Mars it's less than 1% of the Earth's), and vacuum kills you by boiling your blood.
On the bodies close to the sun (Mercury, Venus): it's way too hot.
On small bodies without an atmosphere AND a magnetic field (the Moon, Mars and many others: there is no protection from the high-energy cosmic rays and particles, which won't kill you instantly, but will shred you on a molecular level overtime.
On gaseous planets (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune): there is no solid surface to walk on. You'd be sucked into the planet and die of overpressure.

So, all in all, space is rather hostile to earthly life. There's a reason why spacesuits are themally insulated, pressurised and radiation-shielded.

the diameter of the earth is about 8000 miles. the maximum difference in surface elevation according to the picture is 160 miles, 2%. you wouldn't be able to perceive the variability with the naked eye.

Wrong.

According to US Standard atmosphere(1976) at 100km the atmosphere has a pressure of 0.032 pa compared to 100000pa that we consider to be standard pressure.

Provided is the phase diagram for water, note that liquid water doesn't exist at 1pa at all, you will die in space without a suit, if you discount the radiation, heat, and all other dangers, pressure will still ultimately kill you.

Why the fuck would it?
Your blood stream is pressurized, your respiratory system is sealed with mask you're wearing, hell, your digestive tract is pretty airtight all things considered.
Why the fuck would your blood boil in a vacuum, when your body is still one fucking bar?

Well I suppose if you had a helmet and vacuum sealed underwear it could be possible that pressure won't kill you, but once again all you're moving is where the pressure is acting on, your seal would be against skin with a massive pressure difference, either failing or causing complications.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebullism

Instead of shouting "fuck" repeatedly you could just use google, fucktard.

>Space hickey

> get the benz

Radiation

>okay so you swell up, so what

As the pressure drops (this takes place really quickly), all of the capillaries in your skin would burst from the water in your blood turning to vapor, your lungs would hemmorage, your eyes would bleed, your eardrums rupture, your mucous membranes (nasal cavity, tear ducts, etc) would start bleeding, etc...

You would die within minutes, and you would be in agony the entire time.

that's why.

It's not that fast
Yes your skin would bruise but it would be very survivable for a period
As long as orifices are covered, and your face you could handle several minutes of it with limited damage

>It's not that fast

I was thinking... "Popped the airlock", as opposed to slow decompression, combined with a FACE mask, and not a helmet...

Your ears would be kill, your dick and ass would be kill...

Your scrotum would be super kill.

You would have severe all over bruising and frostbite, but its not a "you die immediately" situation.

Of course without a face mask, yea you would likely die pretty quick

None of this is true.

>None of this is true.

your scrotum would inflate like a balloon, and pop.

youtube.com/watch?v=bWd31AefKns

So at which pressure levels will be dick be bigger but not pop?

On Titan you could given enough thermic protection.

>Venus
>Surface Temp. about 800 °F
>Lead melts at 350 °F

good luck with that

businessinsider.com/how-long-human-survive-outer-space-without-spacesuit-2017-5

You won't explode in a vacuum.

>any
>looks only at venus
hmm

If I fap then as I am about to cum I put my penis in a mini airlock with rubber lining to create an airtight seal against my skin and press a button to open the airlock, what would happen?

Theories

1: I get the spacesucc
2: my penis inflates blocking the urethra
3: my cock and balls inflate hugely and burst all kinds of capillaries
4: you don't explode in space because the pressure goes in all directions but because the pressure is almost constant my cock explodes then my innards get sucked into space like that alien-human hybrid in alien 4: perlman boogaloo

i need help sci, what will be outcome?
i did this but im not sure if i did it right

Hahaha

Muh niggers

doesn't it cause your blood to boil?

vacuum will turn you into soup. same thing happened with some missiles in the middle east. they exited the vehicle so fast that the vacuum was sucked out and the poor bastards inside were soupified